TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TiVo Junkie
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I actually picked one of these up for my HR20 but it will work fine on the TiVo series 3 also!

$199.99 - 10% email coupon = $179.99 + tax. Just got one for local pickup. I have had one of these drives on my PC for about 4 months and love it!

Coupon was in last nights circuit city email.

Enjoy!

·
Lean Forward
1,063 Posts
bkdtv said:
Keep in mind that drive may sound like a jet engine in your living room.
The actual idle spinning sound of the Barracuda 7200.10 in that enclosure is actually slightly quieter than the DB35, according to Seagate. It is the head seeks that are killer. So, a better metaphor may be the distracting sound of popcorn popping or the the annoyance of someone drumming their fingers on the table. And the upcoming Barracuda 7200.11 is even better than the DB35 acoustically and comes in a 1TB model to boot.

idle/seek 750 GB
30/31 db DB35 SATA
28/37 db Barracuda 7200.10 SATA
27/29 db Barracuda 7200.11 SATA

·
Dr_Diablo
916 Posts
Mr Pieces said:
The title says it all. I actually picked one of these up for my HR20 but it will work fine on the TiVo series 3 also!

$199.99 - 10% email coupon = $179.99 + tax. Just got one for local pickup. I have had one of these drives on my PC for about 4 months and love it!

Coupon was in last nights circuit city email.

Enjoy!
While browsing the sunday paper, I noticed that Office Depot had an add for the Seagate 750 external drive at, $159.00

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
While browsing the sunday paper, I noticed that Office Depot had an add for the Seagate 750 external drive at, $159.00
Are you sure it was Office Depot? I looked at their ad online and it didn't have that price. It was $90 more. I have a store credit there so I would love to be able to pick it up at that price. Thanks.

Mark

·
UHD Addict
24,278 Posts
You can get the WD 750GB drive from Newegg for $199 shipped and no taxes. Plus it also has acoustical management that can be enabled.

·
UHD Addict
24,278 Posts
Dr_Diablo said:
If your hard drive purchase is defective how much will it cost to repair/replace?
It was $7.50 for a UPS shipping label from Newegg.(It would have been $1 or $2 more if I did the shipping my self which probably would have been the case if I went through Western Digital) I have my replacements but I havent had a chance to put them in. I'm going to wait on my TiVoHD for a while plus I still have another Terabyte Hitachi drive I need to install in one of my Series 3 units. I wish I had never exhchanged my first TiVoHD.

·
Registered
42 Posts
aaronwt said:
You can get the WD 750GB drive from Newegg for $199 shipped and no taxes. Plus it also has acoustical management that can be enabled.
Do you know if the acoustical management can be enabled if you are using one of the USB to SATA conversion cables or if it needs to be directly connected to the SATA port? I only have a laptop and although the internal drive is SATA, and removable, you cannot plug a 3.5 drive directly into that port.

·
Dr_Diablo
916 Posts
aaronwt said:
It was $7.50 for a UPS shipping label from Newegg.(It would have been $1 or $2 more if I did the shipping my self which probably would have been the case if I went through Western Digital) I have my replacements but I havent had a chance to put them in. I'm going to wait on my TiVoHD for a while plus I still have another Terabyte Hitachi drive I need to install in one of my Series 3 units. I wish I had never exhchanged my first TiVoHD.
Which terra byte drive did you opt for?

I'm looking at a 500 Gig WD for now until the price of the biggins goes down...

By then the storage will have increased in the neighborhood of 5 to 30 TB...

Will the Tivo be able to keep up ?

·
Lean Forward
1,063 Posts
SAH2 said:
Do you know if the acoustical management can be enabled if you are using one of the USB to SATA conversion cables or if it needs to be directly connected to the SATA port? I only have a laptop...
The tool comes on a bootable DOS floppy disk or CD so generally not since there was no native DOS support for USB devices. However, if you are an adventuresome sort, there are latter day DOS USB projects out there that theoretically should work. Use the floppy version of the Feature Tool and then directly edit the floppy. It would be interesting to hear any results.

·
Ancient Member
1,133 Posts
markw365 said:
I just did the WD5000AAKS for $99 from Fry's. 64HD/607SD is what Tivo is reporting now. :)
what's the noise like on that one? As I'll be doing the USB-SATA thing .. I'm thinking I won't be running any AM software .. did you have to?

·
Registered
22 Posts
MirclMax said:
what's the noise like on that one? As I'll be doing the USB-SATA thing .. I'm thinking I won't be running any AM software .. did you have to?
It errored when I tried to turn on AM with hdparm, not sure if it took it or not. However the drive is very quiet. I have to really concentrate to hear it. Of course I'm sitting across the room from my 50" Sony Grand Wega rear projection LCD. I'm happy with it, and expect it to live quite some time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.