TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum & haven't found the answer. How can you burn shows from the R10 units onto DVDs? Manual only talks about recording to VCR. Can I do this, how do I do this, and is there a particular external DVD burner that I need to purchase to do this. I would prefer to burn directly from receiver & not have to use my desktop/laptop. Please advise...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
You can connect ANY stand-alone DVD burner and use the "Record to VCR" function to transfer to DVD.

The R10 cannot transfer shows to a PC without extensive modification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
The "record to vcr" function doesn't really do much. Just Play the show on your R10 and press Record on your burner. I've done literally hundreds of dvd's this way.
 

·
Lord of Darkness
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
dshinnick has pointed out the best way to do it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dshinnick said:
The "record to vcr" function doesn't really do much. Just Play the show on your R10 and press Record on your burner. I've done literally hundreds of dvd's this way.
What's the best way to connect to the receiver - audio/video outputs or USB? Don't need to worry about which external DVD burner to purchase - any can connect & record off of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
The USB ports on the R10 are not active, and you can't activate them without a lot of work (replacement PROM chip soldering). So the answer is use the RCA audio ports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Most DVD recorders have audio video and S-Video inputs. You can use either, but S-Video, of course, gives a better picture.

The benefit of using the "record to vcr" setting is that it makes it harder to mess up the transfer by inadvertantly pushing a button. You have to push the button twice to stop the recording.

Other than that, just playing the recording works fine.
 

·
Just hangin'
Joined
·
30,958 Posts
"Save to VCR" also gives a few second description at the beginning of the recording.
I've also done the just play the show, then just before the show actually starts (after the first commercial) I press pause at a black screen. Then display the normal description screen, press record on DVD recorder for a few seconds to record the description screen and then press play on the TiVo. Then keep your fingers off the remote until the show has completed. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dtremain said:
Most DVD recorders have audio video and S-Video inputs. You can use either, but S-Video, of course, gives a better picture.

The benefit of using the "record to vcr" setting is that it makes it harder to mess up the transfer by inadvertantly pushing a button. You have to push the button twice to stop the recording.

Other than that, just playing the recording works fine.
Doesn't seem like most DVD recorders have a/v & S-Video inputs to me. From what I can tell, most only have the USB input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JimSpence said:
"Save to VCR" also gives a few second description at the beginning of the recording.
I've also done the just play the show, then just before the show actually starts (after the first commercial) I press pause at a black screen. Then display the normal description screen, press record on DVD recorder for a few seconds to record the description screen and then press play on the TiVo. Then keep your fingers off the remote until the show has completed. :)
Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but how are you hooking your recorder up to the receiver? Do you have to have a DVD recorder with A/V inputs since the USB port is not active on the R10 receivers?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top