TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Some Babylon 5 news

4K views 65 replies 17 participants last post by  dianebrat 
#1 ·
We've all known about the B5 reboot which is still in limbo until the presumed WGA strike is either called off or settled.

But last year JMS told us about a 2nd B5 project that would be unveiled around the time of the 2023 SD Comic-Con.

The 1st hints of that secret project are starting to come out. First is this:

This this dropped a bit later in the day.

I know there's a bigger tease coming next Wedensday 5/3

So this is appropriate:

See less See more
#3 ·
Even though I have been a member of his Patreon page since it started, and he teased this to us 2 years ago this month ee still have no idea what it is.

All we know is that this was in production in April of 2021. He called this B5-A. It predates his telling us about the reboot by about 3 months.

I am amazed that nothing has leaked out in the past couple of years to give us a glimpse of what it is.

#18 ·
I think that article gives us enough information to know exactly where in the overall story/timeline this is going to be rooted. (Any sentence beyond that has the potential to be semi-spoilery to anyone that doesn't want to know. I mean, not really, just airing on the side of caution).

#22 ·
So apparently The CW has returned all development rights to the shows WB was working on back to WB According to this article.

Live-Action Powerpuff Girls, Diggle's Justice U Among Pre-Nexstar Projects No Longer in Development at The CW

While not specifically listed, this presumabley includes the B5 Reboot that's been in limbo since 2021.

It does say the studios are free to shop them around to new distribution/places to air. So this is both good news and bad news for our Schrödinger's B5 series. The bad news is the reboot on CW is dead. The good news is it can now be shopped elsewhere.

A few landing spots I can think of would be HBO MAX/Max, the new WB free streaming service that may be called WBTV, Apple+ (I hope not), Amazon Prime (Doubtful), NetFlix (Again I hope not). Or one of the cable channels.

But until the writer's strike is resolved all this speculation is a moot point.

#23 ·
A few landing spots I can think of would be HBO MAX/Max, the new WB free streaming service that may be called WBTV, Apple+ (I hope not), Amazon Prime (Doubtful), NetFlix (Again I hope not). Or one of the cable channels.
It's becoming more and more clear to me that distribution networks (i.e. the cable tv channels or streaming services) really only want to distribute things they also make. They are able to squeeze more money out of a show that way. A project like B5 was going to be a niche market thing to start with. I can't imagine any distribution network picking it up unless they think they can get hundreds of thousands of people to pay for their streaming service for many years based on just that show.

#24 ·
Some news. Earlier in the week JMS posted via Twitter the 1st official images from the animated movie The Road Home. Here they are. Here's the link to the tweet with them.

Font Symbol Circle Logo Graphics

Glasses Vision care Eyewear Gesture Sleeve

Vertebrate Art Painting Fictional character Visual arts

Hairstyle Fashion Coat Gesture Social group

2nd As has been said previously, mid June will see the release of the trailer, as that time now upon us, I'm hopefully expecting to see something this coming week.

Reactions: tim1724
#45 ·
Some news. Earlier in the week JMS posted via Twitter the 1st official images from the animated movie The Road Home. Here they are. Here's the link to the tweet with them.

So I was at that session at Phoenix Fan Fusion where JMS shared these images for the first time. He also said that he had the trailer on his computer and begged WB to let him leak it at the session but they said absolutely not.

Wait, is that Zathras or Zathras?
That was the first question someone asked as soon as JMS showed this picture. The response was "You're wrong. It's Zathras."

#28 ·
I agree, but let's see what it looks like in motion and with the voices. To me, it doesn't look as good as the promo shot of the station that came out a few weeks ago. That one looked great.

#30 ·
I imagine so, but I don't know for sure. I wasn't in Phoenix when he 1st showed these. I'll reach out to some folks that were and see if JMS said anything about it.

#35 ·
The trailer has leaked a few hours early. Looks like it will be available on disk on Aug. 15th

Trailer looks great and the replacement voices sound pretty good esp. Sinclair and Zathras. No not Zathras, that voice sucks. But Zathras sounds great.

#42 ·
If you read my message above, there will be a blu-ray ss well as 4k & 4k ultra discs released the same day as the digital version.

"Pricing and film information:

PRODUCT SRP

Digital purchase $19.99

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack + Digital Version* $39.99 SRP USA

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack $44.98 SRP Canada

Blu-ray + Digital Version* $29.98 SRP USA

Blu-ray $39.99 SRP Canada"

#47 ·
JMS posted this yesterday. So sometime this morning we'll find out what it is. Since the WGA and Actors strikes are still ongoing I doubt it has anything to do with the Reboot or any more animated films.

My guess is a blu-ray release of the remasterd series.

Font Brand Darkness Screenshot Engineering

#50 ·
Here's what JMS had to say on his Facebook page:

"
ATTENTION BABYLON 5 FANS! YOU WANTED IT, YOU ASKED FOR IT, AND IT'S FINALLY HAPPENED! To celebrate B5's 30th Anniversary, Babylon 5: The Complete Series will be released ON BLU-RAY December 5, '23. Pre-orders can be placed STARTING TODAY via the retailer of your choice. (Just waiting for some of the online sites to catch up.)
To address some of the obvious questions: I wasn't directly involved with the release, so I don't know much more than you do or what's in the release/at the retail sites but I can add what little I do know: the release includes The Gathering (but not the movies or Crusade) because TG was our pilot (technically the first) episode, so it's a legit part of the series which fits the title mandate; the other movies were separate, and Crusade is a completely different series, so it doesn't belong in this box set.

This is essentially the same as the very nice 4:3 remaster done for HBO-Max, which matches the original broadcast, but putting it onto Blu-Ray increases the bitrate so it should look even better than it did there. WB wanted to include the commentaries but with everything else involved with this, it apparently wasn't feasible (that's the extent of what I was told, so I've no idea what that entails).

Since I'm not directly involved with the release, as with all things related to B5's distribution plans, I do not have any inside information concerning foreign releases or other languages. That's all on the Warners side, so please direct any inquiries in that direction.

Finally, for folks asking where they can find a link to where this is available...like all major studio releases, this will be made available to all the usual online places where you normally buy Blu-Ray disks. It will be rolling out to those sites starting today.

What matters most in all this is that after years of asking for a Blu-Ray release, which will make this show look more beautiful than it ever has before. Fans can now own the full series in pristine form on physical media without being held hostage by the whims of streamers. I'm very excited by this release, as it further assures the legacy of Babylon 5. Onward!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.