TiVo Community Forum banner
4921 - 4940 of 5009 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,895 Posts

The DiscoverWB purge continues. I am really worried about the future of cable TV channels. Both TBS and TNT are purging their original content. I do wonder what will happen to these channels going forward. Will they become places for endless episodes of The Big Bang Theory, Friends and Law and Order? Will they become another in string of reality TV channels? It's clear that the new regime wants to push it's streaming channel and just about all new content will wind up there.

·
Premium Member
16,518 Posts
I've been seeing promos for Shark Week coming up. Thought I'd go through the guide and find eps to record. But I cannot find the Discovery Channel anywhere in my channels. This used to be a regular cable channel. I have cable w/Spectrum, incl all the basic cable channels and the premium channels, so it wouldn't make sense that I wouldn't get Discovery. Did they change the name of it?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I've been seeing promos for Shark Week coming up. Thought I'd go through the guide and find eps to record. But I cannot find the Discovery Channel anywhere in my channels. This used to be a regular cable channel. I have cable w/Spectrum, incl all the basic cable channels and the premium channels, so it wouldn't make sense that I wouldn't get Discovery. Did they change the name of it?
Try channel 779 and/or check your channel list. It may have accidentally gotten unchecked. 779 is TDCHD-E for me. Or maybe your local program guide people unilaterally removed it's program information. You have to keep your eye on those people. I also get it standard definition on channel 33.

·
Premium Member
16,518 Posts
Try channel 779 and/or check your channel list. It may have accidentally gotten unchecked. 779 is TDCHD-E for me. Or maybe your local program guide people unilaterally removed it's program information. You have to keep your eye on those people. I also get it standard definition on channel 33.
Thanks. Nothing on 779 here. This is so weird.

·
Premium Member
16,518 Posts
You can have your tivo guide to show ALL channels, then sort by channel, and scroll down to discovery..
On my Tivos I can go to channel settings, then channel guide, and scroll through ALL of the channels, including those I have unchecked. I tried a couple times and there was nothing for Discovery. I've always had that channel. I guess that's why this seems so odd. Thanks! :)

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,542 Posts
The DiscoverWB purge continues. I am really worried about the future of cable TV channels. Both TBS and TNT are purging their original content.
For me, it's kind of a relief. The fewer shows that tie me to the traditional channels, the easier it will be to give those channels up and finally "cut the cord".

Although in this case, I would've liked to see Sam Bee move to a streamer (HBO Max?) instead. (HBO Max carried the show, but only previous seasons, not current.)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,404 Posts
For me, it's kind of a relief. The fewer shows that tie me to the traditional channels, the easier it will be to give those channels up and finally "cut the cord".

Although in this case, I would've liked to see Sam Bee move to a streamer (HBO Max?) instead. (HBO Max carried the show, but only previous seasons, not current.)
Did Full Frontal move to a different channel?

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,895 Posts

I'm old school and I still watch TV the way I have for the last 50 something years for the most part with the exception of recorded content (i.e stuff on my DVR). That's not to say that I don't watch anything streaming, but for me streaming supplements what I normally watch, not the other way around. So this summer for example, I'm catching up on my streaming. I find it much easier to set a SP on my DVR, and have a bevvy of shows to watch, all in ONE PLACE rather than hung and peck my way around various streamers and find things to watch. It's daunting, confusing and overwhelming. Now if there was ONE place where I could watch ALL my streaming shows, in an easy to find format without having to go on the Netflix and find this, Amazon Prime to find that, and Apple TV+ to find the other (and others), maybe it would be easy. And lastly, I watch a lot of sports, and we aren't there yet with sports where I could cut the cord. Plus I feel, the way things are going, cutting the cord is going to wind up costing the same as having a decent "cord" option with so much content on each streamer you might want to watch, especially if you don't want to watch ads.

·
Librocubicularist
25,004 Posts
I have a Roku. But still can't figure out a way to integrate EVERYTHING I want into one list.

I won't go near AppleTV+ I hate the both the GUI and the remote.
Huh, I guess I assumed they would have a one place to go like Apple (except for Netflix, but that's Netflix's fault). There's also the Plex app, though... that aggregates content.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
You can have a list of shows on Roku and it will take you to the appropriate streaming service for each. It's "My Feed". It's certainly far from perfect, but it's there.
Also, when you start watching a show, Roku will present you with a “Keep Watching” feed when a new episode is available. This is how I track my shows on Roku. The feed used to be the 1st one, but now you need to scroll down past roku suggestions

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You're looking for an Apple TV or Roku.
I have a Roku. But still can't figure out a way to integrate EVERYTHING I want into one list.

I won't go near AppleTV+ I hate the both the GUI and the remote.
For us, ATV+ Up Next is a great solution. For what we watch, only Netflix requires going into it specifically to find our shows (AMC+ as well but after Saul that's gone).

Yes, you do need to initially find your shows wherever they are but that's easy enough since when you hear about one (such as on TCF) the service is mentioned. Then just watch a few seconds of the 1st episode and it appears in Up Next.

As far as the ATV+ remote, I use my old Harmony 650 and don't have to deal with it.

4921 - 4940 of 5009 Posts