TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
15,155 Posts
Charter has a monopoly on the last mile to your house. TiVo (and others) have been permitted to hitch hike on that cable or Fiber (rare) by the FCC. Once cable cards lose support the monopoly (IMO) is restored.
Charter has a monopoly in the location you are discussing, and that at its heart is the issue.
Far too few communities have competitive delivery systems, I'm lucky in that I can choose from 2 separate Cable providers and Verizon FiOS

·
wait.. I did what?
15,155 Posts
I mean they have online ones with 4K etc. I just don’t use mine that much. Having a big sale soon. Lifetime on all.
How do you have access to those when you leave that subscription/cloud service and stop paying them?
Therein lies the rub, even if Comcast offered an unlimited cloud DVR, I can't take it with me, my Tivo's have been connected to at least 3 different providers, I always have access to things I recorded 3 providers ago, and I can save them if I really want to in 90% of the cases, that's not the same with an online product.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,155 Posts
Thanks for this very helpful post! Indeed, they swapped my old boxes for DCX3200's with cable cards.
Which would imply that they're not sunsetting CableCARDs and CC embedded boxes in your area.

Reactions: cwoody222
1 - 4 of 4 Posts