TiVo Community Forum banner
4961 - 4980 of 5009 Posts

·
UHD Addict
24,278 Posts
Well, it is the best streaming box out there…
That is debatable. My two ATV 4K boxes are my least used streamers. With my Shield TVs as my most used.
I would easily rather use my 4K Roku sticks, Fire TV Max sticks, or Google Chromecast streamers before I use my ATV 4K boxes. My ATV 4K boxes are my last resort streamers.

If I thought my ATV 4K boxes were the best streaming boxes, I would be using them daily. Instead, I might use them once a month. If even that often.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That is debatable. My two ATV 4K boxes are my least used streamers. With my Shield TVs as my most used.
I would easily rather use my 4K Roku sticks, Fire TV Max sticks, or Google Chromecast streamers before I use my ATV 4K boxes. My ATV 4K boxes are my last resort streamers.

If I thought my ATV 4K boxes were the best streaming boxes, I would be using them daily. Instead, I might use them once a month. If even that often.
For me it's the opposite the ATV is the preferred streamer, especially now that there is an Xfinity app. I bought a third ATV on Prime day to replace a FireTV and Xfinity box I had in my bedroom. I also recently returned the Xfinity box I had in my office, now just using the ATV.

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,028 Posts
I've used only Roku (and the horrible TiVo streamer), and my ATV is the fastest of those and has a much better interface. I have heard/read that the nVidia Shield is a great device, too.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,878 Posts

What is the advantage of using the Shield over a Roku or Firestick? Speed doesn't bother me, as we are probably talking a few seconds either way. Reliability (i.e no buffering issues, apps load flawlessly) GUI (i.e. easy to use, easy to find stuff, works with my current remote (Harmony Hub)), and supports latest streaming tech (Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos) on my favorite streaming services. Currently my Roku (I think it's a Premiere+ but not quite sure), does all the advanced tech and the interface works well in finding the apps I use, but doesn't do a great job of integrating programming into one interface. The Firestick and Chromecast does a better job of the integrating programming but doesn't always support all the latest tech and the GUI is not as intuitive as it should be. So I'm looking for something that is easier to use and could replace my multiple options. I'd like to avoid an ATV if possible, as I am trying to avoid any possibilty of getting sucked into the horribly restrictive Apple infrastructure and, well I just don't like the interface or remote all that much.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
4961 - 4980 of 5009 Posts