TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Setup

2K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  H2ZX 
DVRBARS sees both drives, I selected the tivo drive as source asked to confirm I did brings up computer dialog box, does not give me choice of the blank drive. What do I need to do?
DvrBARS doesn't have a direct drive to drive copy option. You would have to back up the current drive to an image on your computer, then restore the image to the new drive.

I would use the mfscopy command in MFS Tools 3.x instead of DvrBARS to copy one drive to another. If you include the -a option it will copy the recordings in addition to the OS.

Thank you for image, (new name long story) DVRBARS sees the tivo drive but only as source can't see image file at all. Put a blank drive in did not see anything. When the image downloaded said could not mount, I assume would not want it to anyway. I can erase the tivo drive if necessary what do I need to do for it to see the image?
After you download the zip file extract the actual image, which is a VHD file. Although it's in Microsoft's Virtual Hard Disk format you do not want to mount it.

If your new drive is already formatted for Windows you will need to wipe it first (I recommend the erase test in WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics) because DvrBARS will not overwrite a drive with a valid Windows signature even if you use the Show Mounted Drives option in Settings.

Once you have everything prepared and connected start DvrBARS and choose Restore. First it will ask you to select the Source File, which is the VHD file. Then it will ask you you to select the Target Drive and walk you through the actual restoration process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.