TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
I was amused that she took off her shoes but not her jacket.
Especially after she lamented about how much she liked that outfit.
The Steve Rogers bit was funny, but is that really a question anyone has ever asked?
I'm sure the show is winking at a debate that's been raging in the comic book fandom for decades.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
It's clearly a YMMV scenario, but I've seen it happen many times, when a woman is in the rest room and crying, I've always seen plenty of people coming up and making sure she's ok and if she needs anything, and I've seen a scene very much like the one shown more than a few times in my life.
But having an extra pair of shoes and giving them away to a stranger? That seemed a little over the top. I guess I could see if someone carried a small pair of flats to change into after a night in high heels, but the shoes they gave her were shiny silver heels. So either one of the ladies left the bathroom barefoot, or went back out into the club in flats/slippers/sandals.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
Yes, I saw that. So what did Bruce mean when he said they could drink copious amounts of alcohol and not get drunk? For that matter, why does Bruce have a fancy bar at all?
I suspect it means that Bruce had always been fine with the amount he drank because he never had anyone that could keep up with him. But Jen seemed to be able to do everything better than him, and this was no exception. So she found his limit, yet was still under her own.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
Well, heck. I'm just now getting hit with a clue-by-four... this is a tie-in to the Edward Norton "Incredible Hulk" movie. The one MCU movie I haven't seen yet. For some reason, I just assumed that the MCU would quietly forget about that movie, so I never bothered to go back and watch it. Guess I should find time to do so now, huh?
Thanks for pointing that out. I was coming here to ask if I should know who Abomination is and whether the story about destroying Harlem was something we've seen in the MCU. Guess maybe I'll have to watch that movie sometime.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
While I realize the actual Megan Thee Stallion was on set to film those scenes, are we sure it's supposed to be the actual Megan and not the shapeshifter? The first time we saw her in court, it seemed like it was intended to be the shapeshifter, and then the mid-credits scene there's no way to know, but in the context of the story it seems more likely that it would be the shapeshifter than the real thing.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
When we saw her in court, the shape-shifter was sitting at the attorney table, so it had to be MTS.

Nothing in the context of the story made me think it wasn't MTS. But ya' never know!
Rewatch that scene in the courtroom again. They pan the gallery and you don't see MTS. Then the judge says he's going to sentence the shapeshifter to 60 days for impersonating a judge and she says, "No, no, no" and starts to run away from the table. Then it cuts to MTS making a comment from the gallery. I think it was clearly implying that the shapeshifter changed into MTS to try and get out of being sentenced to prison.

Especially in the context of the next scene, as everyone is leaving the courtroom and the gullible guy says, "Hey, do you guys think I have a shot with the real Megan Thee Stallion? Should I go back?" I'm pretty sure that scene was reinforcing how gullible the guy is, that he thought that was the real MTS when it was the shapeshifter again.

So when we saw MTS in Jennifer's office at the end, and she's wearing the same outfit that she had on during the court scene, that makes me think maybe Jennifer got tricked by the shapeshifter, too.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
A. What are the chances MTS sits in the gallery of a random trial? Nearly 0.
ii. What are the chances nobody else in the courtroom seems even remotely phased by a huge celebrity sitting in the gallery? Nearly 0.
3. Is there someone in the courtroom who has previously shapeshifted into MTS? Yes.
(d) Did the shapeshifter have a reason to try and disguise herself at that exact moment? Yes.

Seems pretty obvious to me. Kind of surprised there's even any debate about it.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
When I was clubbing when younger I always had 2 pairs, heels and flats, talk to the women in your lives, you'll find it's pretty common.
I don't think the fact that a woman had an extra pair of shoes is all that surprising. What was surprising was that they gave Jen Walters the shiny, sparkly heels. Seems like if they're out clubbing and have an extra pair of "comfy" shoes in a purse, they'd give her the comfy shoes rather than the fancy, shiny heels.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
I thought it was odd how Jen just destroyed that parking garage, picked up some random car and threw it across the parking lot, and then at the end made a joke about, "Oh, I guess I should leave a note." I mean, that's millions of dollars of damage she did. Does nobody hold her responsible for that?

