TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
They clearly retain a lot of information about sex: consider the waffle party. The problem with Irv and Burt's relationship is that it's forbidden by their cult. As well, Irv and Burt are in different departments that aren't supposed to be interacting at all.

There are plenty of reasons for the relationship to play out differently than Mark and Helly's which don't have anything to do with any squeamishness on the part of the actors, directors, producers, or network with showing gay PDA. Although with Apple you never know.
The CEO of Apple is openly gay. I don't think there are any issues at AppleTV+ with depicting gay characters.

·
witless and unarmed
16,783 Posts
They clearly retain a lot of information about sex: consider the waffle party. The problem with Irv and Burt's relationship is that it's forbidden by their cult. As well, Irv and Burt are in different departments that aren't supposed to be interacting at all.

There are plenty of reasons for the relationship to play out differently than Mark and Helly's which don't have anything to do with any squeamishness on the part of the actors, directors, producers, or network with showing gay PDA. Although with Apple you never know.
I don’t remember what it was about their relationship that made it forbidden by the religion - was it just any fraternization?

I don’t think anyone proactively said “we aren’t going to let the gay couple kiss” and I think they probably felt progressive depicting the relationship that they did. I just think there are still unconscious biases that result in minimizing physical affection (or, any physical affection is such a Big Deal it has to be treated special) between gays couples while taking even the slightest opportunity to allow hetero couples to show physical affection.

You could for sure argue (and I agree) that the moment when Burt and Irv had their heads against each other was more romantic and intimate than the Mark/Helly kiss - but then why not add a kiss to an already intimate moment?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,364 Posts
I don’t remember what it was about their relationship that made it forbidden by the religion - was it just any fraternization?

I don’t think anyone proactively said “we aren’t going to let the gay couple kiss” and I think they probably felt progressive depicting the relationship that they did. I just think there are still unconscious biases that result in minimizing physical affection (or, any physical affection is such a Big Deal it has to be treated special) between gays couples while taking even the slightest opportunity to allow hetero couples to show physical affection.

You could for sure argue (and I agree) that the moment when Burt and Irv had their heads against each other was more romantic and intimate than the Mark/Helly kiss - but then why not add a kiss to an already intimate moment?
I think it was better that they didn't kiss. Not for homophobic reasons, but because at that point of the story Irv was still very much a devotee of Kier and believed deeply in the rules. He was already stretching his limits by visiting Burt and holding hands. I think just completely abandoning all respect for the rules and kissing Burt at that point would have been a step too far. Plus, it would have minimized the dramatic change in Irv's attitude when he comes back from the retirement party and says, "Let's burn this place to the ground."

·
Premium Member
28,316 Posts
I think it was better that they didn't kiss. Not for homophobic reasons, but because at that point of the story Irv was still very much a devotee of Kier and believed deeply in the rules. He was already stretching his limits by visiting Burt and holding hands. I think just completely abandoning all respect for the rules and kissing Burt at that point would have been a step too far. Plus, it would have minimized the dramatic change in Irv's attitude when he comes back from the retirement party and says, "Let's burn this place to the ground."
I totally agree with this.

I think the fact that Irv and Burt didn't kiss heightened/intensified the portrayal of their attraction, and the internal conflicts they were both feeling. I feel that a 'stolen kiss' would have been too easy. The tension between Mark and Helly was nowhere near as intense of obvious as the pure attraction felt between Irv and Burt. I think the Mark/Helly kiss was just more impulsive/in the moment. What Irv and Burt were feeling was nowhere near impulsive, but much deeper.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
If those are the kind of things you're focusing on, I guess the tension of the finale wasn't enough for you. Yes, there will always be continuity issues on any show or film. It's a given.
I didn't think of it as a continuity error -- I was sitting on the edge of my seat as they focused on the sweat and the glasses sliding. I actually thought they were going to fall off at a dramatic point in the action.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I didn't think of it as a continuity error -- I was sitting on the edge of my seat as they focused on the sweat and the glasses sliding. I actually thought they were going to fall off at a dramatic point in the action.
But losing his glasses wouldn't have any effect on him holding those switches. A bigger quibble could be the guy cutting through the fabric belt holding the door shut. No more than a 20 second job got extrapolated out to close to 10 minutes. That is one dull blade.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,133 Posts
But losing his glasses wouldn't have any effect on him holding those switches. A bigger quibble could be the guy cutting through the fabric belt holding the door shut. No more than a 20 second job got extrapolated out to close to 10 minutes. That is one dull blade.
Kevlar belt because they're fashionable...
:)

