TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a note, I have a series 3 and the same TV as you, LNS4095D. I have no problems at all with HDCP and the Tivo when running through the HDMI cable, both with the one included with the tivo and a monoprice cable.

However, if your TV is older, you may need to update the firmware on it to fix any potential HDMI handshake issues. Also of note, the latest firmware allows 1:1 pixel mapping on this tv with 1080i or 1080p input thru HDMI.

Check here:

( i cant post URLs, but go to avs forum, LCD display section, find the OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread, and go to post #2044.)

good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
persona1138 said:
Hey everyone, thanks for the myriad of new suggestions. Believe me, I'm willing to try anything.

capitolm94: That's awesome to know about the LNS4095D. Right now, I'm using component (in which case HDCP shouldn't be the cause of my TiVo issue), but that's really cool to know. I'm pretty sure I've got the older firmware.
Out of curiosity, I contacted Samsung to ask them about getting the firmware update (I have a Mac and can't use .exe files to put on a USB flash drive to install the new firmware), and they said that they don't have record of a firmware update for our HDTV model. Is this firmware update legit? Or did I just get a crappy Samsung representative on the phone?
My understanding from the post is that this update enables 24fps HD video on the TV (and the 1:1 pixel mapping thing). Being that I've got a growing collection of Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs, this would be great to have.
I am sure you could find someone with a PC to do it for you. If you choose to update the firmware yourself, that is. Be sure you use a clean, freshly formatted FAT16 usb stick.

That thread on AVSforum is very long, but alot of people have had problems getting samsung to help with it. Basically, it seems you can get a tech to install it for you, and they can download it from the samsung internal tech. Alot of CSRs may not know about it.

I would recommend doing it yourself, it took a grand total of about 3 minutes for me. However, I believe that it caused some extra video processing time, causing minor lip sync errors. No one else has reported this though, and while I realize that I am extremely sensitive to this, if it was not just me I would imagine someone else would have mentioned it.

It allows 1080p24 and 1:1 pixel mapping, thats correct. Apparently there is some problem with a funny colored line on the right hand side of the screen with 1080p60 sources only, but I dont have such a source so cant check. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.