TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Here is the transcript of my chat w/ Spectrum Support today:

Hello, thank you for reaching out to Spectrum. I see you have questions about hardware. Please give me a moment to review your information.
To get started, may I please verify your full address including zip code.
Michael *, 2036 DR NE, *, MN,
Thank you. One moment please while I search that address.
How can I help?
I have received 2 e-mails about cablecard support ending, but none say when, and it is unclear why I am receiving this information. Do you have more detail as to how long my cable card will continue to operate?
If you are receiving the email it could be just one mass email to inform everyone.
I will check your account to see if you have anything pertaining to a cable card.
well, the e-mail seems more of a marketing type e-mail than a service update, but it is cause for concern
Alright let's take a look.
I can assure you, if Spectrum removes support for Cable Cards, i will cease being a Spectrum customer and will get my internet from elsewhere, and use a streaming service.
I understand. One moment.
Alright so I see where you have a Tuning adaptor which may be the reason you received the email.
I have a tuning adapter and a cablecard
We have discontinued them and they will no longer be available.
I run a TiVo on Spectrum TV service, have for more than 20 years
Right tivo will be cable card.
currently, have a TiVo Roamio with a cable card
The little small box that piggy backs off of the big box will be the tuning adapter.
so, the question is, when will these mentioned "service updates" take place that will render my TiVo useless?
I am aware about what the hardware I have is, and what it does
The text of the e-mail i received says this:
Dear Spectrum Customer, As a reminder, you are currently paying a monthly fee for one or more CableCARDs. A CableCARD is a one-way card device - about the size of a credit card - that allows access to TV services. As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time. We have other options for you to consider that will enhance your TV viewing experience, including providing you DVR functionality and access to thousands of Video On Demand options.
2:28 PM
so, I am asking, WHEN?
it is the most horribly worded message ever: "...CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time."
what exactly does that mean?
One moment and I will provide you with a when the system will change over.
June 14 at 2:32 PM
Still looking into this for you, thank you for your patience.
would prefer a true and correct answer to a fast one, so no problem.
I definitely understand.
Alright one moment.
June 14 at 2:37 PM
Alright so from what I gather we are not cutting them off we are simply discontinuing the product. Meaning if you have one you may keep it until it no longer works but once it stops working we will not have the equipment to replace it.
Right, totally understand that, asking when you are cutting them off...
is it in a week, a month, a year, 2 years?
or will it just quit working one day and that is that?
They aren't cutting them off.
That is what I thought at first when I read the email but they aren't cutting them off they are discontinuing the equipment.
so, if the equipment quits working, then I am out of luck, but if it keeps working forever, then it will just keep working?
I kind of doubt it, I thought the network operator had to get rid of it to make way for the high bandwidth network improvements...so when you roll out the next level (high-split??) internet, that is when cablecards are going to hit the dumpster?
As weird as that sounds yes.
So think of it this way. If you have a cell phone from 2010 they are not going to automatically cut the phone off just because it is old.
But once that phone breaks you will have to upgrade because they would no longer make that model.
Ok, I believe that is what you were told, but I don't believe it is the truth..we will see I guess...net, its a warning across the bow, sometime in the future, it may not work, but we have no plans right now...
This information was posted on something equal to an attention board.
So if it is wrong that think all agents would be in trouble haha.
ok
So you asked for more info, got more info, and then said you didn’t believe what you were told?

So your chat adds what value exactly?

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
The L-TWC dedicated CableCARD support group (which I believe was based in upstate NY due to the legacy of the Newhouse family) were, as you say, excellent. Sometime after the acquisition of L-TWC, and the (somewhat later) subsuming of the L-TWC CSR's into the Charter customer service approaches the dedicated number then forwarded to the general CSR pool, and that previous CableCARD group was (rumored) to be initially moved to a dedicated higher level tech support (no longer directly contactable by customers), and likely some moved to general CSR support (as while CableCARDs still exist, the numbers are small, and getting smaller).
I don’t know what “L-TWC” means but yes, their CC support was based in Buffalo.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Charter has a monopoly on the last mile to your house. TiVo (and others) have been permitted to hitch hike on that cable or Fiber (rare) by the FCC. Once cable cards lose support the monopoly (IMO) is restored.
Removing CC support does not remove TiVo’s freedom of ability to compete.

They can develop new technology and/or software. They can lease their services to existing companies. They can create their own IPTV service.

Tivo existed before cable cards existed. They can exist afterwards. It’s in their hands, not the government’s.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
My bad generality...the secondary networks (nets) I was referring to are USA, CNBC, MSNBC. AMC, A&E, Sundance, TBS etc. Using my Premieres and Hard Drives. I can capture up to 4 simultaneous programs and watch then weeks or monrths later..same with Dodge Baseball and HBO and SHOW with my current cable card package in the LA Metro. I can add add on the other Premiere input all channels captured OTA with my roof antenna. I can also use my Roku Soectrum (tile or channel) to back into Channel 1 or "on Demand". Streaming I subscribe to also can be stored using TiVo. What should I do when the Monopoly provider of cable to my house cuts my TiVo cards?
Tivo does not store your streaming shows. It simply provides convenient bookmarks to help you keep a list of what you are currently watching.

If you need or prefer local storage (a HD in your home) for your cable channel recordings, you’ll need a cable DVR or something like Tablo.

If local storage playback isn’t a concern, there are numerous streaming services you can consider.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
IPTV isn't the reason since Spectrum isn't really doing that yet. Spectrum's upload speed boost changes result in a "high-split" that will walk on cable card frequencies. That's the reason for the emails. It's all explained in reports posted earlier in the thread.
I was asking sroberts about his experience with Rev.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts

Charter to Cut Off CableCARD Support

By Daniel Frankel published 1 day ago

Network upgrades will render already obsolete cable-TV security standard utterly useless for the small number of loyal cable customers still using it in their TiVo and SiliconDust DVRs

I know this has been discussed but here is an article from NEXT TV NEWSLETTER
JS
I can’t read that article.

Is there anything new or just a rehash of Zatz?

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
After seven emails from Spectrum (June 7, June 14, June 22, July 7, July 11, July 14, July 21) and three postal mailings from Spectrum (June 20, July 11, July 14), it looks like that the CableCard fiasco for my area is going to happen some time next month.

I called over there today after getting the third mailing showing up yesterday and seventh email today. In the conversation I had with this person, they tossed out that I should be "ready" for this change to my CableCards no longer working by August 1st, as it's supposed to happen in my area in August. Last time I checked, that's an entire month and August 1st is 10 days from today's date.

To me, that seems more than a little insane for me to be "ready" that my CableCards might stop working in 10 days' time To say my response was a little irritated might be an understatement. Said rep kept saying repeatedly that the reason they've sent all these emails and all these postal mailings is to make sure I was "ready" for the change. My counterpoint to that flippant point she was making is that I've called them repeatedly to ask when this might happen, this being the sixth call I've made on this issue. This was the only time to date since I started calling on this back in early part of June, was to ask them when this might happen. So, now, we made it to the last 10 days in July and the change is going to happen sometime in August, Which, again, is 10-40 days from now.

Though, as this rep kept telling me, I should be "ready" by August 1st "just in case". She didn't have a firm date, didn't know who had a firm date inside of the entire organization of Spectrum, though I would be "contacted" when the date would be set. My assumption is that I'd get something in the mail / email likely a week at most in advance of the change, so then it would be all the worse without having the "advance" notice I have now.

Yes, I know, a lot of air quotes in this one. I'm in the St. Louis MO area, so I don't know if this is their starting point for the rest of the county, their initial test rollout that they're going to do first and wait a bit to see how the dust settles, no idea. I doubt they're going to put any real scheduling into their plan to make this change, though since it could happen as early as August 1st, I need to make my plans to go have them gone from my usual watching scenario as quickly as possible.

The main irritation I'm going to have with this is having the free streaming options tied to my Spectrum service / account that I have are now going to be shifted around to see how it goes and what has to get paid out of my own pocket. First order of business was to order AT&T Fiber and start with an Internet changeover, which hopefully will work with no issues on the install for Saturday.

So, what I can offer as advice, at least from personal experience, is that when the CableCard drop happens in your area, you may not have as much warning about it as would make sense or would be acceptable for people to make major changes to their TV watching.
Stop listening to mindless CSR drones who know nothing.

When a date is set it will be clearly communicated.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Not in my past experience with Charter. Communications for large scale changes out here have never been communicated well or with any sense of direction.
Changes such as “your equipment will cease to function and the service you are paying for will not be able to be received within your home”?

Yes, they’re legally required to notify you of such changes with sufficient notice.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Here's the email I got yesterday. I'm in Central KY:
View attachment 73663

This is one of several I've received, plus USPS mailings as well. Also, phone calls from the Cable Card Support number.
They're definitely pummeling us with "dire" warnings.
Thanks for sharing.

That’s the same marketing message that many have reported.

It does not say that CC support is ending.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I guess it depends on how you interpret "CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time."

"future service upgrades" --- how far in the future? what kind of upgrades? what about CURRENT services?
"some time" -- does this imply that support will come back eventually? what amount of time are we talking about?

As an engineer, I know that marketing folks speak in vague, ambiguous terms. That gives them leeway to interpret the words any way they please.
I'm not holding my breath waiting for a clear, concise statement from them, for sure.
But at least one report from KY (Spectrum cable) is also claiming that Spectrum leased cable boxes are to be replaced within the next month.

That would entail what? 10’s of thousands? 100’s of thousands? of boxes?

And not a single peep anywhere on the internet reporting this massive effort and inconvenience to all those customers?

Just some technician told her?

Yea, I don’t buy it. People are being misled by bad info.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I'm new to this whole thing as we're in the process of moving from the Chicago area (Comcast) to Reno, NV (Spectrum). Won't be in the Reno home until late this year. If I'm reading this topic correctly, we're going to be SOL on using our TiVo Roamio when we get to Reno.

Between now and then (we're already out of the old home and staying in an extended stay hotel until the new home is ready), I'm trying YouTube TV to see how well that works. First night worked well; last night not so well (hotel Internet seemed to be overloaded - a speed test showed download speed substantially below 1 Mbps). If nothing else, the next couple of months gives me a chance to see how well YouTube TV works as assuming I'm correct that our TiVo will not be usable at our new home (other than for what's already on it), I'd prefer to punish Spectrum for their CableCard decision and not give them any TV business (although they may be unavoidable for Internet). Plus I've read their DVR product is not all that great.
There is no guaranteed date when Spectrum will no longer support CC. And it could very greatly by region.

They also may prevent new signups before they pull support entirely.

So there’s really no way to say what the case will be when you move to Reno.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Welp - here we are (decades long Tivo users in many cities) on the cusp of moving to a town where Spectrum is the only cable - and only ISP choice!!! All this talk of no longer supporting cablecards is disconcerting - but I see people are still using them. We are at about 50/50 streaming (Apple TV) and using our Roamio Pro (original UI) -

Just pondering if Tivo's going to be "canceled" by Spectrum soon - maybe it's better to switch now to broadband + YouTubeTV (for instance). Scanning the forums (tldr) opinions seem all over the map but so far there hasn't been a global elimination of Tivo on Spectrum... hmmm
Spectrum still supports CableCards in each of its markets.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
End of October come and gone, CableCards still working as before. No emails or postal mailings in a few weeks, so maybe they're on pause until they figure out when they're actually going to make this change.
Or maybe people should stop listening to phone agents and tech installers who don’t know the full story, and then reporting what they’re told as fact?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts