TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Series 3 - Please Help

3K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  capitolm94 
#1 ·
Hey all - I'm brand new to these forums; hopefully I won't repeat any issues listed on TiVo Community. Alright, here's the gist...
I have a Series 3 HD TiVo. Worked great from early January through mid July, with no problems whatsoever. (It was never moved from its shelf, where it's sitting all alone - nothing stacked on top, plenty of ventilation, and not near any subwoofers or anything that would cause interference.) All of a sudden, it started freezing ONLY during recorded programs. Live TV plays just fine, it's just playback of recorded shows. (Menus also "stutter" and respond slowly, from time to time.) The picture freezes, plays for half a second, freezes again, and repeats for about a minute, when it suddenly "snaps out of it" and plays for another five minutes, when it freezes again. It's unwatchable, to say the least.
Called up TiVo in July, and of course I restarted, resetted, and cleared and deleted everything... removed the power cable - nothing worked. So, they sent me a new one (after charging my credit card), and I sent mine back (and was reimbursed for the charge). Brand new TiVo - no worries, right?
Wrong. It had the SAME issue. Not a similar issue, but the SAME freezing problem, and ONLY on recorded programs.
So, I've tried contacting them multiple times, with no answers (in fact, they just have me repeat the same steps as before, to no avail.) I find it hard to believe that two Series 3 boxes would have the same problem, but there you go.
In terms of my setup, I'm using two Scientific Atlanta CableCards, courtesy of Time Warner Cable in Manhattan, the TiVo is connected via HDMI to my HDTV (video settings are at 1080i fixed), network is connected via ethernet, and the power cable is hooked up to one of those giant Monster Cable surge protectors (so no worries about electrical surges that would damage the TiVo.)
The only thing I can think of, which I've suggested to TiVo, is that this is a CableCard compatibility issue. Again, Live TV is perfectly fine, and I'm getting all my channels loud and clear, but still... I used the same CableCards in the old Series 3 as I do now in the new one, and I have the same issue. I've seen mention on the forums of "S model" and "M model" CableCards... If the CableCards ARE the issue, which model should I use? Is there a firmware update for the CableCards? Am I on the right track at all?
Does anyone else have this issue and/or suggestions of how to fix it? TiVo doesn't seem to think it's the CableCards - in fact, their latest suggestion was to cover the front of the TiVo, in case there's IR intereference. (Which seems silly to me, because if it was receiving a "pause" command from another remote, wouldn't the pause menu pop up on screen?) At any rate, I tried covering the IR port on my Series 3, and it didn't work. I even tried disconnecting ALL other nearby appliances, EXCEPT for the HDTV and Series 3, and it STILL has the freezing issue. And, TiVo doesn't want to send me a new box because they can't believe that two Series 3's would have the same issue, but they also aren't making any suggestions that actually work.
Again, my TiVo is well-ventilated, surge-protected, never moved from its shelf, and nothing is stacked on top of it... I've kept up with all the service updates, and I have NOT modified it at all with external eSATA drives, etc. What could the issue be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this super-long post, but I thought I'd be thorough in my description of the issue. Take care, and I look forward to hearing from you~

See less See more
#3 ·
Tried it, no dice. Also tried 720p fixed and all the other resolutions, all of which have the freezing problem. I have a Samsung LNS-4095D 1080p HDTV - Can't imagine that it would be an incompatibility issue there, but it was worth a try.
Thanks for the suggestion, though - Pray for me, man ;) (Especially for my wife... She's the big TV guru, and we both work in the broadcast industry, so you can imagine how completely frustrated we both are.)

#5 ·
Just trying to help you, could it be HDCP issues? Have you looked into the display forums? Perhaps it is a setting in your tellie.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1894924,00.asp

If you're savvy with computers, you can replace Tivo's hard drive yourself. I believe in one of the sticky's you'll find instructions how to make an image of your current HD, swap the drive, and reload the image on your new drive. Nevertheless, for me that would be the last resort.

#6 ·
Yeah, that sounds right to me. I didn't think it would be the CableCards, but that incompatibility "theory" was the first thing that popped in my mind since, a) I used the same two CableCards in both TiVo's, and b) it's hard to believe I got two "bad" boxes.
But yeah, the hard drive may just be crapped out. I'm with 'ya, man - I think I got two lemons.
Now, the problem is getting TiVo to believe me, because they've said repeatedly that having two Series 3's with the same problem is incredibly rare.
Also, last note (and something I forgot to mention in my first post)... After trying to watch a recorded program that freezes, I've stopped watching, gone to bed for the night (in a fit of complete frustration), and tried to watch it the next day, and the program (in the places that initially "froze") plays back just fine. (Of course, the freezing issue pops up either later in the episode, or in other recorded programs.)
So, oddly, the freezing isn't due to a problem with the file as it's recorded on the TiVo - I think it recorded just fine - it seems to be a playback issue.
Again, thanks for your help, man. TiVo's supposed to call me back tonight, and I'll bring up everyone's theories then. If anyone else has any ideas, please don't hesitate to leave a note.
The whole situation sucks, especially since our Series 2 has worked for years, and been moved through three different apartments, with no issues whatsoever. I'm a big TiVo fan, but my Series 3 just doesn't want to work.

