TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Meh.
42,781 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about DC's Sandman comics. Heck, I only know the Sandman as a Marvel character. I'll watch this though.

·
I am Groot!
63,707 Posts
Looks like it's gotten REALLY CLOSE to a series order at Netflix! ;)

It was a foundational comic book series. Maybe the first to really take root outside of the normal comics community.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,206 Posts
Amazing book(s). I really hope they do right by them in the Netflix series. I can't wait to start this tonight.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,206 Posts
I'm very hopeful given how involved Gaiman was. I had my quibbles with Good Omens (mainly the Four Horsemen were ... not good) but overall I really enjoyed that so I'm optimistic about this as well.

·
TakoKichi
14,421 Posts
Started Sandman tonite, a huge favorite for my son and me. He's a graphic novel fanatic and has the full bound Sandman collection in his library.

Sadly, within a few short minutes, I realized the Netflix copy released last night is nearly unwatchable. The aspect ratio is wrong...stretched in the vertical direction. Also, the focus feels really soft. Could be me be my normal visually picky self...

However, I poked around reddit and find an active discussion already underway. Many others notice the same issue. Some claim its an artistic choice, others (like me) think its a post production FAIL that needs to be corrected. Some claim the CGI elements are correctly rendered, just the human character scenes are stretched.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/wgy97j
I grabbed a copy to try in VLC and see if dinking with the aspect ratio improves...trying 2.55:1 as suggested on reddit. Hopefully, this issue is resolved and properly sized copies are posted to Netflix. Ugh, still not quite right to my eyes...

Screenshot Font Technology Hat Multimedia

·
I am Groot!
63,707 Posts
Sadly, within a few short minutes, I realized the Netflix copy released last night is nearly unwatchable. The aspect ratio is wrong...stretched in the vertical direction. Also, the focus feels really soft. Could be me be my normal visually picky self...
I've watched the first couple episodes, and while I can see what you're talking about, it seems obvious to me that it's deliberate. The effect is subtle, and it's only one of several distortions they use (most obviously, fishbowl lensing; I've also noticed odd focus pulls and dolly zooms). Although I'm visually picky myself (I've literally walked out of theaters when they overscan the screen, leaving the image cropped enough to be like fingernails on the blackboard of my eyeballs), this doesn't bother me at all. It's just pleasantly disorienting, in a way that feels clearly intentional.

·
TakoKichi
14,421 Posts
It's just pleasantly disorienting, in a way that feels clearly intentional.
Looks like it is intentional. I found a couple trailers from months ago, even an extended breakdown w Neil Gaiman describing parts of the story. The distortions are all there.

I'll give it another go, hoping the distraction does not get in the way of enjoying the story.

Oh, besides reading complaints about aspect ratio, many are also griping about the color grading. Crushed blacks, dark tones and macro blocking abound. So, I've got that to look forward to! ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Watched all 10 episodes. The comic was something I'd always heard about, but never got around to reading, so I don't know how true the series is to the original.

I'm glad Netflix dropped all of the episodes at once. It's a slow burn and I don't know that I would have enjoyed it as much if I'd had to watch it week to week.

I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the last few. Once Rose Walker showed up the story became ... I don't know. More conventional? It seemed to lose something.

I also though the resolution regarding the Vortex came out of nowhere and was a little too deus ex machina.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts