TiVo Community Forum banner

Rumors

5390 Views 57 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  wco81
Does the release of a 6 tuner cable only Edge mean the rumors of the demise of QAM are greatly exaggerated?

Does the release of a 4 tuner OTA only Edge mean the rumors of the demise of ATSC 1.0 are greatly exaggerated?
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
No.

It is still on the same timeline it was on last week.

-KP
Reactions: 5
Does the release of a 6 tuner cable only Edge mean the rumors of the demise of QAM are greatly exaggerated?

Does the release of a 4 tuner OTA only Edge mean the rumors of the demise of ATSC 1.0 are greatly exaggerated?
What if they installed ATSC 3.0 and nobody came. Most people not buying a new TV may not even care. ATSC 1.0 will be with us for longer than people think.
Reactions: 1
What if they installed ATSC 3.0 and nobody came. Most people not buying a new TV may not even care. ATSC 1.0 will be with us for longer than people think.
I agree. WCIU (Now CW) is making a move from 26 to something else

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
What ATSC 1.0 rumors? ATSC 1.0 has to keep broadcasting for 5 years after ATSC 3.0 is deployed in a market. So no matter what OTA Edge has a 5 year life minimum.

As for QAM, it's not happening now, it's not happening a year from now, it's not happening in the short term, but it will happen slowly one MSO at a time. This is an extremely slow death that'll go on for years.
Reactions: 4
ATSC 3.0 has a much greater capacity for sub-channels than ATSC 1.0. Consumers might invest in a new TV, if they can receive additional channels. In my area, local channels have added 8 sub-channels in the past few years and new low power channels have popped up too. I think there is demand for additional content that does not require a subscription fee.
Reactions: 2
I agree. WCIU (Now CW) is making a move from 26 to something else

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Most OTA channels have to move to a new frequency over the next year or two. They are still on ATSC 1.0. You just have to re scan the channels on your exsiting TV.
What ATSC 1.0 rumors? ATSC 1.0 has to keep broadcasting for 5 years after ATSC 3.0 is deployed in a market. So no matter what OTA Edge has a 5 year life minimum.
Well, a number of stations and their consortium's have already asked for the process to be modified to allow reduction in the simulcast requirements (even as far as allowing flash cut-overs), but in any case, the current expectation is that in many markets a few stations will work together to share a (sacrificial) ATSC 1.0 transmitter which the sharing stations will move their (highly compressed, perhaps even below SD quality) primary channel(s) to in order to meet the ATSC 1.0 simulcast requirement while the stations move on to ATSC 3.0 on their (now) primary transmitter in (glorious?) 4K (also sharing that transmitter for 5 years until the sacrificial transmitter can be repurposed and the arrangements discontinued). Obviously this requires two (or more) stations that are otherwise strong competitors to work together, but as it will be in their best interests it will likely happen (and is even easier in the markets where a station owner owns more than one broadcaster).
ATSC 3.0 has a much greater capacity for sub-channels than ATSC 1.0. Consumers might invest in a new TV, if they can receive additional channels. In my area, local channels have added 8 sub-channels in the past few years and new low power channels have popped up too. I think there is demand for additional content that does not require a subscription fee.
That content is already streaming there are a lot of streaming only cord cutters with zero interest in OTA. OTA is a trainwreck in a lot of urban areas, you can't send signals through or around buildings. No more SD sub-channels just say NO :mad:.
... there are a lot of streaming only cord cutters with zero interest in OTA.
Except for the special few, no one cares about the delivery mechanism (OTA, or Netflix or Prime, or Sling, or ....). What they care about is the content. With all the sources of content available, it is true that some individuals will never want content from a network affiliate on any regular basis. And there are others who would not know what to do if they could not get their fix of 60 minutes every Sunday on CBS. More power to each to have options to get what they want, and at the same time to stop telling others what they must want.
Reactions: 4
Except for the special few, no one cares about the delivery mechanism (OTA, or Netflix or Prime, or Sling, or ....). What they care about is the content. With all the sources of content available, it is true that some individuals will never want content from a network affiliate on any regular basis. And there are others who would not know what to do if they could not get their fix of 60 minutes every Sunday on CBS. More power to each to have options to get what they want, and at the same time to stop telling others what they must want.
Could not disagree more. About 80% are cable consumers. All the content they want comes out of the box. Netflix/Prime compete with premium channels for supplemental programming. These people do not put up an antenna to get Heroes and Icons or LAFF. Most of the rest are antenna first. Netflix/Prime compete with each other for supplemental programming. Antenna first cord cutters do not get a cable box to watch the History Channel or MSNBC. A tiny slice of cable refugees are relying on a streaming service for programming. Netflix/Prime compete with each other for supplemental programming. People are not subscribing to all three to get all the programming. Netflix/Prime are not replacing anything -- still supplemental after a decade. Even Sports -- the anchor of cable tv -- is simply proving to be supplemental. No one is installing cable just to watch NESN or ESPN.

The determining factor as to whether people watch OTA programming is whether they have an antenna -- not what programming they want.
See less See more
Great more sub-channels filled with garbage TV.
No, let someone else decide for me.... lol.
The only good use of sub-channels I've seen is in northern Michigan. Most of the area is rural and can only get one, maybe two stations via antenna. To get around that they've added other stations that aren't available in that area as sub-channels.
To each his own. I actually watch subchannels quite a bit, and best of all it's free. There are people that spend 100 bucks a month to watch garbage on cable.
Reactions: 5
The determining factor as to whether people watch OTA programming is whether they have an antenna -- not what programming they want.
It's not whether or not they own an antenna, it's whether or not they can get reception at their location. I know several people that have cancelled cable and I have tried to help them set up their antenna. Unfortunately they live too far from the city or have an antenna that is not adequate for reception in their area. Where I live I'm in a "sweet spot" for OTA reception. I'm 10 miles outside NYC so I'm close enough to get a strong signal and don't have to worry about reception being blocked by tall buildings in the city.
It's not whether or not they own an antenna, it's whether or not they can get reception at their location. I know several people that have cancelled cable and I have tried to help them set up their antenna. Unfortunately they live too far from the city or have an antenna that is not adequate for reception in their area. Where I live I'm in a "sweet spot" for OTA reception. I'm 10 miles outside NYC so I'm close enough to get a strong signal and don't have to worry about reception being blocked by tall buildings in the city.
This, I would have OTA if I could get reception. These days OTA is even better with sub channels like METV etc.
This, I would have OTA if I could get reception. These days OTA is even better with sub channels like METV etc.
If you want to PM me the gps coordinates of the location of your proposed antenna, I can speculate to reception and possibly recommend an antenna. No doubt some people are out of range, but I have pulled in stations from 70 miles away -- and my antennas are in the attic.
In Boston, this is a bigger problem with the premium providers than broadcast television. The only major diginet not on my dial is AntennaTV. Heroes and Icons and LAFF are my favorites, but StartTV, DABL, MeTV, ThisTV, the four PBS subs, Cozi, Escape, GRIT, Charge, Comet, BUZZR, GetTV, Bounce, ION, IONLife, and Qubo all offer worthwhile programming.
The cable companies will milk QAM as long as they can. The infrastructure to support it is bought and paid for.

The real obstacle in the way of getting a new Tivo and continuing to subscribe to cable is all the great content on streaming with more content and services coming.

That's how I see it at least.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.