#8 ·
persona1138 said:
Thanks for the HDCP note... That's possible.
I'll try using component video (since I can still get 1080i) and see how that works out.
I was JUST going to post suggesting the same, in reviewing the thread it had all the signs of an HDCP issue and that would only be possible with HDMI, but would not show in component.

Diane

#9 ·
Diane - Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder ;)
I'll definitely give it a try tonight when I get home, and let you guys know if it works or not. And then (if it works) when TiVo calls me tonight, I can tell them "Take that, suckas!"
(Disclaimer - TiVo Support has always been very helpful, they just can't seem to pinpoint this issue - no offense to them. Plus, I don't have enough street cred to use "suckas!" in any kind of sentence.)

#10 ·
Good news, everyone! 2 hours of using component video and no problems!!
Looks like it was an HDCP issue with HDMI. Menus and playback are snappier, and no freezes. I'll keep on the lookout for any issues, but it's looking good.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out!!

#12 ·
Okay, so I'm not out of the woods yet.
I'm now using component video on my Series 3, stereo audio out (both directly to the HDTV), video output settings are at "Native"... And I'm still getting the issue. HOWEVER, menus are MUCH snappier (they load faster, the backgrounds in the TiVo menus don't "stutter" anywhere near as much, and it goes from "Now Playing" to my recorded program A LOT quicker), and the "freezing" during recorded program is less frequent and lasts for a shorter period of time.
...But it's still happening. I went for a few hours with no problems, but then it came back. During those first few hours, I was watching pre-recorded standard-def television - my freezing seemed to pop up last night during HD recordings. (However, my wife tells me that some of her standard-def recordings that she watched this morning also had our freezing problem.)
TiVo also suggested trying another HDMI cable (I was using the one that came with my TiVo, originally) - Haven't gotten around to trying that yet, but since the issue is also occurring over component, it doesn't look like the HDMI cable is the issue.
Again, the issue is MUCH less frequent, and it "unfreezes" itself infinitely faster than it used to. (Freezes and stutters would go on for up to 10 minutes in the past... now it freezes and stutters for 3-5 seconds, and then continues playing on its merry way.) But I really wish I could find out what the problem is, here.
TiVo tells me that this issue seems to be popping up with more and more frequency... Apparently I'm not the only one.
Anyway, that's the update... And the game is still afoot.

#13 ·
persona1138 said:
Okay, so I'm not out of the woods yet.
I'm now using component video on my Series 3, stereo audio out (both directly to the HDTV), video output settings are at "Native"... And I'm still getting the issue. HOWEVER, menus are MUCH snappier (they load faster, the backgrounds in the TiVo menus don't "stutter" anywhere near as much, and it goes from "Now Playing" to my recorded program A LOT quicker), and the "freezing" during recorded program is less frequent and lasts for a shorter period of time.
...But it's still happening. I went for a few hours with no problems, but then it came back. During those first few hours, I was watching pre-recorded standard-def television - my freezing seemed to pop up last night during HD recordings. (However, my wife tells me that some of her standard-def recordings that she watched this morning also had our freezing problem.)
TiVo also suggested trying another HDMI cable (I was using the one that came with my TiVo, originally) - Haven't gotten around to trying that yet, but since the issue is also occurring over component, it doesn't look like the HDMI cable is the issue.
Again, the issue is MUCH less frequent, and it "unfreezes" itself infinitely faster than it used to. (Freezes and stutters would go on for up to 10 minutes in the past... now it freezes and stutters for 3-5 seconds, and then continues playing on its merry way.) But I really wish I could find out what the problem is, here.
TiVo tells me that this issue seems to be popping up with more and more frequency... Apparently I'm not the only one.
Anyway, that's the update... And the game is still afoot.
I had the same locking up problems with my Series 2 Tivos, I tried keeping the content on the hard drive when the freeze up occured... That seemed to solve the probem... After a few weeks would delete that program, and the problem repeated...
After swapping out the drive in question the problem was solved... It's just a thought

