TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New HD channels ( Mpeg 4) are coming out really soon on D*. I cant get them on my HR10-250 which will soon really bother me. I dont want the HR20 (primarily due to the 2 year commitment and no dual buffers) and have been waiting for an alternative.

An alternative: The Tivo HD receiver for cable just came out at $299.

Sell my two HR10-250 units and buy two Tivo HDs ( might loose a few dollars) but no two year commitment so it is worth it. I dropped Sunday ticket when they charged for HD so no loss here. This way I dont have to deal with the HR20 nor D* and I stay with Tivo.

I guess I need to compare the costs, but I am sure it will be similar. Since I never seem to know all that is going on, what am I missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
coachO said:
I guess I need to compare the costs, but I am sure it will be similar. Since I never seem to know all that is going on, what am I missing?
Have you included the monthly cost that you pay to Tivo? I'm not sure what it is - something on the order of $12.95 - $16.95 I think.

Also these days it seems that cable companies give a lot of incentives to getting rid of the dish, that might offset some of the loss in selling the Directv equipment or the month fees.
 

·
No intent to annoy
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
Certainly at $299 ($269 at CCity with the coupon) it's attractive.

But dont rule out sticking with DirecTV and the HR10-250 until you've really analyzed your needs and looked at your alternatives thoroughly.

You've got to find out what Cable offers you (or FIOS if you can get it), what you can get OTA, what the new HiDef channels are that DirecTV acually delivers, when they deliver them. Also consider alternative content sources now and in the near-term future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
All I know is I wouldn't want to mess with their non-Tivo DVR :)

I'd warn you that the Series 3/HD Tivos don't have Tivo To Go yet, but I guess your current models never did.
 

·
TechKnow Guide
Joined
·
12,027 Posts
Whynot said:
WTF are you talking about?
Old Moe means that the Series 3 HD Tivos cannot be used with DirecTV or Dish Network satellite equipment. The Series 3 HD Tivos can only record from their Cable TV tuners and cable company provided CableCards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Old Moe means that the Series 3 HD Tivos cannot be used with DirecTV or Dish Network satellite equipment. The Series 3 HD Tivos can only record from their Cable TV tuners and cable company provided CableCards.
Ooohhh thought we where talking about HR10 here since the previous post referenced it.
 

·
Drew != Drawn
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
Whynot said:
Ooohhh thought we where talking about HR10 here since the previous post referenced it.
You must have missed Puppy's reference to the Series 3.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top