TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
WDW Fan
15,435 Posts

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,816 Posts
I finally watched this season over the last two weeks and, well it was interesting and fun. On thought I had about Hally is that, now that we know she's management, and the daughter of one of the founders, I wonder if her outie put herself in because she knew something wasn't right and wanted to see exactly what that was. Perhaps there is something that helped push the others to rebel and that was her outie's plan. I don't know, I'm probably completely off base, but it was one thing I thought about...why would someone in "management" let herself become an innie?

·
wait.. I did what?
15,133 Posts
Well, the finale pretty much told us explicitly why she did it, no?
It did for me, I thought they messaged pretty well she was supporting the company/family line and to use a much abused quote "failure was not an option" she needed to go through severance to prove it was acceptable and nothing was going to stop that.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,403 Posts
I finally finished the finale. I had totally stayed out of this thread as I didn't know how it was structured and was afraid there could be spoilers for eps I hadn't seen yet. I also didn't know anything about the release schedule as I started when most/all eps were already released. I'd heard it was good from some Slack posts at work + some posts from FB friends/former co-workers.

I was surprised too about Helly being an Egan. The incentives Milchick offers are pretty funny/lame. It took me awhile to realize that there were some folks who weren't severed (e.g. Cobel, Milchick and later Graner). I'm not familiar with most of the actors but they sure did a great job in casting Graner with the scowl on his face the whole time.

For awhile, I didn't realize that Cobel and Selvig were the same person until something I came across mentioned both character names for the actress and I had to take a closer look.

When I 1st started watching, I was surprised to see Ben Stiller's involvement. I don't follow him but I normally associate him w/comedies like There's Something About Mary and Meet the Fockers so to have him involved w/something so serious threw me off.

A few weeks back, there was Apple TV+ shows come to life with ‘Severance’ and ‘Ted Lasso’ among pop-ups at The Grove Apple Store [Gallery]. But, I don't live in So Cal. I went to that mall in Dec 2021 when I was down there visiting. It feels a bit like Santana Row here in Nor Cal but with the addition of a street car.

·
Premium Member
28,317 Posts
When I 1st started watching, I was surprised to see Ben Stiller's involvement.
I read an article about this, and Stiller has a production company and somehow got the script/treatment for Severance and loved it, so he agreed to produce it.

For awhile, I didn't realize that Cobel and Selvig were the same person
Wow.. really? Her mannerisms, appearance, and speaking cadence are so distinct, I can't imagine anyone not knowing they were the same person almost instantly.

·
I am Groot!
64,379 Posts
Wow.. really? Her mannerisms, appearance, and speaking cadence are so distinct, I can't imagine anyone not knowing they were the same person almost instantly.
Yeah, they very clearly have the exact same face...which was the point. Not only were they not trying to hide that it was the same person, they were flaunting it.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
17,403 Posts
Well, I recall the personas were SO different. She was a cold mean woman as the boss w/her hair down.

As Mrs. Selvig, she seemed like a gentle, mild-mannered, confused woman (e.g. the bins) who wore her hair back.

I kinda suspected they might be the same person but then had it given away by what I stumbled across.

I kinda agree w/what Zevida said/implied in that the pacing could've been a bit faster. I didn't recall a method to watch at a higher speed on my Apple TV 4K box, which I rarely use.

·
witless and unarmed
16,784 Posts
I think the pacing added to the intensity.
Like a Stanley Kubrick movie.
I wouldn’t have minded the pacing I’d there had been any payoff at all.

I don’t need everything wrapped up in a bow - for example leaving the not-dead wife stuff as a tease is fine- but they provided no wrap up on anything.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,365 Posts
Also pissed the cute old guys never made out 👎 Practically queer baiting! (Just like Helly and Mark if they’d been a hetero couple there would have been a stolen kiss somewhere)
There was a stolen kiss between Mark S. and Helly R.

Loved the show overall. During the first several episodes I wished I could watch at a faster speed, but by the last couple the pacing really paid off. I knew the Overtime remote thing would end as Helly was on stage in the middle of her speech, but I was expecting we'd get some additional episode to see the fallout of the switch back. But I guess it makes sense that this was a prime place for a season finale cliffhanger.

·
witless and unarmed
16,784 Posts
There was a stolen kiss between Mark S. and Helly R
That was my point - the hetero couple that had had much less narratively invested in building a romantic relationship got a kiss, while the queer relationship which had been nurtured across the entire season did not.

(My post would have been more clear if it read: Just like Helly and Mark got a stolen kiss because they are a hetero couple and the tiniest amount of sexual tension means there will be payoff, if Irv and Burt been a hetero couple there would have been a stolen kiss somewhere for Irv and Burt and instead because it is a queer couple we got a season full of baiting and no payoff.)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,365 Posts
That was my point - the hetero couple that had had much less narratively invested in building a romantic relationship got a kiss, while the queer relationship which had been nurtured across the entire season did not.

(My post would have been more clear if it read: Just like Helly and Mark got a stolen kiss because they are a hetero couple and the tiniest amount of sexual tension means there will be payoff, if Irv and Burt been a hetero couple there would have been a stolen kiss somewhere for Irv and Burt and instead because it is a queer couple we got a season full of baiting and no payoff.)
Gotcha. But I found it well done that Irv wasn't ready for a kiss because he probably didn't even realize he was gay, or even that there was such thing as hetero or gay, prior to meeting Burt. And he likely felt like he had plenty of time to work up to it since as far as he knows, his existence as an Innie is just going to be the same perpetually. It wasn't until he found out Burt was retiring that he realized he might be losing something he loved, and that was the catalyst for Irv to get on board with the plan.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
When I 1st started watching, I was surprised to see Ben Stiller's involvement. I don't follow him but I normally associate him w/comedies like There's Something About Mary and Meet the Fockers so to have him involved w/something so serious threw me off.
Stiller has recently started to produce and direct more serious material. If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend "Escape at Dannemorra". Patricia Arquette was great in it.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Gotcha. But I found it well done that Irv wasn't ready for a kiss because he probably didn't even realize he was gay, or even that there was such thing as hetero or gay ...
It's hard to know exactly what memories of the outside world they retain. I would assume they understand what straight and gay are, though, because they seem to remember basic stuff about society like that. What they don't remember are the things specific to their outie lives.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,216 Posts
They clearly retain a lot of information about sex: consider the waffle party. The problem with Irv and Burt's relationship is that it's forbidden by their cult. As well, Irv and Burt are in different departments that aren't supposed to be interacting at all.

There are plenty of reasons for the relationship to play out differently than Mark and Helly's which don't have anything to do with any squeamishness on the part of the actors, directors, producers, or network with showing gay PDA. Although with Apple you never know.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts