TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TiVo Lover!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am wanting to upgrade to a TiVoHD in the next few months, I currently have a series 2 that I absolutely love, but want HD when I get the TV. I have no other TV's in the house and have no reason to keep the series 2 once I get the HD one up and running (we only watch TV in one room right now)

I was wondering, I know the cost of tivo service has changed in the past two years and I am month to month on mine now (wishing I did a lifetime.. oh well) and I would like to know if I can change TiVo's but keep the same price (like you can at times with a cell phone, you know get a new phone but keep an old plan). I know $4 a month or so is not a big deal, but it would be great to not have to sign a 3 year contract to get the same price.

Question #2
If I did keep the old TiVo and added the second one (getting the MSD) does the TiVo HAVE to stay in the same house? Can I leave it at say... our beach house (if we had one) and not have TiVo know/care? Namely, does the subscription for MSD have to be connecting for TiVo from the same IP or can it be from multiple ones?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
To answer Q2, that's exactly what I'm doing. I have two S3's in my main house - one on a 3 year prepay, and the second on the 6.95 MSD plan. In my beach house In have a TivoHD on the same account and also for the $6.95 MSD rate. TiVo even knows about this because the units show different channel line-ups when I do on-line scheduling.

·
TiVo Lover!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rainwater said:
You can easily buy a new TiVoHD and switch the TSN online. It will deactivate your old S2 and your new box will use the same service as before (w/ no new contract). The whole process takes about 2 minutes.
2 minutes... geez... that is way too long for me. I guess I will have to hire someone to do it. :D

If I add a second TiVo will it be $6.95 like my old contract, or will it be $10.95 the new price??

Thanks

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Deanq4 said:
2 minutes... geez... that is way too long for me. I guess I will have to hire someone to do it. :D

If I add a second TiVo will it be $6.95 like my old contract, or will it be $10.95 the new price??

Thanks
If you SWAP boxes with an existing contract, you keep the same price and terms (e.g. transfer the service on the S2 to a THD).

If you ADD a Tivo, your pricing will be $6 per month off whatever the monthly pricing is for the term (1, 2, 3 years) you select. If you are signed on to Manage My Account, the pricing will be automatically reflected during the activation process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.