#14 ·
Diablo - I agree, it seems to be a hard drive issue. Still, two bad hard drives in a row (between my first Series 3 and then the replacement)... That's gotta be a record (or close to it). And the other weird issue is that programs don't freeze up in the same places when I play them. As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I'll try playing a program, it "stutters" for a bit, I go to bed for the night, try playing it the next day, and there's no problem. So, the video file as it's written on the hard drive is okay... I'm not sure if it IS the hard drive itself (which it may be), or frankly... I'm starting to think that TiVo just doesn't put enough RAM in their boxes to handle two CableCards and high-def playback (along with all the other features on the Series 3). I may be completely wrong there, and not everyone seems to be having my issue, so that doesn't seem likely, either.
Nevertheless, TiVo tells me that this issue is getting more and more rampant among Series 3 customers. And like I said from the beginning, my first Series 3 worked perfectly from January through July, with absolutely no issues. Maybe an update around late June/July was the cause of these problems, maybe it was something else... I think I'm running out of options here.
I'll bring up the hard drive idea to them tonight.

#15 ·
Personally, I am not yet convinced it is a hard drive issue. To me it sounds like a pixelation problem combined with a possible HDMI/DHCP issue. Try a new HDMI cable and try -in this forum- proposed solutions to minimize pixelation. If you have a cable splitter, remove it. Use good coax cables from the wall output to your tivo.
Add a signal amplifier if you suspect your signal is weak. If you have the cable run through a power surge protector, remove it. These last solutions helped me in the past. By the way, my problems were really channel dependent (meaning: only a few channels gave problems)

#16 ·
mvnuenen said:
Personally, I am not yet convinced it is a hard drive issue. To me it sounds like a pixelation problem combined with a possible HDMI/DHCP issue. Try a new HDMI cable and try -in this forum- proposed solutions to minimize pixelation. If you have a cable splitter, remove it. Use good coax cables from the wall output to your tivo.
Add a signal amplifier if you suspect your signal is weak. If you have the cable run through a power surge protector, remove it. These last solutions helped me in the past. By the way, my problems were really channel dependent (meaning: only a few channels gave problems)
If it were a DHCP issue you should not see this with the component cables. Sounds like the hard drive. However, if it was the hard drive, live tv should be exhibiting the behavior as well (depending what sectors are written to for live tv vs recording programs)... It is odd indeed.

#17 ·
No cable splitter, and I can't replace my apartment's coax cables (although they're brand-new), since they're built into the wall. There's a signal strength meter in the TiVo, to see the strength of each channel's reception, and it's all coming in at 100%. No separate cable box - again, I'm just using the CableCards, built directly into the Series 3. (The Series 3 is connected to one of those giant Monster Cable surge protectors.) And the freezing problem applies to all recorded programs, regardless of which channels they were on. Plus, programs don't freeze in the same places every time, and it happens only occassionally.
And yeah, I hear 'ya on the component cables - the HDCP theory (I was really hoping that was the problem) shouldn't be an issue now that I'm using analog cables. Again, however, my freezing problems are less dramatic since I've gone to the component cables, and menus are "snappier." On the other hand, the problem isn't gone - it's just less severe. I shouldn't be getting the freezing issue at all, especially with an 800 dollar piece of equipment.
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys - I'm trying out everything, and I'm sure I'll be on the phone with tech support again tonight.

#19 ·
mvneunen,
No, I haven't been running the cable through the surge protector - it just goes straight from the wall and into the TiVo. And when you say firmware update, you're referring to the TiVo itself and not the CableCards, right?

Just as a recap to everyone who's just reading this thread, I've got a Series 3 TiVo that's stuttering (freeze, play, freeze, play... over and over again) on recorded programs only. Live TV is playing just fine. Restarts, resets, clearing and deleting everything, switching from HDMI to component video, switching video settings... nothing works. Here's the skinny:

Series 3 TiVo directly connected to Samsung LNS-4095D 1080p HDTV via component video and stereo audio (I was originally using HDMI, the component cables seem to make the stuttering less severe, but it's still got the same problem... All cables are what come in the Series 3 box.)
Two Scientific Atlanta CableCards (courtesy of Time Warner Cable in Manhattan) installed - cable running directly from the wall into the TiVo.
Network connected via ethernet to the TiVo
TiVo power cable connected to a Monster Cable surge protector
All TV channels are being received, all video and audio, Live TV plays great with no hiccups - recorded shows (and when I was using HDMI, the TiVo menus) freeze up during playback
Already tried turning off all other nearby appliances - interference is not the issue

Hope that recap helps newcomers to this thread
Thanks for all the suggestions that have been made so far - Despite the fact that I've still got the issue, it's been a big help and switching to component has definitely lessened the frequency and length of the freezing "hiccups" during playback, and TiVo menus are playing nice - Great suggestion from everyone, thank you!

