TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 163 Posts

· Registered
4,264 Posts
Those are just examples. New recordings of songs from the big band era are still being done. Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, for example.

· Registered
8,332 Posts
Wow, was Chapelle even in enough to be considered a host? Why bother to even have him on, especially with the controversy and strife he allegedly caused in the writers room?

He just stood around with a lit cigarette most of the night. He couldn’t even stick to the standard “stick around we’ll be right back” script.

I hope this was his last visit.

· Premium Member
11,075 Posts
I know Chappelle is trying to channel people like Lenny Bruce with the cigarette but really it’s 2022 not 1955. When he came out and did his attempt at a controversial monologue without a cigarette I thought good he is leaving that crutch behind. Nope he had one the rest of the show.

As usual I enjoyed weekend update the rest I just sat and watched and sort of slept through.

· Meh.
41,546 Posts
I thought Chappelle's extended opening monologue was great. I don't know why people are bent out of shape over a cigarette. I barely noticed it. If that's his schtick then that's his schtick. Doesn't bother me.

· MacAphile AV geek
528 Posts
Yep - the Opening monologue was great, but didn't look like any of the cast came to hug him or anything during the closing sequence.
Wow, was Chapelle even in enough to be considered a host? Why bother to even have him on, especially with the controversy and strife he allegedly caused in the writers room?

He just stood around with a lit cigarette most of the night. He couldn’t even stick to the standard “stick around we’ll be right back” script.

I hope this was his last visit.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Excellent opening monologue. Even the skits were good. One of the better shows so far this season. “It shouldn’t be this scary to talk about anything. It’s made my job incredibly difficult and to be honest with you, I’m getting sick of talking to a crowd like this. I love you to death and I thank you for your support and I hope they don’t take anything away from me. Whoever they are.”

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,452 Posts
I'm not a fan of Chapelle and I didn't like his opening monologue and thought it went on WAY too long (and to be honest was offended by his comment (paraphrasing) "Two words you learned you can't say THE JEWS" which I found odd him saying that considering the words a white person can't say about a black person. Sorry, that's offensive. I feel that Chapelle just says things to just say things for shock value at this point. He's NOT funny.

As for the show, WU was good as usual, and I liked the cold opening about the election, and the one bit about the white guy subbing for Chapelle in the black heaven skit was cringeworthy but really funny (and considering the opening monologue, ironic). Other than that? Meh. Of course I skipped the musical performer. Not my thing.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm not a fan of Chapelle and I didn't like his opening monologue and thought it went on WAY too long (and to be honest was offended by his comment (paraphrasing) "Two words you learned you can't say THE JEWS" which I found odd him saying that considering the words a white person can't say about a black person. Sorry, that's offensive. I feel that Chapelle just says things to just say things for shock value at this point. He's NOT funny.
Also: “He later said in the monologue that he had been to Hollywood and, based on his own travels, “It’s a lot of Jews. Like, a lot. But that doesn’t mean anything. There’s a lot of Black people in Ferguson, Mo. That doesn’t mean they run the place.”
NYT review: https://is.gd/IgPVPo
(Not directed to you) And I also found a lot of the monologue offensive, but I don’t think he (or anyone) should be “cancelled“ for words (they should, however for actions. Still can’t believe that CK is not only performing, but won a Grammy). (Even Kanye/Ye can say whatever he wants, but that doesn’t mean we have to listen, or companies have to do business with him)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,452 Posts
Also: “He later said in the monologue that he had been to Hollywood and, based on his own travels, “It’s a lot of Jews. Like, a lot. But that doesn’t mean anything. There’s a lot of Black people in Ferguson, Mo. That doesn’t mean they run the place.”
NYT review: https://is.gd/IgPVPo
(Not directed to you) And I also found a lot of the monologue offensive, but I don’t think he (or anyone) should be “cancelled“ for words (they should, however for actions. Still can’t believe that CK is not only performing, but won a Grammy). (Even Kanye/Ye can say whatever he wants, but that doesn’t mean we have to listen, or companies have to do business with him)
I agree, nobody should be cancelled, though I do think it's dangerous if people act on that type of attitude. Someone pointed out to me that Kanye West has millions of followers and if there are some crazies that start to believe the nonsense he's spouting and they act on it, that could be an issue akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater which is not protected speech. Hopefully actions speak louder than words and if attitudes like that continue those actions will bear fruit.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
I agree, nobody should be cancelled, though I do think it's dangerous if people act on that type of attitude. Someone pointed out to me that Kanye West has millions of followers and if there are some crazies that start to believe the nonsense he's spouting and they act on it, that could be an issue akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater which is not protected speech. Hopefully actions speak louder than words and if attitudes like that continue those actions will bear fruit.
True, but as business don’t have to do business with him, that also goes for platforms such as Twitter and FB (have they blocked him? He must have violated their TOS)

81 - 100 of 163 Posts