TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TiVo folks,

So I found a perfect fit foot replacement for the rubber feet that turn into a crumbled mess. Aliexpress has 12 feet for $4.32 with free shipping. All you have to do is pull out and reuse the existing rubber rivet with some kind of pry tool. You can use a steak knife. The fit is perfect. I got the black, 40.5mmx13.5mm feet but you can get them in silver or gold. Just make sure you get the 40.5mmx13.5mm size. Search for "audio feet" at the aliexpress site and you'll see a bunch of stores with free shipping.

By the way, regarding Premiere fan noise and replacement. I unplug ALL of my fans. I don't care for the noise even with a good fan running. As long as there is space under the TIVO for convection airflow, you're good. It's been 10yrs and I've never fried a TIVO with the exception of replacing the bulging capacitors in the power supply. You can also put a fitted heat conductor on top of the HDD so that it contacts the top case which will dissipate additional HDD heat.

-Jim
4 Premieres and 1 bolt. All Lifetime.

Product Automotive tire Font Material property Circle
Automotive tire Black Audio equipment Gas Automotive wheel system

·
TiVo Lover
291 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You can also put a fitted heat conductor on top of the HDD so that it contacts the top case which will dissipate additional HDD heat.
What is that? Picture? I took apart some Directv DVRs and they had some white rubbery thing between drive and case (pretty much fitted to drive.) Is that what you are talking about? I kept a couple, fit 3.5" drives. Would they only work if contacting the drive and a metal case, if plastic case no good?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is that? Picture? I took apart some Directv DVRs and they had some white rubbery thing between drive and case (pretty much fitted to drive.) Is that what you are talking about? I kept a couple, fit 3.5" drives. Would they only work if contacting the drive and a metal case, if plastic case no good?
I've never needed to place a conducting device, so I've lost a few drives. Perhaps more often than if I'd have left the fans connected. But, since I do NOT want to ever hear those noisy fans, I have no problem replacing a drive every few years on a TiVo. Nevertheless, to utilize the top case as a heat conductor you fill that gap space between the top of the drive and the top case with a good head conductor. Slab of aluminum? Rubber as you mentioned? A quick Amazon search and I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-100x1...BLT8FF4/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07BLT8FF4&psc=1

-J

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I've never needed to place a conducting device, so I've lost a few drives. Perhaps more often than if I'd have left the fans connected. But, since I do NOT want to ever hear those noisy fans, I have no problem replacing a drive every few years on a TiVo. Nevertheless, to utilize the top case as a heat conductor you fill that gap space between the top of the drive and the top case with a good head conductor. Slab of aluminum? Rubber as you mentioned? A quick Amazon search and I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-100x1...BLT8FF4/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07BLT8FF4&psc=1

-J
These are the pads that were stuck to the drives in the DirecTv DVRs. One is a semi dense type of foam. The other two are VERY dense and rubbery, maybe silicone? I'm going to stick one of the dense ones on a Bolt drive. Not sure if they were touching the metal cover of the DVR, will not be for my test of course, Bolt is plastic and I actually have the cover completely off. Much cooler than with cover on, with cover on and laptop cooler I get about 56 C, cover off 48 C.

Rectangle Road surface Wood Flooring Asphalt

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
These are the pads that were stuck to the drives in the DirecTv DVRs. One is a semi dense type of foam. The other two are VERY dense and rubbery, maybe silicone? I'm going to stick one of the dense ones on a Bolt drive. Not sure if they were touching the metal cover of the DVR, will not be for my test of course, Bolt is plastic and I actually have the cover completely off. Much cooler than with cover on, with cover on and laptop cooler I get about 56 C, cover off 48 C.

View attachment 73870
Wow. I put one on the drive, the Bolt does not measure drive temp so can't tell what it does without pulling the drive. However I put the other on top of the heat sink. After 10 mins it went down from 48 C to 41 C. So these may be very handy for Bolt owners, wonder if anyone has got a Bolt ODT down to 41?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Wow. I put one on the drive, the Bolt does not measure drive temp so can't tell what it does without pulling the drive. However I put the other on top of the heat sink. After 10 mins it went down from 48 C to 41 C. So these may be very handy for Bolt owners, wonder if anyone has got a Bolt ODT down to 41?
Well I think the temp reduction was because the pad was at room temp when I put it on the heat sink. After a few hours the pad heated up and the ODT went back to what it was pre-pad. Maybe if the pad was touching something it could transfer the heat to it would actually lower the temp. Bolt case I doubt since plastic.

·
TiVo Lover
291 Posts
I bought a couple dozen of these feet and replaced them. They're nice, I think they will be better than the 3D printed feet I made. I will replace all of our TiVo's feet with these. Thank you for making me aware of these.

Reactions: jamoses
1 - 12 of 12 Posts