TiVo Community Forum banner
221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
It's a tv show based on a comic book. Everything is plausible in that universe.

(But then again, I do whine about the implausibilities within a tv show with dragons. :LOL: )

·
Dumb Blond
47,509 Posts
My wife and I caught up on the series last night, and while there are definitely fun spots, we both agree that there is no real story here. It seems to be a series of gags, funny as they are, that don't coalesce into something more solid. We both loved Ms. Marvel for the way that story and character development were in front of the sight gags. I do get that S-H is primarily a comedy, but why couldn't it have been more like Hawkeye?

We will, of course, watch the final episode (haven't yet), but don't expect our opinion to change.

I do agree that the makeup on Tatiana seems a bit too obvious in some scenes.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
You gotta hand it to them I guess to tease Daredevil at the end of last episode, and then verbally say FU to the DD fans in this episode.
Other than the tease, did they do anything to make one think there would be a DD appearance this week?

I've not watched the DD series, so I'm not really sure what part he plays in this show.

·
TV MA SLV
28,008 Posts
My wife and I caught up on the series last night, and while there are definitely fun spots, we both agree that there is no real story here. It seems to be a series of gags, funny as they are, that don't coalesce into something more solid. We both loved Ms. Marvel for the way that story and character development were in front of the sight gags. I do get that S-H is primarily a comedy, but why couldn't it have been more like Hawkeye?

We will, of course, watch the final episode (haven't yet), but don't expect our opinion to change.

I do agree that the makeup on Tatiana seems a bit too obvious in some scenes.
There are 9 episodes...

-smak-

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Other than the tease, did they do anything to make one think there would be a DD appearance this week?
Yah, I'm not getting the "letdown" vibe either. Teasing the character in episode 5 (of 9) doesn't really mean anything other than than the character likely exists in the same universe and they might cross one day. Not necessarily a setup for the very next episode.

I've not watched the DD series, so I'm not really sure what part he plays in this show.
His day job is a criminal defense lawyer that tends to specialize in "unusual" cases, so should he show up, he'll fit right in. ;)

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
It's a bit amusing how the villains from the Marvel comics world (Titania, the Wrecking Crew) are so...pathetic on this show.

I mean, the Wrecking Crew are a match for Thor. And Titania is a match for, well, She-Hulk.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
I liked the scenes back at the law office. Didn't care for the part of the story with Jen. It was so trite and full of tropes ("here, iron these") that is was painful.

They're also depending too much on the plot device where Jen is not attractive and no guy really wants to date her, only her alter-ego. Maybe it works once, but as an ongoing story line, Tatiana Maslany isn't the actor to use that cliche with.

·
Meh.
43,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I like the She-Hulk series but this episode sucked.

My criticism of Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel was that they were origin stories that took most of their seasons for their superheroes to get full superhero-y. She-Hulk solved that problem for me with her mastering hulking out in its first episode. But it seems like they then forgot to have a solid plot for the subsequent episodes. This was a throw away, stand alone episode that served no real apparent purpose to advance the character except maybe Jen will get a boyfriend. My totally unsubstantiated guess is if Wedding Guy ends up being Jen's boyfriend then he'll later be revealed to be evil.

·
Thrice as nice
10,908 Posts
I agree this episode wasn't great, but I still enjoy the show.

We do keep getting the drawn out plot that someone is trying to get Jen/SH's blood. This episode we had the short clip of the baddie with a giant syringe in a briefcase this time which will likely come in another episode.

I also liked that the bride didn't go all bridezilla as expected once she saw She-Hulk and instead liked it. That was at least a nice unexpected twist.

·
I am Groot!
64,305 Posts
Wait…. Really!? Did I miss that he was one of the bad guys? Or are you just speculating?
Speculating.

But I think it's a pretty obvious speculation...not that I'm sure it will turn out to be the case; just that in a Marvel show, somebody that's too good to be true is often a bad guy in disguise. ;)

221 - 240 of 241 Posts