..Anthony Crispino Second-Hand News
..More Top Stories
The Strokes Perform
Les Jeunes de Paris
Beastly
Rock-A-Billy Lady Party/Moisturizing Facial Cream
You're So Gross To Me
Gurney Month on CBS

Weekend Update was OK, the only skit I laughed at was Disney Channel Acting School, other than that, it was a whole lot of ho hum filler.

·
postcrastinator
4,512 Posts
I kinda' liked this show.
Tuned out during the musical acts.
When Miley played Justin Bieber, she should have been secure enough to remove her mascara. That part was weird. But she did an okay job. Flubbed a few words here and there, but that was okay. I was shocked by her cleavage when she played Lindsay Lohan during the opening Sheen bit. :eek::)

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,480 Posts
Yeah-why couldn't she be her own musical guest? ;) ;)

Platoon 2-Electric Platoon-aloo !!! :D

Khadaffi: I dress like Humpty-Hump from Digital Underground! :p

LOVING Taran Killam in "Les Jeunes de Paris"-Mama Like, Mama Like! :D;)

Otherwise-could they have made apologies/excuses for her bong use a few more times? I didn't get it! :rolleyes:

·
Phish Food
8,260 Posts
I liked the episode. Well above average, I thought.

And although Miley Cyris has her limitations, I thought the writers worked within those limitations and exploited her strengths perfectly in the characters they came up with for her.

Actually, Miley CAN sing, in that she can carry a tune and hit the correct notes. She absolutely doesn't need "autotune" or other studio corrections. The only complaint I might have about her singing is that she seems to have a little trouble reigning in the "full-volume belt-it-out mode". Which, speaking of exploiting her strengths, was perfect for the "You're So Gross To Me" sketch. (Every note was perfect, there, I thought.)

Surprise of the show: Miley's not a half bad impressionist. I thought her Lindsey Lohan and Justin Beiber were very funny. Accurate enough to be obviously recognizable and cartoonish enough to be really funny.

Very good show.

One slight complaint: I think Vanessa Bayer dialed her Miley Cyrus impression back a notch or two for this show. Was she intimidated by Miley actually being there?

EDIT: The "Les Jeunes de Paris" sketches are hilarious! Miley was great in it.

·
I've got Jewbs!
2,480 Posts
One slight complaint: I think Vanessa Bayer dialed her Miley Cyrus impression back a notch or two for this show. Was she intimidated by Miley actually being there?
I don't know-I thought she was hilarious, as always-I love the Miley Cyrus show (and I loved Justin Bieber's swagger coach-Bee-Bop? :D)

I would love to see a "Best Of" show with people doing imitations of celebrities back to the real people-like when John McLaughlin came on while Dana Carvey was doing a McLaughlin group, or when Janet Reno came on during Will Ferrell's "Janet Reno Dance Party," ... all classics! :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Actually, Miley CAN sing, in that she can carry a tune and hit the correct notes. She absolutely doesn't need "autotune" or other studio corrections.
Yeah - if you like Ethel Merman.

She has zero control over her vibrato and her studio recordings are auto-tuned and processed within an inch of their life.

Have you been hitting the bong?:eek:

·
Registered Snoozer
7,838 Posts
I really enjoyed this episode. Maybe the best of the season.

I thought Les Jeunes de Paris was the highlight of the show, followed by the Disney Acting School and the Black Eyed Peas.

I also enjoyed the Devil's little 'editorial' on the Westboro Babtist church. "You've been damned!"

Low point was Rock-A-Billy / facial cream bit. WTF was that about?

While I don't think Miley is the greatest singer. Probably not even good enough to make through finals on Idol, I think there are far, far worse than her. *cough*Britney*cough*Taylor*hack*Swift. She did a great impression of Bieber.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
well now that you say that i suppose Miley is an actor who can carry a tune and if it wasn't for hannah montana being a "rock star" she never would have fallen into being a recording artist.

i was thinking the same thing - she probably wouldn't even make the first cut on american idol.

...and leave Britney alone.

·
Phish Food
8,260 Posts
Yeah - if you like Ethel Merman.

She has zero control over her vibrato and her studio recordings are auto-tuned and processed within an inch of their life.

Have you been hitting the bong?:eek:
Well, studio recordings not withstanding, she was not autotuned on the various sketches on which she sang on this show, and she was consistently on key. Which is more than can be said for far, far too many popular "vocalists" nowadays.

Now, I agree that belting like Ethel Merman (which does seem to be the only style in which Miley can sing) has limited appeal, and indeed, I can only take that singing style in small doses, I'll take it any day over Christina Aguilera's warbling for the equivalent of 7 or 8 measures on a note that the song's composer wrote as one beat!

·
Fat, Dumb and Happy
4,354 Posts
She was a little too thick to be wearing the tiny dress.

And as said before, the vibrato was a annoying. I don't think she had a great voice, at least not from what I saw on SNL. She sounded like some church singer.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.