TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New HBO dramedy, on Sunday nights. After Euphoria (what a lead-in!), and The Righteous Gemstones. Premiered tonight (Jan 16), seven episodes.

Interesting little show. I'll always try an HBO series. About ten minutes in, I wasn't impressed. Almost quit, but thought, hey it's HBO, give it a chance. By the end of the half-hour, I liked it. I'm not sure what it's going to end up being, if anything, but it kept me watching. And I felt like I already knew all these people in just thirty minutes, great character development. A teensy bit treacly at the very end, but it felt organic to the pilot.

I'll be back to see where this goes.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The first episode seemed to be most of the trailer expanded. Only six more and of course I'm in til the end no matter what because I'm such a huge Bridget fan. I spent the last couple of weeks going down the rabbit hole of watching every video of her I could find on YouTube. She's not exactly playing herself but there are a lot of biographical similarities. There's a good NY Times article but it has a potential paywall for people who have used up their free allotment: Bridget Everett Shows Off Her Softer Side. And a Bra.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,601 Posts
I watched this at the recommendation of some folks here who loved the lead actress. I thought it was just OK (and maybe it doesn't resonate for me as a big city person). But I did like the vibe between the lead and the co-worker who is leading the choir and I thought it ended well enough to give it another episode. But honestly, if this is an example of who the lead actress is, I don't get all the love.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,177 Posts
She's a stand-up comic and she sings. Her on-screen persona in this show is quite different than her stand-up. Her stand-up is really... ah... blue. She's very funny although it's not my favorite type of comedy. I saw an interview where she said (a) her fans will be pretty surprised how tame the show is, but they wanted it to be more of a feel-good show than a hard-edged show: closer to Ted Lasso; and (b) this is what she thinks her life might have been like if she'd not moved to New York City and found her people :)

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
What makes her comedy work as well as it does is not only the shock value to audiences unfamiliar with her, but also that she arguably has one of the best voices in the world and could have made a run at a straight-faced career just doing that. I think her character in Somebody Somewhere is more like her off-stage persona in real life. Even in wildebeest stage mode you can tell she's a down-to-earth nice person when she breaks character.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I'm really enjoying this. The situation with her parents is sad though. That's surely headed for a train wreck. I didn't expect to see this show hinting so much towards her real life stage persona as it did, and in only her 2nd choir performance. She's a unique performer but if I had to describe her performance style to others, even before Meat Loaf passed, I'd say the closest analogy is like a female cross between Sam Kinison and Meat Loaf.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,601 Posts
I'm about ready to bail on this show. I really want to like it, but it's so boring, and only occasionally funny. I'll give it one more and see if it gets better. Maybe she's just not my kind of humor.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
13,935 Posts
Renewed for season 2, three episodes into it's seven episode season 1.
Excellent! As I said in the other thread, I was watching the current episode thinking that while I love it, it isn't for everyone and will probably only see the single season. This makes me very happy.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's definitely different. It's one of those shows you're not sure why you like, but you do. I find it strangely appealing.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about ready to bail on this show. I really want to like it, but it's so boring, and only occasionally funny. I'll give it one more and see if it gets better. Maybe she's just not my kind of humor.
You might try last night's episode. We went from nothing happening, to everything happening.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,601 Posts
I watched the last two episodes. I agree, a lot happened with the tornado and all, and her sister finding out her husband cheated, but based on folks here describing Bridget Everett as being REALLY funny and a show stealer when doing comedy shows, this show was far from what I was expecting. It's another in a long line of "modern comedies" that are both dark and not really funny. I'll probably watch the rest of the season (one more?) and not sure if I'll be back. To be honest, I'm really tired of these dark comedies. There are plenty of dramas I can watch if I want to watch a series topic. I find the juxtaposition with something like Resident Alien interesting. This is a half hour comedy that's not all that funny, and R.E. is an hour "drama" that's hilarious. To each their own I guess. I'm sure this will get nominated for an Emmy, because it's the type of show the critics might like. But I'll take my comedies funny please.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished the season tonight. Still an oddly endearing show. I think to look at it as a sitcom, or a dark comedy, is to give it short shrift. It's simply an affectionate slice of life. A show like this lives or dies by the ineffable charm of its actors. Along with strong writing, it brings to life somebody, somewhere.

But I can see how it's not for everyone.

"The guy holding the tiny poodle" 🤣 🤣

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
13,935 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts