orientated content.

The appearance of adult channel listings in the Sky Guide

The extension of PIN protection to programmes recorded after 8pm with
Sky+ (post watershed) and played back between 6 am and 8 pm
(out-of-watershed)

After consultation with customers, channels and other interested groups it
was felt the best solution to the out-of-watershed playback issue was to
make programme ratings (i.e. whether the content is suitable for viewing by
children aged over 12 years, or young persons aged 15 or 18 and over)
automatically trigger the PIN protection. This was viewed as the most
effective implementation option supported by our customer research. For Sky+
customers this means that a PIN request is automatically generated for 12+
rated movies and other content when it is played out of watershed.

As a result of feedback we are now investigating a range of options to
further improve the PIN control features. We hope to be able to introduce
these as soon as possible, after successful tests have been performed.

I do hope that my explanation goes some way to addressing your concerns, and
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to bring your comments to our
attention.

Should you have any difficulties regarding your PIN, please contact our
Customer Services Team on 08720 404040 who will be happy to assist.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Administration Department

·
Ex TiVo User
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The objectives behind the recent parental control enhancements were to act
responsibly as a broadcasting organisation and respond to our customers'
needs
10 customers must have asked for the feature so they applied it to 8,000,000 digiboxes :)

They never asked me....

Automan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
cwaring said:
I assume you're speaking from experience? :D So it doesn't change to the last four digits of the NEW card? I don't have Sky so I don't know for certain but, as far as I know, the card is tied to the box (much like cable is) so it might work like that. Of course, it also might not ;):)
Yes but I made a note of it when I swapped cards :p It does not automatically change to the last four digits of the new card (you may have already changed it).

This caused a lot of hassle for Sky when they introduced the mandatory PIN system. I read they put a recorded message onto the call centre queue to explain you could try the last four digits of your original viewing card :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Protecting the kiddies is highly commendable so no one can argue with it but across the channels there is a lot shown that I would like to control that has no ratting information at all.

For example, some trailers on discovery various recently showed concentration camp inmates being brutalized. I don't want to deny history but when I am watching Fred Dipner and his steam engines with my six year old I have to be there with button ready.

Some programs are described complete with code letters like S (stereo?) L (long and boring?) and SC (some cool bits?)

I wonder what all the codes are and what they really mean, and would it be possible to search by them?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Deak Brenan said:
Protecting the kiddies is highly commendable so no one can argue with it
*I* can argue with it. I don't want it. I don't need it. I should have the right to turn it off.

I think sky should leave censorship to others and just broadcast, that's what I pay them for. And they can keep SKY+ as separate as possible.

I think the idea of controling what you can playback should maybe be looked at in future tivo software (indeed) a multi-user interface would seem to be a good idea, that way the tivo can record *anything at any time* but in order to view it then you could have a login or somesuch. (ideally a fingerprint reader on the remote to save typing). Judging the the series 3 and the muti-tuners it would seem a good next step.

Means I won't have to scroll through the wife's "holby city" in my own NOW PLAYING screen... but if she deletes one of my favs from her screen, it wont delete it completely until I delete it also! (because it's in both our Season passes) I'm sure this would be pretty easy to code.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Just out of interest have they PIN protected the interactive games?
Two friends of mine have had nasty phone bills as a result of their kids playing 50p per play games for 2 minutes at time - seems like a more serious issue to me but somehow I doubt 'customer demand' is quite as persuasive when there's revenue involved...

·
Registered
57 Posts
goldrood said:
I had the same problem, threatened to cancel my subscription sky downloaded a fix no longer need to insert pin
How's that possible? Are you saying they downloaded a custom version of the software just to your box? I would suspect this would prevent you from getting any further software updates such as the one due next week?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I never get a PIN request but then I don't record movies that often. Does this mean if I tried an 18 film I would get a PIN request regardless of having not set up parental controls on Sky? I've got no idea what my PIN is and no record of my original subscriber card to get the last 4 digits.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
I've only got the PIN request once - and that was when I deliberatly tried to record an early film on Sky Movies 9.

I've never had it by accident on any film.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I guess most of you guys have the standard sky digi box, sky+ boxes ask for pins all the time, especially if you try to watch any movie rated over 12 during the daytime, and if you record any thing on manual record it always asks, what a pain, sky are supposed to be looking into it but i would not hold your breath.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.