TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Clave Man
88 Posts
I think MLB or the broadcast rights holders are on the verge of offering team streaming subscriptions with no geographic blackouts, but I've been thinking of going to radio and internet updates once my Spectrum new customer discount expires anyway. I attend about 20 games/year in person so why do I need to pay for the broadcast rights on those?
I have been shopping around for a streaming service with local channels. I live in St. Louis. I want to switch to a streaming service with local channels.

Far as I can tell there are 3 "serious" alternatives for full "cable comparable" service: DirecTV Stream, Hulu, and YouTubeTV.

My family said "We want the St Louis Cardinals games!". Spectrum carries all home and away Cardinal MLB games on "Bally Sports Midwest" network (the old Fox Sports Midwest acquired recently -- Cardinals own 30%)

Guess who has EXCLUSIVE rights to Bally Sports? DirecTV Stream. They are no TiVo.

We get MLB.TV (like NFL Sunday Ticket) but no Cardinals games (black out rules).

I don't know what to do.

· Clave Man
88 Posts
Spectrum has Bally Sports Midwest. You have no access to Spectrum?
Thanks. Yes I currently have Spectrum and Bally Sports MidWest. I have had two TiVo's operating for many years.

My problem is cost.
My Spectrum "bundle" (landline $10, lowend Internet 300MB, and TV Silver package) adds up to $206 including a 12 month $30 for my "Silver tier" upgrade. Add $30 a month for TiV0 service on two boxes and you are way too far north.

I have been shopping for a new option. I could keep Spectrum internet and use a stream service. If the Spectrum Stream service consists of that awful Spectrum App I see on AppleTV then time to switch.

Switch to what? Local channels and Bally Sports Midwest leaves me with .. DirecTV satellite, Dish Network, and DirecTV Stream. If there are other options I would love to hear it.

· Clave Man
88 Posts
I am just going to add for the lucky St. Louis customers. Pure speculation.. but this has been generally true in the past.
Charter Cable (now Spectrum) was founded in St. Louis. Traditionally St Louis gets things first as a kind of beta test.

St. Louis go the first (or one of the first few) high bandwidth services at no upcharge.
Makes sense to me that we will be "lucky" and get to beta test the "confiscation" of cable cards.
Managers ar Charter stores in the St Louis Metro may get training and then teach others.
Training: "Throw cablecard in trash bin. Offer mobile service."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts