TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Have you plugged the Tivo into another TV? It could be your TV input and not the Tivo output.

For the TiVo outputs, the composite (yellow) jack is a mixed version of the Y/C signals (S-Video). The RF output is a typically modulated off of the same composite signal. Although it's the same signal, the actual jacks have buffer amplifiers.

If the problem exists on both the composite and Y/C signals and not the RF, it's possibly a failing output buffer amplifier. From your description, the black level reference of the composite is drifting over time. That can easily mess up your black levels and your colors as you've described.

Without doing some serious troubleshooting, you might just be better off using the RF output. Regardless, try plugging your Tivo into another TV set if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd suspect since you're seeing it on all of the outputs, it's further back into the processing chain. Nowadays, things like video DACs and buffers are usually highly integrated (i.e. all in one big chip) so it sounds like you may want to contact weaknees.com or some other repair outfit and describe the problem. Tivo repair shops I'm sure see enough of the same problems that they could give you a rough repair estimate.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you're using S-Video and the color flips on and off in an instant, it's likely a loose S-video cable problem. Try pushing the plugs in. S-video is Y/C (Y=luminance=b&w and C = color). The mini-DIN plugs are notorious for falling out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.