TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot with S2s over the years. I still have a few with lifetime so try to connect occasionally to keep active. Most I switched to OTA to avoid the S03 errors when updating, way less channels than cable or satellite so the loads seem to work ok when OTA. But dual tuner models do not have OTA. So "stuck" with cable, satellite or cable and satellite when setting up. I have two, they were setup for cable so got S03 errors for a few days when updating, worked out eventually. However I foolishly decided to run guided setup on one to try something. Now stuck with S03 permanently I guess. The FIRST download after entering zip codes, downloads ok and starts to load. But almost immediately get the S03, never any % loaded. Before I did the guided setup I'd get S03s but they made it a bit further every time and eventually worked out. Now immediate, no load at all, never get past the first download after zip code (and yes, I've tried the 00000 and other zip codes, and some kickstarts but not the one that does a clear and delete everything as I would like to keep the recordings). May have bricked it, and cannot set to OTA since a dual tuner. Any suggestions? I've done the download, let it sit for a few days still plugged in, no difference. Also unplugged it for a few days after trying the download, still no difference. Always immediate S03, machine says you can "retry" or unplug and start over but neither works.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I certain I don't know the answer. I've run into the old S2 S03 many times over the last 20 years, without ever understanding what is actually going on. It sounds like you understand what's going on better than I do. The only time I've ever felt like I had any control over it is when I would force a connection shortly after a "garbage collection". I quote garbage collection because I've never understood when Tivo means by it.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reimage the drive.
Yeah I know I can do that but the point was to try to keep the recordings. Unless you mean there is a way to use an image to fix the boot with current info without losing recordings. Basically it's the size of the download for cable and/or satellite when it has not connected for awhile (over a couple months). So if I get an image that is up to date download wise could be ok. I have another dual tuner that IS up to date, so I could probably copy the drive and use it but of course would have to marry to the problem dual tuner Tivo. I'm thinking the recordings on the problem machine/drive may be gone permanently unless can just copy/update specific partitions. I can experiment, since all info is on the drive on S2 can try pretty much anything, if doesn't work just try again.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Assuming a tuning adapter is in play.
Disconnect the T/A reboot tivo and let it run.
After a day or three GC should complete, thus allowing a successful call home.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I got nuthin more other than what #3 said.
Yeah, I'll be able to get it to connect, just seems will lose recordings, 300GB drive (big for IDE). Only possible way to keep would possibly be partition manipulation, somehow copy boot/updated guide info to the drive while keeping program partitions intact. Well beyond my scope though would be fun to try if at all possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts