TiVo Community Forum banner
4941 - 4960 of 5007 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I think he and jr461 are just confusing their terminology.

(Apple TV+ is their streaming service. Apple TV is the hardware box.)
I was actually referring to both since stevek mentioned not having one place to find all of his streaming shows (I called out ATV+ Up Next as a possible solution) and wanted nothing to do with the remote (ATV hardware).

·
Librocubicularist
24,964 Posts
I was actually referring to both since stevek mentioned not having one place to find all of his streaming shows (I called out ATV+ Up Next as a possible solution) and wanted nothing to do with the remote (ATV hardware).
I guess I didn’t know you had access to Up Next outside of the Apple TV UI on the hardware

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I guess I didn’t know you had access to Up Next outside of the Apple TV UI on the hardware
For me, it's often the Up Next widget on my iPad where I notice when there is something new to watch. You can't manipulate Up Next from there, to mark something that is watched you need to open the Apple TV app on the iPad.

·
Cat God
17,897 Posts
That’s still conflating ATV+ and the ATV app. It’s a bit confusing, but there are actually 3 Apple TV products:

1. Apple TV set top box (hardware)
2. Apple TV app available on multiple platforms (software)
3. Apple TV+ (streaming service)

Up Next is part of the Apple TV app, but it’s most useful on iOS devices and the Apple TV hardware because it can be connected to other apps forming a near-universal (sans Netflix) watch list.

The ATV+ service is only available in the ATV app, but it’s not the same thing. The ATV app can also contain purchases and subscribed “channels”, neither of which require an ATV+ subscription. It’s the same as Amazon’s video and Amazon Prime Video. Prime videos are only in the Amazon video app, but they aren’t the same thing.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,761 Posts
Apple TV+ isn't required to use the Apple TV set top box. The watch list works without it.

As for the remote, Apple redesigned the remote last year and it's a lot better.
Yeah, I didn't mean ATV+ I meant ATV (I have ATV+ FWIW). I've used the new remote at my mother inlaws....I'll pass. Plus ATV is just too expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
But it solves the problem (except for Netflix). It is also nice in that it will inform you of not only episodes you have yet to watch, but when a new season drops as well.
This is something that trips me up with streaming....I forget about shows. In the old days, TiVo would pick it up. Without an aggregator I'd have to rely on this forum to remind me :)

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,761 Posts
But it solves the problem (except for Netflix). It is also nice in that it will inform you of not only episodes you have yet to watch, but when a new season drops as well.
This is something that trips me up with streaming....I forget about shows. In the old days, TiVo would pick it up. Without an aggregator I'd have to rely on this forum to remind me :)
This exactly. I had planned to catch up on my streaming stuff over the summer and for the most part I've watched most of what I wanted to. But, I know there are shows that I wanted to watch and either forgot to put them on my watchlist on the various streamers I have, or just forgot about. It's really a pain. However you want to put it, it's STILL not as easy as setting a SP on your DVR and they just show up in your recordings. I guess for the generation that have grown up on streaming they are just used to it, but for me, as I said, I'm set in my ways, and I'd much prefer set it and forget it, look at what's recorded and watch.

I think someone mentioned that the Tivo Streamer was supposed to do that. It might, but I have too many issues getting it to work and it doesn't seem to work well with my remotes, so often I'll switch to it and it's just a blank screen. I actually bought a Google Chromecast (the new Google TV one) and I have a similar issue. I watch the vast majority of what I stream on my Roku (don't remember the model, it does 4K/Atmos and is NOT a stick). Is there a way to curate your shows on a home screen on Roku because when I come to Roku, I get my apps, but not shows.

·
Registered
456 Posts
... Is there a way to curate your shows on a home screen on Roku because when I come to Roku, I get my apps, but not shows.
Unless they have updated something recently, I do not believe Roku will curate your shows. The Plex app on Roku may get you closer to what you want. I think this feature will work without having to install their media server. From the description, it will let you create a watchlist, search for content, etc in the app and will tell you which of your streaming service(s) has it available, but you would have to launch that service's app to actually watch it. I have not tried this, so can't verify..

Kiss the Streaming Struggle Goodbye with Plex | Plex

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean ATV+ I meant ATV (I have ATV+ FWIW). I've used the new remote at my mother inlaws....I'll pass. Plus ATV is just too expensive for what it is.
Even more confusing, I have a neighbor who drives an ATV around occasionally and it gets on my nerves because it makes so much noise.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,761 Posts
Unless they have updated something recently, I do not believe Roku will curate your shows. The Plex app on Roku may get you closer to what you want. I think this feature will work without having to install their media server. From the description, it will let you create a watchlist, search for content, etc in the app and will tell you which of your streaming service(s) has it available, but you would have to launch that service's app to actually watch it. I have not tried this, so can't verify..

Kiss the Streaming Struggle Goodbye with Plex | Plex
Yeah, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want a list, much like the watchlist I have created in Netflix to show me the shows I want to watch. I don't want to have to go on to the device and into an app to find it. I want to turn on the device and the first things I see is my list of shows. It sounds like ATV might do that, but not ready to plunk down that kind of money yet, while still watching traditional TV as my go to.

4941 - 4960 of 5007 Posts