TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
380 Posts
I don't know if it's stated anywhere in the thread but it seems to be tied to using the actual Stream app on the device (the one launched by the TiVo button on the remote). I removed the SEI Robotics access a couple days ago, used the device a few times since then then tonight opened the Stream app for the first time and instantly I saw the full account access return.

·
Legend
380 Posts
Did you get an instant Google security event email? I don't recall ever getting a security alert email about SEI getting full access.
No I was just refreshing the security/3rd party access screen from Google Account settings page on my phone.

I removed the access again and disabled the Stream app. Need to decide if thats enough or try to get refunds from TiVo for a purchase made just over 60 days ago...

·
Legend
380 Posts
I totally forgot about during my freak out, Nvidia certainly does have access
Maybe a difference here is the SEI is shown as not verified by Google, in addition to the uploading the device seems to do. I still don't see why either need access to the whole account though but maybe it's a lack of granular setting here since it does searching and has Google Assistant, etc?

Azure Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot

·
Legend
380 Posts
Today this is now showing as "Tivo Stream 4k" in my Google account, instead of SEI Robotics. It's also no longer in the risky access/unverified by Google section.

I've been watching it in AdGuard Home for a couple days too, Stream seems to do as many DNS lookups as an Nvidia Shield. It clearly hits a few TiVo/SEI specific addresses to phone home data, just like Shield hits a few Nvidia addresses but not as many as my Jetstream 4K device (also Android TV). I've never paid too close attention but it's amazing how much Netflix and Prime both connect out even when not in use. Also weird is I've got 3 of these Stream's running but one does twice as much activity as the other two regardless of actual device usage. The Vizio TVs do about the same amount as everything else.

I think the part about it destroying Google Home settings/Nest subscriptions is a valid complaint but everything else is probably pretty normal for a modern media device. They phone home, a lot...

1 - 5 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.