#21 ·
So TiVo engineers are working on the problem now... According to my representative, it looks like it's an issue with the TiVo itself (whether it's software or hardware they're not sure... but they seem be leaning towards a hardware issue). Apparently, a bunch of other Series 3 customers have the same problem. When TiVo sent me a new Series 3, it was a refurbished box, not a new straight-from-the-factory one. So basically, they're thinking that there was a manufacturing problem with the early line of Series 3's (I bought my first one right after they came out, and chances are, my "refurbished" replacement is also one of those early Series 3's.)
The engineers are going to look into re-installing firmware on their end, and check my hard drive over the network, if need be. They're exploring all options, and I've gotta say, despite how annoying this issue is, TiVo support (along with all you guys) has been very accommodating. Worst-case scenario, my representative says, they'll send me a brand-new (note: NOT refurbished) Series 3 and replace my current one.
So, either way, it looks like the problem is out of my hands (whatever the problem may be)... But, good news is, it's going to be fixed soon.
Keep your fingers crossed, and once I get a finalized explanation, I'll be sure to post it on the thread for future reference, in case anyone else in these forums has encountered the same issue.
Stay tuned...

#22 ·
Just a note, I have a series 3 and the same TV as you, LNS4095D. I have no problems at all with HDCP and the Tivo when running through the HDMI cable, both with the one included with the tivo and a monoprice cable.

However, if your TV is older, you may need to update the firmware on it to fix any potential HDMI handshake issues. Also of note, the latest firmware allows 1:1 pixel mapping on this tv with 1080i or 1080p input thru HDMI.

Check here:

( i cant post URLs, but go to avs forum, LCD display section, find the OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread, and go to post #2044.)

good luck.

#24 ·
Sorry to hear that you're having (continual) problems with your S3 and thanks for the detailed explanations. There's nothing worse than someone saying "My TiVo does this or that. Anyone else have this problem?" :mad: You've already received a lot of good advice but since there's still an issue I'll toss in my two cents.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence in what the TiVo CSR's say. "...a bunch of other Series 3 customers have the same problem." doesn't mean much other than that particular CSR may have encountered some similar complaints. With thousands of boxes in use we would likely see a "bunch of complaints" like yours on this forum and yours is fairly unique, especially having the exact same problem on two boxes.

There was a software upgrade from v8.1 to v8.3 (there was no v8.2) which started in May and caused some users problems similar to what you’ve described. When you received your replacement box it most likely came with v8.1 and subsequently upgraded to v8.3 in a few days. When you first hooked up the new box did everything work and then the problems came back or were the problems immediate? In any case there is another thread on this issue. It's possible that your problems could possibly have been exacerbated by the update. TiVo has acknowledged the v8.3 problem and they say it will be addressed in the next upgrade, "soon".

You may be a victim of a "perfect storm" in that the SA cable cards have become an issue recently, even for those that have had them for months (again, v8.3 may be to blame), the HDMI/HDCP handshake between TiVo and your television can be causing problems and/or it may be a hard drive issue...all of which have been discussed.

Here are a couple of thoughts.

1. Are you able to connect this TiVo to another television? I'd be interested to know if you experience the same problem with another set particularly if you connect it via composite or component. If the problem disappears I'd look to the television being an issue and could be rectified with #4 below.

2. I've read on two other threads (which I’ll be darned if I can find) that users switched from a direct Ethernet connection to a Linksys USB200M v.2 10/100 Ethernet USB adapter connection and it cleared up similar problems. I have no idea why that worked but it did. EDIT: Ah-ha! moyekj found one of the posts while I was busy writing. Cheers for that! :up:

3. Perhaps you already have, but if not try replacing all of your coax and other cables with new, quality cables in as short a configuration as practical.

4. When you switched from HDMI to component (or back) did you do a hard reboot on both your television and TiVo? (Unplug the units for 10 to 15 seconds and plug back in...television first, TiVo second and vice versa.) FWIW I think it's good that you removed the HDMI cable from the mix. There's very little if any difference in PQ with a component connection and the whole handshake problem is eliminated.

5. If it is a hard drive/data corruption issue (which would indeed be strange to be happening to you twice) you can try performing a Kickstart 57. That will run TiVo’s “check disk” program which will correct any configuration problems as well as isolating any bad sectors on the HDD. If it is a firmware issue you can try performing a Kickstart 58 - which is the same procedure as Kickstart 57 but using the numbers "5" and "8" which will download new firmware to the second partition on the "A" drive and reboot from that.

