TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
You can also put a fitted heat conductor on top of the HDD so that it contacts the top case which will dissipate additional HDD heat.
What is that? Picture? I took apart some Directv DVRs and they had some white rubbery thing between drive and case (pretty much fitted to drive.) Is that what you are talking about? I kept a couple, fit 3.5" drives. Would they only work if contacting the drive and a metal case, if plastic case no good?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I've never needed to place a conducting device, so I've lost a few drives. Perhaps more often than if I'd have left the fans connected. But, since I do NOT want to ever hear those noisy fans, I have no problem replacing a drive every few years on a TiVo. Nevertheless, to utilize the top case as a heat conductor you fill that gap space between the top of the drive and the top case with a good head conductor. Slab of aluminum? Rubber as you mentioned? A quick Amazon search and I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-100x1...BLT8FF4/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07BLT8FF4&psc=1

-J
These are the pads that were stuck to the drives in the DirecTv DVRs. One is a semi dense type of foam. The other two are VERY dense and rubbery, maybe silicone? I'm going to stick one of the dense ones on a Bolt drive. Not sure if they were touching the metal cover of the DVR, will not be for my test of course, Bolt is plastic and I actually have the cover completely off. Much cooler than with cover on, with cover on and laptop cooler I get about 56 C, cover off 48 C.

Rectangle Road surface Wood Flooring Asphalt

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
These are the pads that were stuck to the drives in the DirecTv DVRs. One is a semi dense type of foam. The other two are VERY dense and rubbery, maybe silicone? I'm going to stick one of the dense ones on a Bolt drive. Not sure if they were touching the metal cover of the DVR, will not be for my test of course, Bolt is plastic and I actually have the cover completely off. Much cooler than with cover on, with cover on and laptop cooler I get about 56 C, cover off 48 C.

View attachment 73870
Wow. I put one on the drive, the Bolt does not measure drive temp so can't tell what it does without pulling the drive. However I put the other on top of the heat sink. After 10 mins it went down from 48 C to 41 C. So these may be very handy for Bolt owners, wonder if anyone has got a Bolt ODT down to 41?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Wow. I put one on the drive, the Bolt does not measure drive temp so can't tell what it does without pulling the drive. However I put the other on top of the heat sink. After 10 mins it went down from 48 C to 41 C. So these may be very handy for Bolt owners, wonder if anyone has got a Bolt ODT down to 41?
Well I think the temp reduction was because the pad was at room temp when I put it on the heat sink. After a few hours the pad heated up and the ODT went back to what it was pre-pad. Maybe if the pad was touching something it could transfer the heat to it would actually lower the temp. Bolt case I doubt since plastic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts