TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Premiere with Lifetime.

Currently own a Series 2 that's been on a month to month $12.95 plan for years. There were several days remaining on the current month. the plan was to switch/upgrade.

What they did was - turned my S2 into an "Inactive DVR" - I saw this on the account and asked - they responded - "It looks like your Series2 has 60 days of temporary service". They also did this the day I ordered the Premiere - a week in advance of actually receiving it - and I still don't have it!

I had hoped/intended to pull the S2 offline before it could be remotely killed - so it could at least possibly retain the ability to manually record.

What I fear now is that they've hit it with a "poison pill" that will completely kill it in 60 days. What's worse is - they did this while my account was STILL ACTIVE at 100% service. They essentially took those remaining several days I had, and wiped them out. I even had a calendar e-reminder set to get me to unplug the day before service expired!

What I don't know for sure - is if there is a poison pill in reality - or not.
I can't exactly make them reactivate it - especially if I disclose my plan to take it offline before they can kill it.

Manual recording with no service is theoretically possible - but if this is killed by TiVo it may become a brick.

Thoughts?

· Registered
884 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that only early Series 1 machines could do manual recordings without a subscription?

· Registered
7,936 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that only early Series 1 machines could do manual recordings without a subscription?
That is correct although a few people have reported that they can record with an unsub Series 2 after the 31 days of no connection to TiVo, I never had that luck.

· Registered
16,635 Posts
I just bought a Premiere with Lifetime.

Currently own a Series 2 that's been on a month to month $12.95 plan for years. There were several days remaining on the current month. the plan was to switch/upgrade.

What they did was - turned my S2 into an "Inactive DVR" - I saw this on the account and asked - they responded - "It looks like your Series2 has 60 days of temporary service". They also did this the day I ordered the Premiere - a week in advance of actually receiving it - and I still don't have it!

I had hoped/intended to pull the S2 offline before it could be remotely killed - so it could at least possibly retain the ability to manually record.

What I fear now is that they've hit it with a "poison pill" that will completely kill it in 60 days. What's worse is - they did this while my account was STILL ACTIVE at 100% service. They essentially took those remaining several days I had, and wiped them out. I even had a calendar e-reminder set to get me to unplug the day before service expired!

What I don't know for sure - is if there is a poison pill in reality - or not.
I can't exactly make them reactivate it - especially if I disclose my plan to take it offline before they can kill it.

Manual recording with no service is theoretically possible - but if this is killed by TiVo it may become a brick.

Thoughts?
The poison pill likely isn't in your S2, but in their servers where they keep the datbase entries for your account.

When you bought the Premiere with Lifetime I assume you paid a lot for the machine and a lot for the subscription. Tell me if I'm wrong.

But what specifically did you say to them about your S2 when you bought the Premiere?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.