TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 431 Posts

· The Question
10,719 Posts
Also, I have no experience with women’s bathrooms, but the writer thought it was important.
I certainly had no problem with the women being willing to help (though they all seemed to instantly think it was a man responsible for her disheveled appearance instead of the obvious choice of an alien spaceship). Just that they gave away one of their coats and that they had a spare pair of shoes.

· Registered
19,302 Posts
Wow. We must have watched different episodes because I thought it was terrible.

Let's start with the writing. What's with the talking to the camera? And so seldomly. Either it's a thing or it isn't. It seemed very strange...
...but not as strange as that scene in the women's room. What---that group of women just happily gave away one of their coats and an extra pair of shoes (in Jennifer's size, no less) that they happened to be carrying with them? And talking about clothes, Jennifer is tiny and She-Hulk is huge---something like 4 times her mass. I can hand-wave away the whole conservation-of-mass thing, but how is it that after the Hulking out and then humanizing again in the final scene, Jennifer's jacket and shirt were mostly intact? They should have been shredded into tiny pieces. They certainly weren't made of spandex. Same with the T-shirt Jennifer was wearing when she fought with Banner. It didn't even look skin-tight on the huge She-Hulk.

And on the subject of transformation, in the scene in the lab, She-Hulk was wondering how she was going to turn human again. Then in the very next scene (yoga), she's human again. The following scene is Banner waking her up in bed and her turning back into She-Hulk, and Banner made a comment about how yes, she does become human as she slept. Seems like very poor writing or editing. Oh, and the implication was that she went to bed as She-Hulk...but when she Hulked out from waking up and gained size and mass, she broke the bed. How then could she have laid down on it as She-Hulk?

Only, and now to the acting. I thought Maslany as Jennifer was OK, but she seemed very inconsistent in the scenes as She-Hulk. Maybe it's trying to emote through the makeup/effects, but again, in that scene in the lab (especially the end), she didn't seem very believable.
Well to be fair , my expectation was pretty low haha

· Registered
8,330 Posts
So Bruce and Jen are mutants like Kamala Khan? Right ...
No. Their powers were from gamma rays / gamma blood.

Kamala‘s powers are … well, we’re not 100% sure but from the amulets but her mutant (re: definitely not Inhuman) genes gave her a predisposed gift at get those powers.

I HIGHLY DOUBT Marvel would retcon the Hulk to a mutant or say Jen was since they specifically explained it by Bruce’s blood.

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,509 Posts
No. Their powers were from gamma rays / gamma blood.

Kamala‘s powers are … well, we’re not 100% sure but from the amulets but her mutant (re: definitely not Inhuman) genes gave her a predisposed gift at get those powers.

I HIGHLY DOUBT Marvel would retcon the Hulk to a mutant or say Jen was since they specifically explained it by Bruce’s blood.
They mentioned in this episode that it was a combination of gamma radiation and something about their genetics that produces the Hulk effect.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
They mentioned in this episode that it was a combination of gamma radiation and something about their genetics that produces the Hulk effect.
Yes, as the reason neither of them died from what should have been a lethal amount of gamma radiation poisoning.

The same thing happened in Ms. Marvel when Bruno explained that he had found that Kamala had a genetic mutation which allowed the bracelet to work for her.

· Meh.
41,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My only (small) problem while watching that ladies room scene was that the building was built so Jen was able to go from straight off the street to the bathroom area without being seen by anybody. That's a serious security issue for a bar.

· wait.. I did what?
15,515 Posts
I certainly had no problem with the women being willing to help (though they all seemed to instantly think it was a man responsible for her disheveled appearance instead of the obvious choice of an alien spaceship). Just that they gave away one of their coats and that they had a spare pair of shoes.
The article linked to properly points out why the scene is important, and why they fought to keep it, women bonding over a shared issue in the restroom is a thing and it's an important thing. Unless you're joking, I have no idea why one would assume she was disheveled due to aliens over a man, I think the odds are high that men are the usual guilty party there.

My only (small) problem while watching that ladies room scene was that the building was built so Jen was able to go from straight off the street to the bathroom area without being seen by anybody. That's a serious security issue for a bar.
I've clearly been in different kinds of bars in my life, that setup is very common, especially in non-urban locations.

I'd say that they set their viewpoint pretty clearly with:
When Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner explains that his Hulk triggers are anger and fear, Jennifer shrugs and says, “That’s, like, the baseline of any woman existing.”
This show is most definitely being told from Jen's point of view.

· I am Groot!
58,999 Posts
I've clearly been in different kinds of bars in my life, that setup is very common, especially in non-urban locations.
I'd say the only thing that's unusual is the rear door being propped open. A bit weird for an establishment with a bouncer...kinda defeats the purpose...but of course necessary from a plot perspective! ;)

· Thread Killer
2,448 Posts
Shulkie’s breaking of the 4th wall goes back decades. I don’t think they wanted to overuse it, but it is generally a part of the character.

Also, I have no experience with women’s bathrooms, but the writer thought it was important.

My wife watched this scene and said "That kind of stuff doesnt go on in the women's bathroom" and I said "Maybe at the club?" and she laughed and said "Ive been to plenty of clubs, never seen anything like that. Who acts like that?"

· wait.. I did what?
15,515 Posts
My wife watched this scene and said "That kind of stuff doesnt go on in the women's bathroom" and I said "Maybe at the club?" and she laughed and said "Ive been to plenty of clubs, never seen anything like that. Who acts like that?"
It's clearly a YMMV scenario, but I've seen it happen many times, when a woman is in the rest room and crying, I've always seen plenty of people coming up and making sure she's ok and if she needs anything, and I've seen a scene very much like the one shown more than a few times in my life.

· Thrice as nice
9,213 Posts
I thought it was great. I love the lighter, funnier side of Marvel and this had it. I'm interested in seeing where this show goes because it feels like the first episode is just gonna be different because they needed to set up how she became a hulk and got back into her job. Now let's see how her job actually goes.

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,634 Posts
The way I saw the bar scene was that it's Ladies Night, so the skeevy guys all show up to pick up on them. The women know this and stick together so they can have a good time without it being ruined by these guys, hence the guys all stumbling out of the bar complaining that Ladies Night was "a bust". They see Jennifer alone and think wow here's their chance.

Also remember too, this isn't the city, this is backwoods hick territory. Jennifer & Bruce were on a road trip and clearly in a forested area, like far Northern California or Pacific Northwest kind of stuff where there's a single bar for 50 miles in any direction that people gravitate to.

· ...I'm not.
17,295 Posts
I'm sure the show is winking at a debate that's been raging in the comic book fandom for decades.
I've certainly mused about Cap's poor luck romantically, at least in the MCU timeline.

· ...I'm not.
17,295 Posts
I haven't watched yet, but I'm glad to see the positive reactions here. When I watched the trailer I was not excited.
I still have qualms about the quality of the CGI, but in practice the story somewhat makes up for it.

I also realized that one of the things that was bugging me might explainable in-universe: IMHO, her hulk-form doesn't really follow her human form as closely as Bruce's "Smart Hulk" does; her hair is straight vs. wavy, just as one small example.

I thought it was a failure to really capture the actress' look in CGI, and/or a crass attempt to make her Hulk form more conventionally attractive. But maybe it's because that's what the character subconsciously wants to look like? Banner's Hulk persona seems to be a tantrum-throwing little boy, so he wouldn't care about making himself more attractive or presentable, but maybe her Hulk does?

Perhaps her alter-ego is more of an idealized form of her adult self (or what her childhood/adolescent self imagined for her adult self). She can't help being large and green, but beyond that, everything else might be governed by her mental self-image.

That could also help explain the other thing that bothers me about her CGI; the skin is too smooth, to the point that it looks a bit fake to my eye. But again, maybe that's just adolescent-girl vanity playing out in her idealized form?

· Thrice as nice
9,213 Posts
I'm not sold on the CGI either but the story is most important to me. I think green makeup probably would have been much worse, so I'm cool with it. If the show does well they can work on the CGI.

· Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Maybe she was just saying that if SHE found someone disheveled and bleeding in the women's room, she personally would just ignore them rather than try to help out?

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,057 Posts
It's clearly a YMMV scenario, but I've seen it happen many times, when a woman is in the rest room and crying, I've always seen plenty of people coming up and making sure she's ok and if she needs anything, and I've seen a scene very much like the one shown more than a few times in my life.
But having an extra pair of shoes and giving them away to a stranger? That seemed a little over the top. I guess I could see if someone carried a small pair of flats to change into after a night in high heels, but the shoes they gave her were shiny silver heels. So either one of the ladies left the bathroom barefoot, or went back out into the club in flats/slippers/sandals.

21 - 40 of 431 Posts