TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Excellent.
23,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Creator Dan Erickson reputedly had the season and beyond well mapped-out, so I really hope WTF moments like the room full of baby goats ("they're not ready!") isn't a random "let's throw in something weird here" detail. I have faith that it isn't. Ready for what? :oops:

Mark's sister Devon is a great character. Funny, grounded, smart. It's a good performance, because on paper I can't see why on earth she tolerates Ricken, much less is having a baby with him, but somehow the performance makes it work.

Ricken, meanwhile, is an oddly pivotal character given the effect his book is having on the Mark he didn't give it to.

I'm continuing to love Britt Lower's Helly. I wonder if we'll ever get to know why her outie is such a bizniatch. I felt a little bad for Mark S when Ricken's book finally gives him the tools to understand what she is struggling with and she throws his outreach in his face. "I'm not your new Petey." Fortunately they find baby goats after that and she realizes having an ally might be a good idea.

I love Dichen Lachman but I can't decide if she's giving a... not bad, but off maybe?... performance. The non-severed denizens of the floor like Harmony and Milchick are, as we've seen, putting on performances for the employees, but Lachman's Ms. Casey has this ethereal, spaced-out personality that seems like she might be severed but almost certainly isn't. It doesn't bother me and I think it works in context, but it's curious.

It seems ridiculous at first that the divisions could believe all these rumors about each other, but then I think that the innies are basically all infants, with no practical life experience to draw from that would tell them otherwise. So why not. Clever Milchick running a code-whatever on Irving with the copy machine to try to keep him from spending time in O&D.

None of these people actually get much work done!

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,216 Posts
Yes I am SO curious about Helly's outie. What kind of person do you have to be to consign yourself to a hell so terrible that you're willing to commit suicide to escape it, even if you can't remember why? Will we ever get that story?

Ricken's book was absolutely hilarious.

·
I am Groot!
64,380 Posts
Yes I am SO curious about Helly's outie. What kind of person do you have to be to consign yourself to a hell so terrible that you're willing to commit suicide to escape it, even if you can't remember why? Will we ever get that story?
Well, it's obvious that Outside Hellie doesn't think Inside Hellie is a real person. It's interesting that we already know more about how Outside Hellie (whom we've never really met directly) feel about her Innie than Outside Mark does about his.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,216 Posts
I mean yeah, but what kind of person can decide that? Inside Helly is sentient and has total control over outside Helly's body, thoughts, feelings, etc. for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. How can someone utterly disregard that? Outside Helly must be a ... unique person.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
The other thread has never been marked for spoilers, so here's one where we don't have to watch our language.

* SPOILERS for S01E01 - S01E5 "The Grim Barbarity of Optics & Design" FROM HERE *
spoiler thread was created a couple days ago

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,691 Posts
Creator Dan Erickson reputedly had the season and beyond well mapped-out, so I really hope WTF moments like the room full of baby goats ("they're not ready!") isn't a random "let's throw in something weird here" detail. I have faith that it isn't. Ready for what? :oops:
So much of the basement is bizarre enough I wonder if the implants mess with what the severed employees are seeing.

It seems ridiculous at first that the divisions could believe all these rumors about each other, but then I think that the innies are basically all infants, with no practical life experience to draw from that would tell them otherwise. So why not. Clever Milchick running a code-whatever on Irving with the copy machine to try to keep him from spending time in O&D.
Speaking of Milchick and the Code 266 or whatever it was... This episode made it clear that they've got a lot of cameras on the floor, so to me it's a little odd that Graner, Odel, and Milchick seem to get taken by suprise by some of the activities happening on the floor. Unless watching things play out is part of what they are up to.

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,691 Posts
Well, it's obvious that Outside Hellie doesn't think Inside Hellie is a real person. It's interesting that we already know more about how Outside Hellie (whom we've never really met directly) feel about her Innie than Outside Mark does about his.
What little we've seen of authentic outside Hellie, the folks performing the severance seemed to be impressed with her. I'm wondering if she's somebody really important in the management structure, like a board member.

My other random theory: What if the severance chip is more than just on-off? What if they can create a third personality as well? Then they could do something like this:

1. Hellie attempts to quit
2. Let's create a third Hellie. Do whatever training you need to get her to read that script.
3. Delete/stop using third Hellie.

It's a bit related to that new employee survey, which is obviously to check that whatever the severance chip is doing has the correct limits on it. We know it doesn't work perfectly (a handful of examples of memories bleeding through, including Mark's tree); what happens if someone fails that survey? Out of the program? Wipe and try again?

