TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Maybe I am being a little thick but when you say your download speed is 1/4 to 1/8 of what it can be, what are you comparing it to?

Maybe you could be a little more specific on what all the pieces of your network are and how they are connected.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Are you sure you have the terminology correct, just for reference:

1024 Kilobytes (KB) = 1 Megabyte (MB)

however:

1024 Kilobytes (KB) = 8 Megabits (Mb)

I think my DSL connection at home shows as a 3 Megabit (Mb) connection (not 3 Megabyte (MB)) and I get 200-400 KB/sec downloads. At work on a T-1 line I see about the same download rate as I do at home.

Have you actually seen 2-4 Megabyte (MB) (2000 - 4000 KB) downloads when you connect directly to the cable modem?

Anyone else want to comment on this?

Thanks,

atmuscarella

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Ok that site is giving the info in Kilobits/sec (Kb) which means your cable modem is a 2-4 Megabit (Mb) connection which makes sense. It also means the 300-500 Kilobits/sec you are getting through your wireless router is terrible.

Do you have a friend that could let you borrower his/her wireless router to see what happens with another router?

Have you talked to the cable company to see if they have any recommendations?

If you were going to buy the Linksys WRT54g locally and if it is easy to return I would go ahead and buy it and see how it works.

At this point I think you need someone that knows more about Belkin 7230-4 Wireless Routers than I do to recommend changes on the router.

Good Luck,

atmuscarella

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
davezatz,

Was the D-Link a DI-524? I picked one up a few weeks back for $20 after rebate. Has been working great as my second LAN since I installed it. It was recommend to me by one of the moderators on Wi-Fi Planet Forums. Seems like a great router for the price.

Thanks,

atmuscarella

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.