TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
We got screwed when the FCC didn't have the balls to require an IPTV access standard. You'd think this is what gov't is supposed to do (i.e. standards) but you'd be wrong, although somehow it was perfectly ok to do ATSC 3.0.

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
What kind of content from your local channels do you really want that you can't get via one streaming app or another? ABC and Fox shows are on Hulu next-day. NBC shows are on Peacock Premium next-day, while their live sports and SNL stream live. CBS shows are next-day on Paramount+, with sports (including NFL) streaming live. You can even live stream the full local CBS station if you're on their ad-free plan. PBS shows stream same-time in the free PBS app and most local PBS stations live stream in it too. CW shows are next-day (with ads) in the free CW app. Main thing you'd be missing would be the live sports that Fox airs, including Sunday NFL games.
The big problem with sports streaming, if you go with individual streamers, is that they don't keep the streams for later viewing if you can't/won't watch live (because of commercials etc.). This is the main reason why some sports fans will stick with Tivo or something like YTTV that has a DVR feature, because we don't watch most sports live.

It's a big issue with a lot of streamers, unfortunately. I won't be watching the Amazon Thursday night NFL games this fall because of this, even though we have Prime.

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
Good point. But are you saying that if watching Thursday Night Football live is your only choice, then you won't even bother to turn it on at all?
If I'm forced to watch the AMZ games live I won't watch, because I'm not going to sit through the commercials. If they let me chase watch and skip then I might watch some of them. I'm hoping they will be available to watch after they finish, but I doubt it.

I wanted to watch the end of the first couple of British Open rounds that aired on Peacock this week, because I was chase-watching the USA network broadcast that ended at 3pm or so and then continued on Peacock. Nope, not an option - if you didn't catch it live it wasn't available. This is a real problem for sports streaming, you never know what you can and can't watch after the event. Not a real issue if you sub to YTTV or DTVS and you can DVR it, but if it's streaming-only you're hosed.

Another example is the IndyCar race in Toronto today, only available on Peacock (a first for them), but NBC is only going to show 5 minutes of commercials so I can deal with that. I doubt it will be available after it airs though.

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
Interesting - so now we have reports that St. Louis and Central Kentucky will lose cards next month. If it does actually happen it's just a matter of time until they all die on Spectrum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts