TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Spectrum and cable card

61K views 387 replies 73 participants last post by  michaelj3 
Since this is a Spectrum cablecard labeled thread...I've been with Spectrum and their cablecard since I bought my first HD set, a JVC DiLA set with a cablecard slot almost two decades ago. After that, two HD THX TiVos. Each two tuner THX device took two cards back then (no multi cards). The entire experience from then until now, including the transition to multicards and SDV and having to get the TA, has gone better than expected. They have a dedicated support line for cable cards and TAs, and it's not the usual desk jockeys reading from a script. Those people know their business, and never failed to remotely fix any issues I had. Many of them also used TiVos, which helped.

All that is to say that I have been a satisfied customer overall for decades. Their images get worse each year because they insist on ramping up their compression engine to be able to accommodate more shopping channels and foreign language bundles (which are HUGE moneymakers for them). But no matter how bad it got, it was still better than the unwatchable garbage DirecTV and DISH have been peddling for decades.
I do not disagree. They have willingly supported cableCARDs in my TiVo for many years. Only once did they have to roll a truck to get mine working…and the only other difficulty was when I got my Roamio Pro and the TA FW was not updated, but on that one they actually worked with TiVO, Motorola, and pushed an update to me within 3 days, which I thought was amazing given 3 companies had to work together. I have no real issue if they end up killing support, I’ll shop ISP’s (we also have MetroNet Fiber here offering Gb symmetrical), and move to some sort of streaming option. I just wish they would be forthcoming with their plans, and word the dang notice such that us customers can actually understand the plans…

Note my post (#138) in this thread...as of today, at least in my market...its over.

Update, today I received the e-mail again, this time with "THIRD NOTICE" in the subject line.

THIRD NOTICE: Your Spectrum Equipment
Hello Spectrum Customer,​
As a reminder, you are currently paying a monthly fee for one or more CableCARDs. A CableCARD is a one-way card device – about the size of a credit card – that allows access to TV services.

As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time. We have other options for you to consider that will enhance your TV viewing experience, including providing you DVR functionality and access to thousands of Video On Demand options.

If you haven’t already, avoid the monthly fee of a CableCARD by taking advantage of one of the below offers:​
  • 50% off Apple TV† (not available for pick-up in stores)
  • Free Spectrum Receiver for 24 months*

In addition, we are offering free Cloud DVR services for 24 months! ** With Spectrum’s Cloud DVR service, you can record your favorite TV programs and watch them remotely from your devices.

To learn more about these offers or if you no longer require your CableCARD(s), call us at 866-532-2598 or stop by your local Spectrum Store. Visit Spectrum.com/stores for locations. We will remove any monthly CableCARD fee from your account. You do not need to return your CableCARD(s) to Spectrum.

Sincerely,
Kathleen Griffin
VP, Marketing Communications
I still feel like this is the single most poorly worded e-mail I have ever read...what is this suppsoed to mean:
"As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time."

My cynical self says the vagueness is completely intentional...

Update, today I received the e-mail again, this time with "THIRD NOTICE" in the subject line.

THIRD NOTICE: Your Spectrum Equipment
Hello Spectrum Customer,​
As a reminder, you are currently paying a monthly fee for one or more CableCARDs. A CableCARD is a one-way card device – about the size of a credit card – that allows access to TV services.

As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time. We have other options for you to consider that will enhance your TV viewing experience, including providing you DVR functionality and access to thousands of Video On Demand options.

If you haven’t already, avoid the monthly fee of a CableCARD by taking advantage of one of the below offers:
  • 50% off Apple TV† (not available for pick-up in stores)
  • Free Spectrum Receiver for 24 months*
In addition, we are offering free Cloud DVR services for 24 months! ** With Spectrum’s Cloud DVR service, you can record your favorite TV programs and watch them remotely from your devices.

To learn more about these offers or if you no longer require your CableCARD(s), call us at 866-532-2598 or stop by your local Spectrum Store. Visit Spectrum.com/stores for locations. We will remove any monthly CableCARD fee from your account. You do not need to return your CableCARD(s) to Spectrum.

Sincerely,
Kathleen Griffin
VP, Marketing Communications

Here is the transcript of my chat w/ Spectrum Support today:

Hello, thank you for reaching out to Spectrum. I see you have questions about hardware. Please give me a moment to review your information.
To get started, may I please verify your full address including zip code.
Michael ****, 2036 *** DR NE, ***, MN, **
Thank you. One moment please while I search that address.
How can I help?
I have received 2 e-mails about cablecard support ending, but none say when, and it is unclear why I am receiving this information. Do you have more detail as to how long my cable card will continue to operate?
If you are receiving the email it could be just one mass email to inform everyone.
I will check your account to see if you have anything pertaining to a cable card.
well, the e-mail seems more of a marketing type e-mail than a service update, but it is cause for concern
Alright let's take a look.
I can assure you, if Spectrum removes support for Cable Cards, i will cease being a Spectrum customer and will get my internet from elsewhere, and use a streaming service.
I understand. One moment.
Alright so I see where you have a Tuning adaptor which may be the reason you received the email.
I have a tuning adapter and a cablecard
We have discontinued them and they will no longer be available.
I run a TiVo on Spectrum TV service, have for more than 20 years
Right tivo will be cable card.
currently, have a TiVo Roamio with a cable card
The little small box that piggy backs off of the big box will be the tuning adapter.
so, the question is, when will these mentioned "service updates" take place that will render my TiVo useless?
I am aware about what the hardware I have is, and what it does
The text of the e-mail i received says this:
Dear Spectrum Customer, As a reminder, you are currently paying a monthly fee for one or more CableCARDs. A CableCARD is a one-way card device - about the size of a credit card - that allows access to TV services. As we continue to upgrade our networks and technology, CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time. We have other options for you to consider that will enhance your TV viewing experience, including providing you DVR functionality and access to thousands of Video On Demand options.
2:28 PM
so, I am asking, WHEN?
it is the most horribly worded message ever: "...CableCARDs will not be compatible with future service upgrades for some time."
what exactly does that mean?
One moment and I will provide you with a when the system will change over.
June 14 at 2:32 PM
Still looking into this for you, thank you for your patience.
would prefer a true and correct answer to a fast one, so no problem.
I definitely understand.
Alright one moment.
June 14 at 2:37 PM
Alright so from what I gather we are not cutting them off we are simply discontinuing the product. Meaning if you have one you may keep it until it no longer works but once it stops working we will not have the equipment to replace it.
Right, totally understand that, asking when you are cutting them off...
is it in a week, a month, a year, 2 years?
or will it just quit working one day and that is that?
They aren't cutting them off.
That is what I thought at first when I read the email but they aren't cutting them off they are discontinuing the equipment.
so, if the equipment quits working, then I am out of luck, but if it keeps working forever, then it will just keep working?
I kind of doubt it, I thought the network operator had to get rid of it to make way for the high bandwidth network improvements...so when you roll out the next level (high-split??) internet, that is when cablecards are going to hit the dumpster?
As weird as that sounds yes.
So think of it this way. If you have a cell phone from 2010 they are not going to automatically cut the phone off just because it is old.
But once that phone breaks you will have to upgrade because they would no longer make that model.
Ok, I believe that is what you were told, but I don't believe it is the truth..we will see I guess...net, its a warning across the bow, sometime in the future, it may not work, but we have no plans right now...
This information was posted on something equal to an attention board.
So if it is wrong that think all agents would be in trouble haha.
ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.