TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly Hunter starring in this one on TNT starting tonight. Anyone watching?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I never watched Highway to Heaven so I cannot judge but this looks to be edgier and I am tired of sickenly sweet "famiily friendly" crap. A review I read confirmed my suspicions that this is edgy and so is the Holly Hunter character.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sieglinde said:
I never watched Highway to Heaven so I cannot judge but this looks to be edgier and I am tired of sickenly sweet "famiily friendly" crap. A review I read confirmed my suspicions that this is edgy and so is the Holly Hunter character.
Yeah, this definitely looks to be a very dark show...I saw Highway to Heaven (ages me!), and I think this would be nearly the opposite.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just readthis review and it sounds almost exactly like I imagined an updated "Highway to Heaven" would work. The constant barrage of commercials for this during the past few Nascar races pretty much turned me off, but now that I know exactly what the show is and where it's going, I certainly won't watch.

I usually do like Holly Hunter though. If enough people around here say it's good, I might give it a shot.

·
Advanced TiVoOligan
1,119 Posts
I'll give it a 6. And I'll give it one more show before I cancel my pass.

·
Under Maintenance
25,847 Posts
Well it didn't grab me like I'd hoped it would, but I'm gonna give it a couple more episodes and see if I get hooked. Usually I know right away, but with Holly Hunter I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. The character ideas seem solid to me. I'm still interested enough to see where they can take it.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bicker said:
We've found it remarkably a little bit better than Damages, but not as good as The Closer, of course.
That's interesting because I can't stand the Closer. I gave it all the chance in the world, but I just couldn't track with it....oh well...

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I don't quite understand the love for The Closer, either. I watch it, but to me it's more just filling time or having something to watch. I don't find the stories compelling and I'm not a Kyra Sedgewick fan. I like the cast in general and I like crime shows, I guess that's what keeps me watching. I always thought "Wanted" was head and shoulders better than The Closer, but that went the way of most of what I like. Oh well.

I'm liking Saving Grace so far. I hope it turns out to be good and at least stays on the air long enough to find out.

·
bUU
9,953 Posts
The Closer was best explained by Joy Press in the Village Voice last year:
In the end, the appeal of The Closer lies more in Brenda's character than in plot suspense. It's often pretty obvious who the killer is, but the point isn't whodunit, it's howdshedoit? This heroine's speciality, after all, is "the close": The thrill comes from watching Brenda coax the killer into confessing his deepest secrets, and watching Brenda quietly and kookily betray her own.
So the show will appeal more to folks who find coming to know and like characters enjoyable.

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bicker said:
The Closer was best explained by Joy Press in the Village Voice last year:So the show will appeal more to folks who find coming to know and like characters enjoyable.
I guess that's my point, then, because I don't like her character...much as I tried to through several eps.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.