TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located in Cleveland, Ohio, I just purchased the Series 3 HD at Circuit City. Many thanks to the people in these forums mentioning the 10% off coupon.

Just called my cable company (Time Warner) and they coming tomorrow to install cable cards into my TV.

However, can I wait until after the technican leaves to activate my HD Tivo? I am not going to be home when they come tomorrow during the day and my wife does not want to get involved.

I am hoping they can come install the cards and I can come home tomorrow and just connect the HD BOX. Will this work?

Any advice here is appreciated. Please let me know. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,254 Posts
atomarchio said:
Located in Cleveland, Ohio, I just purchased the Series 3 HD at Circuit City. Many thanks to the people in these forums mentioning the 10% off coupon.

Just called my cable company (Time Warner) and they coming tomorrow to install cable cards into my TV.

However, can I wait until after the technican leaves to activate my HD Tivo? I am not going to be home when they come tomorrow during the day and my wife does not want to get involved.

I am hoping they can come install the cards and I can come home tomorrow and just connect the HD BOX. Will this work?

Any advice here is appreciated. Please let me know. Thanks.
No, because the tech needs to install the CableCARDs in your Tivo box (not sure if you have a Series 3 or a TivoHD), not your TV. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought the new one for $258 today. (That's Tivo HD, right?). If I activate the new box now, I have to then de-activate an existing one. I don't want to do that now because I won't be able to watch TV until the Time Warner gets there.

Since they are giving me an "8am to 8pm" window for tomorrow, I want to wait an activate my new Tivo HD at the last possible minute.

Looking at the back of my TV. I see a slot there for cablecard. How many cablecards do I need? Do they plug into TV, Tivo, or both?

Please help explain. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
I would suggest that there enough problems with cablecard installation that you should not try to introduce more variables into the process.

they will install the cablecards into the Tivo, not the TV. They will either install one m-card into slot one (if they have them) or two s-cards into the Tivo.

You can authorize the Tivo today, run guided setup, and then check out that it is functioning OK. Just tell Tivo during guided setup that you are using cable only (no cards and no OTA). If it is working Ok you can record and watch all the basic channels while you are waiting for the cards.

After they install the cards you can then run guided setup again indicating you have the cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
atomarchio said:
I just bought the new one for $258 today. (That's Tivo HD, right?). If I activate the new box now, I have to then de-activate an existing one. I don't want to do that now because I won't be able to watch TV until the Time Warner gets there.

Since they are giving me an "8am to 8pm" window for tomorrow, I want to wait an activate my new Tivo HD at the last possible minute.

Looking at the back of my TV. I see a slot there for cablecard. How many cablecards do I need? Do they plug into TV, Tivo, or both?

Please help explain. Thanks.
You have 7 days to activate the box with Tivo. It will work for 7 days without activating it with Tivo. The box has to be connected in order to install the cable cards.
Again, it will work for 7 days without activating the box with Tivo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,160 Posts
atomarchio said:
Since they are giving me an "8am to 8pm" window for tomorrow, I want to wait an activate my new Tivo HD at the last possible minute.
Seriously? They expect you to wait around for them for 12 hours??!! :eek: I would certainly talk to a TWC supervisor about that.

Isn't there some sort of federal law that requires companies to give a four hour (or less) timeframe for services and deliveries?! 12 hours? That's shameful! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're the only game in town so they provide an awful level of customer service. I am going to activate the Tivo in the morning and then hope someone is home when they get here.

A 12 hour window is awful. Anyone else dealing with that kind of service level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,160 Posts
atomarchio said:
They're the only game in town so they provide an awful level of customer service. I am going to activate the Tivo in the morning and then hope someone is home when they get here.

A 12 hour window is awful. Anyone else dealing with that kind of service level.
At some point the will have competition...then they'll wonder why so many people will be canceling their service. Shameful. :(
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top