TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Meh.
43,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought the premiere episode was very promising, entertaining and fun. I wish they had dropped a couple of them for the first week.

I chuckled when the paralegal reminded her to take her shoes off before hulking out.

And thank the gods of Asgard it doesn't look there's going to be four or five hours of learning to use her powers origin story.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I enjoyed it. Entertaining and paced well. The after credits scene was funny. I too liked they got the learning to transform and use her powers out of the way in the first episode and not spent the whole season on that.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So Bruce and Jen are mutants like Kamala Khan? Right ...

I was amused that she took off her shoes but not her jacket.

The Steve Rogers bit was funny, but is that really a question anyone has ever asked?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,370 Posts
I was amused that she took off her shoes but not her jacket.
Especially after she lamented about how much she liked that outfit.
The Steve Rogers bit was funny, but is that really a question anyone has ever asked?
I'm sure the show is winking at a debate that's been raging in the comic book fandom for decades.

·
TV MA SLV
28,018 Posts
Really really liked it. And liked that basically the origin and training is out of the way, and we can get to the meat of the show.

Also I liked that we basically got the most sustained Hulk/Banner we've ever seen (Ruffalo version).

-smak-

·
I am Groot!
64,381 Posts
I assumed he was talking about the Hulk/Banner hybrid. If that's not what he was talking about, he can correct me.
The only Hulk that has ever appeared in the MCU is the Hulk/Banner hybrid. (The nature of the hybrid has changed over time. Smart Hulk is one of those variations. The most common has been a childish id rage monster, but it's still Banner at the core of it...i.e., Banner's childish id rage causing the monster.)

In the comics world, there's also the Thunderbolt Ross/Hulk hybrid, the Betty Ross/Hulk hybrid, the Rick Jones/Hulk hybrid, the Amadeus Cho/Hulk hybrid, and of course the Jennifer Walters/Hulk hybrid. Among others.

·
The Question
11,691 Posts
This was much better than I anticipated, hope it continues to surprise me.
Wow. We must have watched different episodes because I thought it was terrible.

Let's start with the writing. What's with the talking to the camera? And so seldomly. Either it's a thing or it isn't. It seemed very strange...
...but not as strange as that scene in the women's room. What---that group of women just happily gave away one of their coats and an extra pair of shoes (in Jennifer's size, no less) that they happened to be carrying with them? And talking about clothes, Jennifer is tiny and She-Hulk is huge---something like 4 times her mass. I can hand-wave away the whole conservation-of-mass thing, but how is it that after the Hulking out and then humanizing again in the final scene, Jennifer's jacket and shirt were mostly intact? They should have been shredded into tiny pieces. They certainly weren't made of spandex. Same with the T-shirt Jennifer was wearing when she fought with Banner. It didn't even look skin-tight on the huge She-Hulk.

And on the subject of transformation, in the scene in the lab, She-Hulk was wondering how she was going to turn human again. Then in the very next scene (yoga), she's human again. The following scene is Banner waking her up in bed and her turning back into She-Hulk, and Banner made a comment about how yes, she does become human as she slept. Seems like very poor writing or editing. Oh, and the implication was that she went to bed as She-Hulk...but when she Hulked out from waking up and gained size and mass, she broke the bed. How then could she have laid down on it as She-Hulk?

Only, and now to the acting. I thought Maslany as Jennifer was OK, but she seemed very inconsistent in the scenes as She-Hulk. Maybe it's trying to emote through the makeup/effects, but again, in that scene in the lab (especially the end), she didn't seem very believable.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Shulkie’s breaking of the 4th wall goes back decades. I don’t think they wanted to overuse it, but it is generally a part of the character.

Also, I have no experience with women’s bathrooms, but the writer thought it was important.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts