It's Just TV
27,135 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts
Hopefully Call me Kat helps to keep Mayim away from Jeopardy, otherwise no interest in that one.

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts
I was more wondering if there are people who think the season finale was scheduled to be filmed this week?
Wife and I were talking about both of the 9-1-1 shows last night. Both were done in ways that I think made sense. Just to be safe here...
Both could have served as Series wrap-ups as well as season wraps though both left things set up well for whatever comes next. If those had been series finales it wouldn't have been frustrating for those that have followed the shows consistently. I suspect that the showrunners were left with enough concern over possible renewals (this is FOX after all, may they B-I-H for some past cancellations and mis-handling of some of their shows) but were also fairly optimistic.
Both shows were relatively well rated, for FOX at least and I don't think they were really in that much danger but then again FOX may have opted to cut back on their budgets and may have demanded some cuts in the budgets. Heck, there's still no guarantee that we won't see some cuts next season that may mean cast cuts to help save $$

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts
Sometimes it come down to production costs. Sometimes show with lower ratings with lower production costs get renewed, because even with lower ratings they still make money. Along with this shows produced by and aired on the same network have a better chance of getting renewed with lower rating than show produced by a third party which cost the network more. Last Man Standing was produced by FOX, but originally aired on ABC. ABC cancelled it after 4 or 5 with seasons and then Fox brought it back for a few seasons to air on it's own network were it got similar ratings.
You are mixing up Last Man Standing with Last Man on Earth. Discussion above was about Last Man on Earth.

Last Man on Earth only ever aired on FOX. Never had great ratings (in my memory). Was somewhat surprised that it lasted longer than one season, but it did get a couple of seasons. For that one I think FOX was pretty generous.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts
No, I'm talking about Last Man Standing.

" Fans of Last Man Standing have likely known that the show is coming to an end for a while now. Back in October 2020, it was announced that the popular series wouldn't be getting renewed — although Last Man Standing was already canceled once before by ABC. In 2017, the network canceled the show, stating that it was too expensive to produce and that ABC didn't actually own it (it was actually produced by FOX). "

from: It's Time to Say Goodbye to the Baxters on 'Last Man Standing'
You picked an interesting time to discuss ... Standing, considering the poster just a few posts prior was talking about ... Man on Earth.

(Which makes it look an awful lot like you were mixing up the two shows)

The point you are making was fine, just seemed to be a choice that was confusion based.

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts
That seems like a strangely low number of episodes. 20 episodes over 2 seasons? They had 20 episodes in their most recent season. It seems like the stars will be doing half as many episodes (and presumably making half the money) and still be unable to sign on to work on any other show. Yes, they'll have more time to make movies, but other than that it seems like a strange deal, especially for a broadcast network.
Sounds to me like they are filming what would have been one more season, stretched over two seasons. Breaking it up with a cliff-hanger in the middle I would assume, but otherwise probably only really spending enough to cover a full season's work but leaving them programming to fill two seasons -- be it summer replacement, show on the bench they can turn to if something else crash and burns, etc.

·
It's Just TV
27,135 Posts
Yeah, I suspect it will be filmed as one season, but broadcast as two. That's been done a lot in the past, although mostly with cable shows.
I haven't followed the show that closely, but looked like Season 4 of the show had only 20 episodes. Assuming that the other seasons were similar number of episodes, it seems that they are mostly pushing to get to the "magic" 100 episodes that is preferred for syndicating the repeats and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts