TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
Same for me. I am watching it slowly, but it has not really grabbed me.
I find that if I've lost interest, coming back and continuing a show is just a bore and I may as well not watch at all. Even now when there aren't many new episodes, I find myself thinking hmm, Psych rewatch or Altered Carbon? Psych it is...

I'm not entirely sure why I'm not into Season 2. I guess I'm just not invested in the story continuing with a different actor, even though the actor is doing just fine. And Edgar is a better character in small doses instead of tagging along everywhere.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
NOS4A2 Cancelled after 2 Seasons

Mild bummer. That was an...OK show.
I enjoyed it, and it was certainly nice having Season 2 premiere when there wasn't a whole lot of new TV out there. And Season 2 had the flashbacks which really helped understanding why this Christmas-obsessed evil guy was evil. It was also nice that the story was wrapped up, I think they saw it coming.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
I think I've heard bits and pieces of that song (and yeah, not going to). I guess she's not doing that one on SNL. But yeah, I'm old :) I'm sure if I asked my parents if they heard of Bruce Springsteen in 1975, they'd go huh?
Back in the day, SNL was playing the hip artists and in my case (being very young at the time), I learned of the artists FROM SNL.

Go back in time... learn about the new artists from the show once again. I've discovered quite a few newer artists that I had only heard the name of or not at all, that to my surprise I really liked. Combat age!

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
There's some truth to this. Though I've also found new artist that I've turned off pretty quickly too and wondered what the appeal is. There was one band they played last year that sounded a lot like Led Zeppelin that I really liked. Greta Van Fleet
(Interestingly ranked as the worst act on SNL last season!
'SNL' Musical Guests, Ranked From No. 1 To Greta Van Fleet)

As music styles move away from my tastes, it's much harder to sit and watch many of these artists. Out of 21 acts last season, I never heard of 10 of them.
Greta Van Fleet is amazing! They're bringing actual rock music performed with rock instruments back to the fore, and while they sound cloneish now, they won't be for long. Their SNL performance was bad due to a plethora of reasons not their own. It should also be noted that unlike many artists they were most certainly playing live.

You are being redirected...

At any rate, you take the good with the bad. SNL is one of the few rarities today that has actual love music on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
Neither are the mega stars that Eddie Murphy is, and Chris Rock was for awhile. Tracy might be closest. Leslie Jones, I supposed hoped to be but is now hosting game shows and taking supporting roles in movies and TV. Not quite big stars. Tracy at least has his own TV show (and a really good one at that).
Leslie Jones is more a PERSONALITY, which is why she's doing so well with game shows. Expect to see a talk show in the near future from her. If you saw her videos watching Game of Thrones, you can tell she was born for that sort of thing.

On the other "minor" stars of SNL, even the ones people don't know by name or even recognize from the show end up with great careers over the long haul. I'm not sure what happened in Joe Piscopo's case. You're also unaware of a LOT of them simply because you haven't watched. Will Forte, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Heder, Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg.

On black cast members, Kenan Thompson has become the Phil Hartman of recent years, and one would hope he'll continue long after he leaves the show. That said, he probably won't and will be there forever. :p I'm surprised Kate McKinnon is still there as well.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
I'm sure Sandler has beat out all the other alumni, maybe combined, in dollar terms.
From 2014: Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd Top 'SNLs' Biggest Box Office Earners

"Out of all the comedy icons who launched their careers on Saturday Night Live, none have contributed more to the North American box office than Eddie Murphy, who helped rake in $5.79 billion with his 38 films. In a new infographic, Businessweek uses data from Rentrak to calculate the top 25 SNL veterans based on the gross revenue of their filmography. Dan Aykroyd came in at the Number Two spot ($4.26 billion), with Robert Downey Jr. rounding out the top three ($3.9 billion)."

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
I never realized that Robert Downey Jr was on SNL...
He was part of the ill-fated 1985 season, when they decided that up-and-coming talent wasn't working so they would hire established people. This was the same season as Anthony Michael Hall, and to me the biggest problem that season had was they hired ACTORS rather than writer/comedians. And failed miserably.

Interestingly enough, both were in Weird Science that same year and did great, because... ACTING!

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
oh rapper, so now I know I can FF through the "musical" segment. (I still 'keep' some musical performances off of talk shows & SNL.. though I've never actually bothered putting the audio on my phone.)
I suggest watching them anyway. Once in a while you might find one you like.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
If it's a rapper, I will pass. I've watched some more acts, and sometimes the performance is worth watching, even if I don't like the song. And sometimes you get a Sinead O'Conner or Elvis Costello moment.
Hip hop & rap are like any other genre, there are really good artists, and there are real stinkers. YMMV on the ratio, but ultimately you can really tell who has it and who doesn't. For example, I don't much like Pitbull, but I can see his talent and why he's so popular. He's not for me, but I did give him a chance.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
Considering she's actually singing through most of the song and not rapping, it's a new wave song with a rap portion. There's lots of songs like that.
Debbie Harry was one of the instrumental figures in rap & hip-hop being accepted by people outside their genres, and helping them grow to what they've become today. In addition to Rapture, and shouting out several of them (Fab Five Freddy in particular), when Blondie hosted SNL she was able to have "special guests" and brought on a couple of rappers.

Funky 4+1 was the first rap group to appear on national television

But as mentioned earlier, the lines become blurred because as it's become more popular, other bands outside of rap incorporated rap into their music. It should also be said that the #1 genre today isn't rock, it's hip hop. I realize this doesn't affect your dislike of it at all, but it does demand some respect considering it's a fairly new format in the grand scheme of things.

Hip-Hop Deemed Most Popular Genre of 2020

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
And they're not a disco band. I wasn't aware "Heart of Glass" was disco.

Yeah, I need to find something besides radio for my car. I have to change stations often.
It's got some disco qualities, and when it came out all my friends thought it was. Of course it isn't, but it's close. It's also a second draft of sorts. I think retooling it helped. ;)

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
He's definitely the MVP of the homemade Zoom trailer, with Katja Herbers edging out Lahti for 2nd with the scream at the end. Robert King was joking CBS gave him $32 million to produce that.
It's a shame they mention the wedding in the trailer, then he says he only got together with her so he could get to her daughter... I would have thought that would be kept for the series rather than the "trailer". Oh well, it was fun. :)

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,150 Posts
I thought the trailer was pretty much just a season 1 review - it was already implied he had ulterior motives in seducing grandma.
Of course the audience knew he had ulterior motives, my thought was for trailer purposes it would have created a "oh my god he's going to marry her" suspense for the premiere, when he admits to her than he was getting at the daughter. They'll probably still do that, but now they've ruined it with the preview, as usual.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts