TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
AndyC_772 said:
Is there a Samsung utility to scan the disc and find out which one has failed?
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/hutil.htm

AndyC_772 said:
Has anyone had experience of dealing direct with Samsung? Am I right in expecting the worst from a call centre? :( Can I get an advance replacement so I can clone the old disc onto a new one?
www.rexo.co.uk deal with Samsung RMAs in the UK and are normally very efficient (3-4 days).

However, they don't do 'advance' RMAs AFAIK (no need to, unlike Maxtor:p) so your best bet is to get a replacement from somewhere else, clone your drive to that then RMA the broken drive and sell the RMA replacement as 'sealed, with manufacturer's warranty' on eBay.

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
TiVo eats all drives - the only difference is whether it has them for breakfast, lunch or tea :D:D

IMHO Samsung and Seagate drives are still the best choice for TiVo use. Samsung are quieter but Seagate have the 5 year warranty. Both are normally very reliable - although as with any product you will always get a small percentage that fail early.

Unfortunately, as you've guessed, your problem could be just a single dodgy sector - and while this would not be a problem in a PC, the TiVo has no code to force the drive to reallocate bad sectors, so it's bad news in a TiVo.

However, if you're up for a bit of down-n-dirty drive hacking, this howto appears to have the lowdown on forcing a sector reallocation. NB. I have not tried this method myself so cannot vouch for it. If you want to give it a go then you should obtain a working backup before starting :eek:

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
Ian, I think we've had this discussion before.

Like last time, I wasn't suggesting that he should sell it as having a full 3 year warranty - rather that it should be described accurately as sealed (which it will be) and with a manufacturer's warranty (which it will have) to whenever that warranty expires - eg. September 2008.

The failed drive is only a few months old, so the RMA warranty should extend at least two years, possibly longer. If he wants to describe the drive as a 'sealed manufacturer's replacement' (as I would) rather than just 'sealed' then that would clarify the matter even further, but in either case I don't think anybody could accuse him of misrepresenting the item.

I agree, there's not much point buying bare hard drives on eBay when prices at eBuyer etc. are hardly any higher, but some people like to think they're picking up a bargain by doing so, and who am I to deny them their little bit of pleasure? :)

·
tivoheaven.co.uk
5,577 Posts
iankb said:
your post suggested otherwise
How so?

blindlemon said:
sell the RMA replacement as 'sealed, with manufacturer's warranty'
OK, I didn't spell it out as I did when replying to your post, but I don't see how you can infer from the above that I'm suggesting anything one way or the other in relation to the length of warranty on offer.

iankb said:
Unless you buy from a wholesaler with large turnover, you are always in danger of buying old stock
I know they're not a wholesaler but, at last, there's a reason (apart from price) to buy from eBuyer :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.