6. A final thought would be to have TWC do a couple of things. Roll a truck to your place to test the signals and the cable cards. Have them replace your cable cards or at minimum "re-hit" your cable cards or better yet see if they can supply Motorola cable cards instead.

Forgive the novel, but I know how frustrating it can be when your TiVo isn't all it can be...and even more important; when the wife isn't happy because we all know that when momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! ;) Hope that helps and please keep us posted!

#25 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the myriad of new suggestions. Believe me, I'm willing to try anything.

capitolm94: That's awesome to know about the LNS4095D. Right now, I'm using component (in which case HDCP shouldn't be the cause of my TiVo issue), but that's really cool to know. I'm pretty sure I've got the older firmware.
Out of curiosity, I contacted Samsung to ask them about getting the firmware update (I have a Mac and can't use .exe files to put on a USB flash drive to install the new firmware), and they said that they don't have record of a firmware update for our HDTV model. Is this firmware update legit? Or did I just get a crappy Samsung representative on the phone?
My understanding from the post is that this update enables 24fps HD video on the TV (and the 1:1 pixel mapping thing). Being that I've got a growing collection of Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs, this would be great to have.

moyekj: Great suggestion on using USB port networking. I've got a wireless network, so maybe I'll pick up the TiVo Wireless Network Adapter and try that out. (I could do a USB to Ethernet adapter, but I figure, why not get rid of the wires?)

richsadams: Wow, man. A whole lot of suggestions... Can't thank you enough for taking the time to write all that and offer some more possible solutions. Yes, a May update that screwed things up sounds about right to me... I started getting issues in June, or so... But at first I shrugged it off as a stutter in the cable and didn't pay much attention to it. (It also got worse over time, so I couldn't really "forgive" the issue anymore.) So I think you're right about the update theory. Again, my issue popped up (on my first Series 3) MONTHS after I bought it. The second replacement TiVo was working fine out of the box (although I only had it working for about 10 minutes before I was forced to connect to the TiVo service and update the box), but it was only after the update that I started getting issues. So yeah, it was probably 8.1 and got bumped up to 8.3.
I've heard about issues with SA CableCards... It sucks that that's all Time Warner Cable in Manhattan uses, and they're the sole cable provider. I'm stuck with 'em. Now that I'm using component, HDCP shouldn't be an issue, but yeah... the bad hard drive theory is still a possibility.
As for your questions...
1) Same issue with the TiVo on multiple televisions (via both composite and component connections... just tried that last night) - I've still got the issue.
2) I'll definitely try using the USB port for networking. That's entirely a possibility. (That really is a weird issue, if that's the case.)
3) Coax cables I'm using are brand-new... Plus, they're built into my apartment wall, and I can't replace them. (Bummer.) But I promise you that they're in good condition, and actually a tad shorter than I'd like them to be - so no worries there.
4) I did a hard reboot after switching to component (haven't switched back to HDMI), and had the same issue. And yeah, I agree that component seems the better choice, and avoids the whole handshake issue. D@mn you, HDMI.
5) I'll see about trying the Kickstart 57/58 tonight... Stay tuned on that one.
6) Reading the CableCard menus, I'm getting "hits" and on the signal strength meter, 100%. But yeah, I've been considering having them come over... Problem is, they're booked solid for about two weeks! (TWC is NEVER helpful.) Anyway, I'll avoid that until I've tried everything else 'cuz dealing with them is beyond a hassle.

And no apologies for the novel, man, I really appreciate it. I hear 'ya on the wife not being happy - but I'm a bulldog and I won't let go of this 'till it gets solved.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help! Keep checking back to see the mystery (hopefully) resolved, and if you have any more suggestions, please drop a note.

#26 ·
persona1138 said:
Thanks again, everyone, for all your help! Keep checking back to see the mystery (hopefully) resolved, and if you have any more suggestions, please drop a note.
No worries...glad to help.

Maybe I missed it but did you say that you had hard rebooted TiVo and your TV? It may or may not make a difference, but it's possible.

I was just referring to the coax cable coming from the wall to TiVo and any others you might have connected...done deal.

I was just reading a nightmare story about TWC on another thread. :mad: I thought Comcast was bad. I'd go ahead and schedule a truck roll to get in the queue anyway. You can always cancel it...or tell them you'll let them know when they can come in sometime during the 12 hours that they're standing outside your front door (seems only fair). :rolleyes:

Bulldogged determination is good, at least when it comes to CE's. I flat-out refuse to let an inanimate object get the best of me...much to my wife's chagrin sometimes. ;)

Hang in there! :up:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.