Reactions: Aaron Malloy

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,403 Posts
Those in So Cal might be interested in this: Apple Hosting Apple TV+ Panels at San Diego Comic-Con.
Comic-Con attendees will also be able to participate in a special "Severance" experience with Lumon Industries.
In addition to these must-see panels, attendees will have the opportunity -- if they dare -- to get "severed" as they immerse themselves in the world of Lumon Industries at an innovative "Severance" installation at the Hard Rock Hotel. The experience will take new Lumon employees through their first day on the severed floor where all of their senses will be required if they hope to be reunited with their "outtie."
Panels will include "Inside Severence," "The Alternate World of For All Mankind," "The Players of Mythic Quest," and "Storytellers of ‌Apple TV+‌."

San Diego Comic-Con International will take place from Thursday, July 21 through Sunday, July 24. Dates and times for panels will be announced closer to the event.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,403 Posts

·
Liberal Elitist
3,596 Posts
Just now reading through this thread because my wife and I finally finished watching last night. We didn't start until all the episodes were available, but then as we got nearer to the end we started increasing the time between viewings because we didn't want it to be over. I don't think we've been so totally captivated by a TV show since Mr. Robot.

I think the only thing I can add that hasn't already been mentioned is that, going forward, it should be standard that Turturro and Walken can only work in tandem.

·
Librocubicularist
24,980 Posts
I'm late to the party here. I put it in my Up Next list to watch back when it first came out and then never got around to starting it until recently, and just finished it last night.

So many questions! So much, "WTF????"

I thought a few episodes before they showed us the torn up picture of Mark's wife that it was going to turn out to be Helly. I didn't see Ms. Casey coming. I also did not realize for a while that all the management weren't severed. I knew that Ms. Cobel and Mrs. Selvig were the same person, but didn't realize she knew who Mark was the whole time. Once they revealed that Ms. Casey was actually Gemma, the question Mrs. Selvig asked Mark's sister asking her if Mark ever thought he saw his dead wife made a lot more sense.

Some other things that I'd like to know, other than the obvious WTF is going on at this company and with this creepy family and why is Mark's dead wife not actually dead are things like:
  • Who is Charlotte Cobel? At first I thought Ms. Cobel/Mrs. Selvig's creepy shrine had a hospital bracelet of her own, maybe she was saved or something with some technology from this company and that's why she's such a true believer? Do they have some elixir of life thing going on keeping people alive for a long time (because the DOB on it was back in the 40's). But then I realized her name is Harmony... so who is Charlotte? Maybe her mom? Why does she have her bracelet in her creepy shrine to Kier?
  • What's up with Dylan G.'s outie? We've now seen nothing of him other than the scene in the closet. When Milchick killed the Overtime protocol in his closet, he showed no surprise to be in the closet with this guy from work, so he obviously knows Milchick outside of work. All he said was something like, "are we done here?"
Also, that was NOT what I was expecting for the waffle party after all the other awards and experiences were so childlike and wholesome! :oops:

·
Excellent.
23,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
  • What's up with Dylan G.'s outie? We've now seen nothing of him other than the scene in the closet. When Milchick killed the Overtime protocol in his closet, he showed no surprise to be in the closet with this guy from work, so he obviously knows Milchick outside of work. All he said was something like, "are we done here?"
I don't think there is anything going on here. Dylan obviously knows he's severed, so very likely Milchick just went over and introduced himself and said he needed to talk to Dylan's innie that night instead of waiting until the morning, and Dylan agreed. Obviously that would have had to happen in the closet or somewhere isolated so that Dylan G would not see anything about his outie's life, so he agreed to go in there.

Also, that was NOT what I was expecting for the waffle party after all the other awards and experiences were so childlike and wholesome! :oops:
Wait, you mean your company doesn't throw you an orgy for doing a good job?

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,538 Posts
Do they have some elixir of life thing going on keeping people alive for a long time (because the DOB on it was back in the 40's).
Maybe 2040's? I assume this is set in the future, although the only real hint of that is the Severance tech itself, which we couldn't do today technically, and probably not legally. Or of course it could be an alternate past, like in the movie Brazil -- set "Somewhere in the 20th century". Some of their tech seems outdated (e.g. CRTs).

101 - 120 of 122 Posts