• Yes, they should be separated

Votes: 115 42.4%
  • No, they're fine together

Votes: 156 57.6%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been visiting this forum for the past 4 months. I currently own a Series 3 tivo and am loving it! I enjoy visiting this forum to learn more about my S3. However, I've noticed that there has been a growing number of Tivo HD threads started. How many of you think that there should be a separate forum started for Tivo HD users?

· Seeker
2,936 Posts
It's not realistic. We've never had forums for different versions of the Tivo's in the past except for the S3 and by lumping the Tivo HD in with the S3 it makes sense. It's a little cluttered but it works fine. Sure I'd like to see it but unless there's a critical mass of users with Tivo HD posts, it'll probably stay this way.

· O2->CO2 Converter
2,702 Posts
Absolutely not.

Other than a few hardware differences, and a different version of the software (which will change when both the THD and S3 get 8.4 or 8.5 at the next software update), they are really the same box. No real difference and certainly not enough to warrant a whole different forum to check.

· The Gimp
21,539 Posts
GoHokies! said:
Absolutely not.

Other than a few hardware differences, and a different version of the software (which will change when both the THD and S3 get 8.4 or 8.5 at the next software update), they are really the same box. No real difference and certainly not enough to warrant a whole different forum to check.
What he said.

· Registered
462 Posts
Interesting... the replies all say no, but the voting is very close. For the record, I voted YES.

I really don't care to see the threads about those struggling with the cheap *ss box.

Just like I don't like coach customers coming into first class to use our lavatory. Stay in the back of the plane where you belong... :)

Hey... that gives me another idea... lol.

If you didn't see the smiley and the lol... IT WAS A JOKE!!!

If anything... I'd like to see a group for those of us who don't use cable cards... since a very large number of threads seem to be people griping about those.

· wait.. I did what?
15,345 Posts
[snark] I'd say make them separate forums so I don't have to listen to all the *****ing about the TivoHD [/snark]

but in all seriousness, they're more alike then they are different, the issues they will have in the future will tend to be in the same family.

Separating S2 and S3 families, that makes a ton of sense with the differences in architecture and usage, things like native vs hybrid mode apply to both the S3 and the TivoHD, but mean nothing to the S2 family.

Problems getting a cableCARD install set with your cableco will be the same for both, as will the general setup, care, and feeding of the units.

Diane

· Registered
578 Posts
I wish they'd get rid of the poll option when starting a new thread. It seems every other newbie wants to start a new poll over trite subjects. The S3 Tivo and the Tivo HD are both considered series 3 Tivos so they should be discussed in the same forum. What's next, a poll to see who wants to divide up the forums into separate brands of Tivos? :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,001 Posts
GoHokies! said:
Absolutely not.

I agree. Once the software versions are aligned it will be a similar situation as the Series 2 dual tuner vs S2 single tuner models.

· Registered
403 Posts
Yep because even though they are the same in many ways, they are different enough to have a completely different set of issues that don't really have anything to do with each other. Therefore a fix on S3 could be misleading on the HD. They are different chip sets, different hardware etc. Plus, I don't want to mingle with those S3 snobs!!! :) :D :)

Gary

· Banned
3,540 Posts
Having two forums is dumb. Why don't we have 40 forums for each Series2 model? (Because that would be dumb too.)

· Dr_Diablo
885 Posts
gespears said:
Yep because even though they are the same in many ways, they are different enough to have a completely different set of issues that don't really have anything to do with each other. Therefore a fix on S3 could be misleading on the HD. They are different chip sets, different hardware etc. Plus, I don't want to mingle with those S3 snobs!!! :) :D :)

Gary
I fail to see why someone that has knowledge of the Series 3 Tivo is considered a snob,

On the other hand anyone that is new to their Tivo experience dosn't realize there are differences btween the two Tivo's, therefor a forum for their new Tivo HD would make matters less confusing...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
captain_video said:
I wish they'd get rid of the poll option when starting a new thread. It seems every other newbie wants to start a new poll over trite subjects.
I'm sorry for being like "every other newbie" and just trying to start a thread on what I thought would be an interesting discussion. If you don't like the thread, then don't waste your time posting in it. It's members like you that make me feel uninvited into new forums. I'm a tivo user like most other members here, and thought this forum was inviting to newbies asking and learning more about tivo. This was a simple poll which brought up some discussion, nothing more.

· Hardcore TiVo Geek
2,853 Posts
Not just no - HELL NO. They're both in the Series3 family. And they have more similarities than differences. Once the initial issues with the TiVo HD are resolved (macroblocking) most of the specific threads will die off.

It would make no sense to have two forums - no more than having a special forum for the S2DT because it is different from the older S2 boxes. Hell, even within the S2 there where three notable redesigns - 1xx, 2xx, and 5xx.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.