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
That makes it the 10,000th most damaging event in comic book history.

-smak-
Sure, but most others are like saving the world or preventing some much larger disaster. And for most superheroes, their real identities are secret so even if they do damage, the victims wouldn't know who to sue. But since She-Hulk is very open about her identity, and since this was a very minor, meaningless fight that wasn't about saving anyone or anything, it seems odd that she's totally OK with causing that much damage and not worried about getting the bill.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
I appreciate that they tried to go for something funny and different in the finale, and I really liked when the screen "exited" out to the menu and then Jen climbs through the tile and jumps to the Avengers Assembled tile. And I liked that she called out the writers for always falling back on standard superhero tropes. But I was hoping that once we resumed the episode, there would be a unique climax that was funny and satisfying. Instead, when she got back to the episode, it was like we skipped over the whole climax and everything that might have been funny or exciting or satisfying had been undone.

So I like that they tried, but I think they came up short. Overall it tainted the whole season and left me disappointed.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
I'm not so sure they used the body double for everything in the OG-style intro. Specifically, the recreated rampage scene from the Female Lawyer Gala where she was flipping the table in her silver gown. She looked uhhh different.
Agreed. Much of the OG intro/dream made She-Hulk look more like Ferigno than like she had looked the rest of the series.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
From that article:
When budget issues did come to the fore, it required cutting more scenes involving She-Hulk. "Once we got into pre-production and production itself, once somebody had to sit down and start figuring out the cost of everything, it was like every week, I was told, 'Can you cut more She-Hulk scenes? Can you change more She-Hulk scenes to Jen? Can she be Jen in more scenes?'" Gao explains. "Even in post, you know, we had to cut a lot of shots by virtue just because it was She-Hulk."
If having the CGI character on screen was such a problem, it seems like it would have been much easier to just cut all the scenes where she's being Lawyer Hulk. Showing her in the office and in the courtroom as She-Hulk was totally pointless. They should have saved the SH character for when she was going to do something with her powers, not for when she was just doing regular, everyday work.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
If they were able to plan ahead, sure, that would be the way to go. But it sounds like a lot of the budget cutting was done on the fly...
Except the quote from the head writer says, "Once we got into pre-production and production itself, once somebody had to sit down and start figuring out the cost of everything, it was like every week, I was told, 'Can you cut more She-Hulk scenes? Can you change more She-Hulk scenes to Jen? Can she be Jen in more scenes?'" Gao explains.

So it seems like it became known as an issue in pre-production and that should have clued them in that maybe random office scenes with She-Hulk sitting at a desk weren't worth spending the CGI budget on.

Plus, having worked at law firms, I always thought it was a super odd choice for the managing partner who hired her to expect her to be in She-Hulk form all the time in the office. Law firms are generally fairly conservative and wanting a big superhero sideshow walking around the office just seems really strange. I could see if a particular client wanted to meet with She-Hulk then she could change for that meeting, but most lawyers spend the majority of their time in the office just sitting at their desk writing, talking on the phone, etc. The percentage of time actually meeting with clients face-to-face (or even over video conference) is generally very small.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,018 Posts
Which suggests that the budget-cutting was going on even when they were in production.

Which is a pretty crappy way to run a show...just establish a budget and stick to it. Don't come in during filming and say "Nope, gotta cut some more." Doesn't really seem like the Marvel way of doing things...I hope that's not a bad sign of the direction they're headed.
Yeah, I agree it was poorly handled - especially if, as the writer says in that article, her original direction from Feige was they had carte blanche to put in as much She-Hulk as they wanted to.

But my point is that if it became clear, as early as pre-production, that they were going to need to reduce the number of CGI shots, it seems the obvious place to trim would have been the office scenes rather than any outside the office scenes.

Unless Jen working in the office as She-Hulk is something from the comics so they kind of had to keep that in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts