TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
blindlemon said:
... sell the RMA replacement as 'sealed, with manufacturer's warranty' on eBay.
Unless Samsung differ from other manufacturers, the replacement drive will have had it's warranty period on their database reduced by the age of the old drive. Now I know why I would never buy a hard drive from an eBay seller. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
blindlemon said:
Like last time, I wasn't suggesting that he should sell it as having a full 3 year warranty - rather that it should be described accurately as sealed (which it will be) and with a manufacturer's warranty (which it will have) to whenever that warranty expires - eg. September 2008.
Fair enough, but your post suggested otherwise, and I didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

The reason why I don't like buying drives from any reseller is that you've no idea how long they have had the drive in stock, and most (if not all) manufacturers set their warranty period from date of manufacture. Unless you buy from a wholesaler with large turnover, you are always in danger of buying old stock, as from computer auctions, eBay, overpriced retailers (PC World?), etc.

The problem with TiVo drives is that they are used 24/7, and there is a strong likelyhood of needing to claim on warranty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.