TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I started having similar problems with my TiVo recently and came straight to the Community forum to see if there were others and lo and behold, I found this thread.

Since my problem seems to mirror persona1138's, I thought I would share my experience to show that it is affecting more than just him, and to see if we can figure out what the problem is (I'm on hold with TiVo customer support as I write as well):

We bought our S3 back in January thru Amazon and it was working like a charm up until a few days ago. All of a sudden, the TiVo would stutter (freeze for 5-10 seconds, play a second or two, freeze again, play, etc.) in the middle of recorded programs. At first, I thought it was just caused by a bad signal that affected one program. But we noticed this over and over again, for both recently recorded programs and for much older recorded programs. Don't watch much live tv, but it doesn't appear to be a problem then.

When this happens, my S3 becomes unresponsive to the remote or any buttons I press on the unit itself. A few times yesterday, my TiVo actually rebooted itself twice when it was frozen.

I'm afraid that it's a hard drive issue, but am hoping it's something less serious.

Persona - I'll keep you posted on what I hear from customer support.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Persona1138 - Sorry to hear that your TiVo is dead. It appears that mine is too. 7 months seems way too short of a lifespan for a $800 piece of high tech.

When I spoke with TiVO customer support today, they asked me to power cycle the DVR and after doing that it got stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up...." screen. They're going to do an exchange where they send me a refurb in ~ 5 business days, but it's going to cost me $49. I guess it's better than having to buy a brand new one. Per the TiVo rep, it's likely due to a hard drive failure, but they won't know for sure until they actually look at the unit.

richsadams - Thanks for the suggestion about kickstart57, but I think it might be too late for me. LOL on the dead TiVo pic!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.