TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
FUBAR
4,974 Posts
Thanks for your work on this, couple of questions - a lot of folks are bagging on the new v4 Broadlink because it uses cloud servers (really dumb for a simple remote IR blaster), and is that why there a 5-7 sec. delay for button presses? That is very excessive when doing 6-8 skips for commercial breaks. Does the older v3 Broadlink with a 3rd party remote app work better?

I think this would be a great solution if the skips could be 1-2 sec at most.

Forgot to add, another option is using kmttg's Tivo remote control feature via remote desktop to any server you have running on your home network. kmttg also has a web server (with remote control feature) which could be port forwarded but this is completely unsecure AFAIK. No need to buy and mess with IR blasting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I created a slingbox alternative using just two components available on Amazon for around $250.

All the details can be found here:

Slingbox Alternative/Replacement DIY
Thanks for your work on this, any additional tips for direct streaming out of home to VLC media player clients. I can see the stream locally on my home network but cannot see it outside of my home network. I set up and enabled the port forwarding in my router for all of the ports discovered on a scan of open ports of the encoder (21,23,80,554,1935,8086,8554) from an outside network. I can ping my router from an outside network when ping response is enabled in the router. I also set the router to reserve the ip address of encoder. The network setting for the Encoder RTSP port is set to 8554. I receive this message for all of the ports identified above:

(actual ip address has been disguised)

Connection failed:

VLC could not connect to "123.45.67.890:554".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://123.45.67.890/0:8554'. Check the log for details.

Thanks in advance for any/all tips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
low volume
I have had that same problem on two different android devices. Both started off okay, but most recently, when I launched in split screen mode with the volume down, the Slingplayer app stopped playing at full volume and I can't figure out a way to restore it to the louder maximum volume without reinstalling the app.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for your work on this, couple of questions - a lot of folks are bagging on the new v4 Broadlink because it uses cloud servers (really dumb for a simple remote IR blaster), and is that why there a 5-7 sec. delay for button presses? That is very excessive when doing 6-8 skips for commercial breaks. Does the older v3 Broadlink with a 3rd party remote app work better?

I think this would be a great solution if the skips could be 1-2 sec at most.

Forgot to add, another option is using kmttg's Tivo remote control feature via remote desktop to any server you have running on your home network. kmttg also has a web server (with remote control feature) which could be port forwarded but this is completely unsecure AFAIK. No need to buy and mess with IR blasting.
If you use the "TS" streaming protocol, it has a 1-2 second response :)

I also updated the article to list other IR blasters that might work better (and can be a backup blaster if Broadlink's cloud shuts down)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got another email from Slingbox, looks like time is coming to an end for this device :(

Commander how is your solution working so far? I need to read it up on it.
I have been using the commander's solution since late last year when my Slingbox gave up the ghost. It seems to be the simplest and least costly solution of the ones I came across that works fine for what we are trying to do. I use both IOS Ipad's and Windows PC's running VLC as a client viewer. Seperately, I also use an IPhone running the apps both the "Peanut" or IR blaster for the remote control. At times, I have also experienced excessive button delays with either the Peanut and IR blaster, suspect it is just a condition of the internet traffic. I think I even experienced button delay when using a vpn connection directly to my home router.

The commander has updated the solution (link in post 101) several times with updates. Read entire solution and use his pro tips. I do not see any advantage in using an IR blaster, the IOS app seems to work just as well. Also start out by setting up and testing your client viewer on your local network

Setup steps for IOS users using the Peanut app:
1) Initial setup of the app should be for local control (search network button) , just to capture the local ip address and port number of the Tivo, my port was 31339.
2) Set up a static ip address in your router for your TIVO.
3) Set up port forwarding in router for port identified in step 1. May want to change the port number in the app and redirect it like it is suggested for the encoder.
4) Select the apps “I” button, then manual and enter your ddns address and redirected port number(if used).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks Joe, the second option seems appealing. I'm trying to avoid having to buy more equipment to make what i have work. need to read up on both to see how changing channels work b/c having to switch between a browser and VLC is not ideal.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
GerryDazoo's code is working well for me with a TiVo Mini and a Slingbox SOLO. I never got the remote working, but I didn't try very hard because the "DVR Commander for TiVo" Android app is a better solution anyway.

If your phone supports split-screen mode (my Pixel 5 does), having VLC in one half and the remote in the other is a workable solution. Using two phones at once (or better yet, a laptop and a phone) is a better solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keep in mind that the DVR Commander for Tivo app (and maybe even the peanut app) uses a certificate that will expire in a year or so and then the app will stop working.

So just be prepared for that (by having a backup method to control your Tivo).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've looked at the stuff Gerry made and it works but if your phone does not support dual/split screen changing the channel is just a pain.

Really this would be moot if there was a way to get the tivo app to stream everything with copyright protection.

I created a post but nothing to get around this. It would be a much more viable option but I'm not sure if there is such a work around so far.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts