TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9-year-old 6-tuner Roamio. Everything is still working mostly, though I have been getting some pixelation/stuttering on occasion recently. Might need a new hard drive.

I've been away from this community for a few years. Is there any real benefit to the new Tivo models? I LIKE the classic operating system, and don't necessarily want to try Hydra or whatever it is called. I use an AppleTV for streaming.

What are the benefits to the new models? Drawbacks? Should I just replace my HDD and be happy? Thanks!

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,437 Posts
The later models to the Roamio (Bolt and Edge) are actually worse than the Roamio. Being, It uses 2.5 inch laptop drives that fail often, v21/HydraTE4 (Tivo Experience) software is a whole different world. Transfers, PC-to-Tivo disabled, under v21. Tivo-to-Tivo transfers are initiated from online.tivo.com and only from Tivo models starting with Premiere.

Best to stay with v20/TE3.

With Roamio, you can swap out the 3.5 inch drives with another Red Plus (ends in EFRX/EFZX) up to 8TB (or more), but it requires a computer/Windows with MFSR program to expand beyond 3TB.

·
Registered
175 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts