TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
@sharkster Do you have any non TiVo streaming devices? If so, your easiest path may be to take the 24 month cloud DVR option and use the Spectrum app. If you're open to other approaches, YouTube TV, DirecTV streaming, and others may work as well.

I use the Spectrum app for a few channels as I refuse to use the tuning adapter. Haven't used the Cloud DVR but the app itself works "OK". It ain't TiVo.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I got it too. This is BS. Clearly trying to get cablecards out of circulation. As if any of their "incentives" for me turning in my cablecard are worth the paper they're printed on. The moment they stop supporting cablecard is the moment they are no longer competitive with any other alternative.
Agreed. Literally the only thing I can't get with YTTV is the failing Pittsburgh Pirates, now that they've added the Weather Channel.

I can always read about the Bucs losing the next day...

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
OK, figured it out.

You can enter your current address, but to see various available channel packages, you have to click on "I'm a new customer at this address".

You can then select the package from a drop down menu. It's called Spectrum TV Choice.

It's a cable package, right, not a streaming package? So without a cable card enabled TiVo or one of their set top boxes, you would have to use the Spectrum App to stream the content?
Correct. I've used it both ways back when I had it previously.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I do wonder about this in general. If these early locations end up representing a critical mass of CableCard users, would Spectrum then just cut everyone off at once as any support effort begins to outweigh any benefit to them.

(Random musings as I listen to a customer not understanding why they won't receive finalized engineering deliverables at contract signing.)

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I’m from St. Louis and after 3 years of trying to lower my rate, Charter finally “let” me switch to save some money. They bumped my internet speed from 100 to 400 for free (3 years) and lowered my TV package with cable cards. It’s funny because the last time I called they wouldn’t change my package because they said, “They weren’t offering those packages or cable cards any longer. They were offering streaming-only.” I said I had 2 Tivos and wouldn’t be able to record anything and they offered cloud DVRs. I told them that’s what the Tivos are for!

It was unusual that they specified “3 years” for the free internet upgrade. I thought they might have been monitoring my internet traffic or VOIP calls since I had researched moving to YouTube, Hulu and AT&T. It’s strange how “grandfathered” was used to lock me in to pricing without a way to lower pricing without losing channels BUT Charter continually added/deleted channels and raised pricing all along.
I just got the similar 3 years treatment here in NW PA (NE Ohio Spectrum division). I was expecting to have to fully move to YTTV when my promo expired in May. Instead, for $8 over then current, I got 400 meg upgrade for 3 years and continued the same cable package.

My current bill is $131 and change for TV Select, 400 megs, and 2 cable cards. The WAF with YouTube TV is not great, so was worth staying with Spectrum for another year. As with others, I'll convert TiVo to OTA when the cable cards go away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts