TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a series 2 that is having a problem with the video. The color of the tivo output seems to change to a very bright black and white over time. All output is affected, including the menus, live tv, etc.

This just started happening recently. For a while, the solution was to restart the Tivo and everything would go instantly back to normal. However, since it seems to be happening more often now, this has become really annoying.

EDIT: Disregard the following, as now the RF output is affected as well -->
For those others who are having this problem, I found a workaround (at least it works for now). It seems that only the RCA connections and the S-Video connections are affected by the problem. The RF output is still working normally.
<--

Now my question is this... since it would seem that the RF output is on a different circuit than the RCA/S-video outputs, does anyone think those other outputs can be repaired? I can solder basic electronics, so if there is a known component failure on the board somewhere it can be fixed. I just wouldn't know how to diagnose what is causing the problem (and I don't want to cause additional problems by poking the board with a multimeter).

Initially, I though the problem could be related to heat because the colors would change over time as the unit was running... but if this was the case then I don't think a warm reboot would fix it instantly.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info chip_r! I tried it on another TV and the problem is still there. Also, now it is happening on RF output as well... so all outputs are affected now.

If the RF buffer takes it's input from the composite signal, and it too no longer works... maybe there is a problem with the composite signal voltage and it is damaging the output buffer amps?

I really couldn't believe it when I turned on the TV today and the RF signal was bad too. I thought for sure I had that to rely on. Either a repair is needed or I will have to replace the unit. I would prefer a repair if possible. Any further advice?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.