TiVo Community Forum banner
261 - 280 of 431 Posts

·
Thrice as nice
11,384 Posts
I still thought it was fun. Nothing mindblowing or anything but it's a quick show with a few laughs and a few eyerolls.

Disappointing they went where everyone was expecting with the boyfriend. It would have been more surprising if he was not the bad guy.

·
Cat God
17,209 Posts
Also in the quick recap they play before the episode they tend to show scenes relevant to the upcoming episode. One of the scenes was the guy trying to jab She-Hulk with the needle which seemed like an odd scene to show for a wedding episode.
I guess they read my post for this episode. :)

Though the one recap they left out they played for laughs.

·
Meh.
40,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
My one main issue with the show is that it seems to be just piling on everything in the last 2 episodes.

Everybody is going to be in the last 2 episodes, Titania, Hulk, Daredevil, Frog Man, etc...

-smak-
There are only two episodes left? Are they going to be two hours each or something? The plot is still on first base and its shoes are untied. The show is entertaining but two minutes of plot advancement per episode isn't a great ratio. I'm beginning to wish that Netflix was still doing these Marvel shows.

·
Cat God
17,209 Posts
There are only two episodes left? Are they going to be two hours each or something? The plot is still on first base and its shoes are untied. The show is entertaining but two minutes of plot advancement per episode isn't a great ratio. I'm beginning to wish that Netflix was still doing these Marvel shows.
I’m fairly certain the show is setting up future plot points in the MCU and most of the open ended story points won’t be resolved by the end of the series.

·
Meh.
40,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I’m fairly certain the show is setting up future plot points in the MCU and most of the open ended story points won’t be resolved by the end of the series.
Oh, I'm pretty sure they have a well thought out, logical plan for this series and how it connects to the rest of the MCU. I'm just a fan doing what fans do - whining when things don't go the way I'd want them to and thinking I could do it better when I know that I really can't.

·
Administrator
8,047 Posts
Sloppy editing when she slapped money down on the bar at the wedding.
Wood Gesture Finger Font Hardwood

·
Excellent.
24,567 Posts
Critic Alan Sepinwall tweeted last week about this show, something to the effect that nobody ever complained when Friends didn't "advance the plot". His point was that while Marvel has conditioned viewers to expect everything they make is part of some ongoing narrative, this show isn't one of those -- it's an episodic comedy.

As someone who has complained here about how threadbare the episodes have been, I reflected on whether my expectations have been wrong and have colored my opinion of the show. To some degree, I think he answer is yes. But even recalibrating how I think about it, mostly no, because it hasn't been a particularly good episodic comedy either. The stories are really lightweight and not particularly funny, which are flaws you can get away with if you have good characters to lean on, but the show hasn't even managed to develop anyone outside of Jen. I mean, can we name a single character besides her, seven episodes in? (It's not good for the show that everyone's answer would probably be "Madisynn".)

Anyway, all that in mind, I came into S01E07 "The Retreat" expecting to be disappointed as usual, and instead was... not? While I don't think this was A-level television, I did think it was the best episode the show has done, and pretty solidly enjoyable. Part of it is because it focused on a relatable real-world situation, and part of it was that it devoted the entire episode to playing out that one situation. It actually had an arc, and then got to be a bit playful inside of that. It's not complicated! And the dating scenes to kick it off were played rom-com straight, and were cute. Not like Jen speed-dating losers she's never have agreed to meet in the first place. This was the first episode where I thought the show had an actual sense of what it is trying to be. It still has a problem that it has no real characters besides Jen, but least maybe it is figuring out how to tell a Jen story, which is a start.

·
Meh.
40,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
...but the show hasn't even managed to develop anyone outside of Jen. I mean, can we name a single character besides her, seven episodes in? (It's not good for the show that everyone's answer would probably be "Madisynn".)
I think they've done a good job with Jen's paralegal assistant although I can't remember her name, which probably speaks to your point.

·
randomize
24,416 Posts
So did I miss something. The guy she was "dating". I saw him copy her phone and then get dressed and leave. But the text he sent made it seem like he got blood from her (which I know they tried before when she was She Hulk and the needle couldn't break the skin). But, we didn't see him get any blood, did we?

·
Meh.
40,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I get that it's an episodic sitcom, I just don't like it. Marvel is wasting money and resources on the TV equivalent of cotton candy.
In Marvel's defense, She-Hulk is an entertaining interlude from Marvel's usual New York, America, earth and/or universe in serious trouble fare. It's meant to be an in between meals snack.

261 - 280 of 431 Posts