·
Excellent.
23,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
* SPOILERS FOR S01E06 "Hide and Seek" FROM HERE *

I love Dichen Lachman but I can't decide if she's giving a... not bad, but off maybe?... performance. The non-severed denizens of the floor like Harmony and Milchick are, as we've seen, putting on performances for the employees, but Lachman's Ms. Casey has this ethereal, spaced-out personality that seems like she might be severed but almost certainly isn't. It doesn't bother me and I think it works in context, but it's curious.
So Ms. Casey IS a severed (part-time) worker. OK.

I just knew when Devon and Ricken needed a lactation nurse that Harmony/Mrs. Selvig would show up. How creepy she put the baby to sleep humming the Lumon song about Keir. At least we know Harmony is a true believer, judging from the fact that her bedroom in in the bunker-like basement next to a Keir shrine.

Interesting! They can wake the innies up whenever they want. Mr. Milchick even wears his white short-sleeved shirt out into the world. Can't wait to see what Dylan thinks of having seen his outie's kid (and his closet) next episode.

Also will be revealing what new security measures were installed. It seems to be a bit of a race now for Harmony, Michick and the rest to put the clamps back on the severed employees before the employees break too far free of their shackles. I was kind of hoping that Mark S. would refuse to go into the break room. What did they do to him in there? Rapped his knuckles? Made him punch the wall?

I wonder if the pictographic card that Dylan stole was just a reason to show us activating an innie outside or if there will be more explanation of what those cards are for. I need to go back to that point and study what else was on them.

In looking up who plays Alexa, Nikki James, I learned she is a Tony winner (for Book of Mormon). Even the small parts on this show have a pedigree! I like Alexa. I'd like to meet an Alexa.

So Mr. Graner is on the way to the school. Not sure how Mark got there ahead of him as it seemed Graner visited Harmony at home well before Mark and Alexa hooked up and Mark fished the phone out of the trash, but who knows. Maybe Graner didn't go right there. Seems like he had arrived right at the end of the episode though.

"F*** You Lumon!" is stuck in my head.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
12,538 Posts
At least we know Harmony is a true believer, judging from the fact that her bedroom in in the bunker-like basement next to a Keir shrine.
That was really striking. I can kind of see how someone like Irving might embrace the Handbook, when it's effectively the only book he's ever read. But Harmony ought to know better.

·
Excellent.
23,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
* SPOILERS FOR S01E07 "Defiant Jazz" FROM HERE *

It didn't occur to me until Mark was taping his wife's photo back together with his thumb strategically over her face -- reveal obviously coming -- that she may have been someone we would recognize. Holy smokes, she was/is Ms. Casey?!? (Lucky bastard.) I'm not sure how that would work, but I am guessing it explains (or rather, is explained by) Devon's interaction with the other pregnant woman at the birthing retreat and later, and Devon's musing about whether people can be severed in the real world too. Otherwise how would Outie Mark and Outie Ms Casey not possibly think the other is alive/their spouse/etc. There would always be the possibility they could run into each other outside of Lumon. Cool twist. Let's see where they take it.

Can't wait to see what Dylan thinks of having seen his outie's kid (and his closet) next episode.
OK, so he didn't take it well. It's pretty cool how they've worked all the characters to this inflection point. It started with Helly, who came in that way and started putting ideas in their heads. Mark, who on some level was probably always questioning things, got Ricken's book accidentally and opened his mind. Dylan and Irving got the most primal of nudges -- Dylan seeing that he has a son ("you expect me to just walk around here every day knowing that?"), and Irving found love and then had it taken away from him. I was really wondering how they were going to get Irving over the line, since he has been such a Keir devotee. I have to assume that Milchick engineered Burt's retirement as part of his efforts to get MDR under control, but boy did that backfire. Irving's profane explosion at Milchick was pretty startling and also quite sad: "You're all just going to stand there and let him die?"

I have to say, I was kind of into the MDE until Dylan snapped.

Poor Mr. Graner. Never work alone.

I can't wait for the insurrection!

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Holy smokes, she was/is Ms. Casey?!?
I was wondering if that really was her or I just thought it looked like her but is someone different. Then I thought about it more and the way the lead-up was done was clearly to get to a shocking reveal. So it had to be a character we have already seen. Since it’s clearly not Helly or superfluous board intermediary, that leaves the Wellness person.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts