TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before VM offer TiVo to the wider public and not wanting to open old wounds etc, but genuinely wanting to know if you are happy with your VM TiVo, all things considered (e.g. cost, level of support from VM, number of bugs etc)?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Frankly, I'm disappointed with mine. After loving my S1 Tivo in its time I guess I was expecting so much. I resurrected my S1 before I got my VM one and find its easier to use, and finds more programmes in its wishlists. Oh, and the 10 yer old model is faster.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The hardware is a big step forward over my old series 1 TiVo. The software is a step backwards.

I'm happy in the sense that it's an improvement overall and I wouldn't want to go back, but I'm not content. Having to enter a PIN on 50% of programmes; having to wait for the UI to catch up with my button presses; having to work with the lobotomised Guide: my daily interactions with it are painful. The HD support, three tuners, bigger hard disk and more reliable channel changes are what make it worth it.

Someone should buy the VM guys an iPad, so they can see what we expect from a modern appliance.

·
VM Tivo User
9,015 Posts
Someone should buy the VM guys an iPad, so they can see what we expect from a modern appliance.
Yes. Because Apple products are perfect and don't have any bugs at all, do they? :p

If and when they iron-out the problems you mention - and I agree with all of them - then Tivo only be be even better than it is now :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am very happy with mine. The issues I have experienced have been relatively minor.

It is like having your own personal TV channel tailored to you.

I also like the fact that it is constantly evolving and the potential is huge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm very happy with mine too. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's miles ahead of the Sky+ HD box I was effectively forced to switch to when my Series 1 was retired (to allow me to watch HD). Admittedly in some respects it seems somewhat less efficient than the S1 TiVo, but then it's also doing a whole lot more stuff - because the world's moved on.

If they'd just allow me to select "Channels I receive" then that'd be the icing on the cake for me as far as key functionality is concerned. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very pleased with it so far. Having three tuners makes a huge difference - I remember first time around with TiVo cancelling Sky Movies because we could never find a slot to record the big films.

The guide data needs work, though - it's still missing a lot of the premieres.

·
Large member (Ooer!)
186 Posts
On the whole, yes, very happy. There are still far too many reboots and GUI freezes. I do get irked having to trawl through greyed out channels I don't subscribe to and it would be nice to have the promised network access and iPad app. Iron out the gripes and in a side by side comparison the VM TiVo outshines the S1.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Moderately Happy, but is it the delight to use that the old TIVO was? Certainly not at the moment.

Personally, I feel that Virgin have taken advantage of the loyalty of Series 1 users to get them to beta test the software, which was released to us with an awful lot of bugs and missing items.

I had a call from Virgin the other day, and the engineer couldn't have been more attentive in writing down the various problem areas I mentioned, and I certainly got the impression that they fully intend to keep working on it until it is undisputedly the best PVR on the market.

But it does appear that the price to the general public will be droping fairly quickly, even if it's for a unit with half the capacity, long before most of the faults are addressed.

Kudos to Virgin though for getting the 3rd tuner working on time. And ask us again in a year's time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.